Warning: If you are offended by a plethora of pictures, hot cops, and sappy wives completely in love with their incredibly incredible husbands, this blog post is not for you.
Saturday, January 17th has come and gone. The day we never thought would come. The day we counted down to and prayed would arrive swiftly and without a great deal of agony or pain.
The day Popeye was scheduled to graduate from the academy.
It was a long six months. A long, long six months. For both of us. Er, all three of us, I should say. I felt like a single parent a lot of the time. Popeye was so tired and overwhelmed and busy with studying and boot shining and laundry when he got home from work that it was hard to ask him to help me with chores and parenting, let alone require it. And Swee'Pea... oh, dear Swee'Pea. He got lost in the shuffle many times. Days would go by when we hardly saw each other, let alone our son. What an independent boy he learned to be, playing on his own while Popeye studied or worked on reports, eating dinner without help while I busied to grade papers or prepare meals or get things in order for the next day's activities.
In the end, it was all worth it. The crying, the pain, the stress, the worry, the work, the demands, the hours spent on bended knee in prayer that Popeye would finish each day safely and would make it through the hardest thing he has ever had to conquer.
In the end, it was so all worth it.
I waited, full of anxiety, for Popeye to come home from academy the night of the 16th. Tonight was the final night. The night that would decide if he would come home a deputy, or a defeated man. He shuffled in after 11pm, earlier than I had expected him, but without any indication on his face if he had good or bad news to share. He walked over to where I was bustled up in a pile of covers and handed me a slip of paper containing his name and four numbers. "Do you know what this is?" he asked simply. I was cautious to answer, not sure if this was a trick or if he was just delaying the inevitable of telling me something had gone wrong. "You badge number?" I hesitantly answered. "Yes."
"Yes."
That simple answer threw me into a whirlwind. I wanted to know everything, detail after detail. I was so thrilled I could hardly contain myself. It was true, he was done, he was a deputy! I was delighted to share in this momentous occasion with him, but devastated when he shared that one of their top men was lost that night when he failed a scenario. It broke my heart to think of him, shuffling in the door late in the night much like Popeye had just moments before to an unsuspecting wife, only to share with her much different news than he had shared with me.
The next morning was a flurry of dressing and prepping as Popeye left after just 2 1/2 hours of sleep to head to his graduation while I arranged meeting times and seating numbers for our family and friends who were expected to attend the ceremony. I was giddy when I arrived at the theater and spotted my love from a distance, dressed in his new formal uniform and armed with his new gun and a smile that could be seen from miles away.
Moments later the lights dimmed, introductions were made, and the 40 men and women how had successfully completed the 26 weeks of rigorous training marched in step to the center of the stage.

Flags were brought out, the deputies saluted, and it was all I could do to contain my emotions during the National Anthem.



I may or may not have bawled my eyes out throughout the singing of the National Anthem... or, ehem, the entire program.

Swee'Pea spent a majority of his time eating random snacks that the oh-so-courteous staff at the snack bar gave us. I'm well aware that hot dog buns and popcorn are the not the ideal treat for a 16-month-old, but it kept him happy, so I was delighted.
Many speeches were said. One compared regular, law-abbiding citizens to sheep, following the rules and regulations of society and doing what is right and good by all. But lurking in the world all around them are the wolves, taking any opportunity they can to steal and destroy and harm the sheep. This is why the world needs deputies, or sheep-dogs, who can keep the peace, protecting the sheep and restoring order when the wolves get out of hand.
Another speech, given by the class leader, really hit my heart. He described how someone he had knew who had been in the force for 30+ year told him that he had spent his whole life protecting people he didn't know. Now that he was retiring, this young man would carry on that tradition, protecting people he would never meet, and who never knew the good he was doing in their community. People who never thought twice about tucking their children safely in their beds and sleeping without a worry or care in the world about the dangers that could be lurking outside. He ended with telling the audience to sleep peacefully that night, because there were 40 more deputies on the street that desired nothing more than to protect the people of this county. Those words still shock me days later, when I realize how unappreciative and how completely for granted I've taken the deputies and police officers in this town... I hear so many people complain about the crime and the gangs and the drugs in our communities... but do they ever stop to think of how much they have been protected from?

Class leader speaking... yep, I cried through this too!
It was them time to present awards. The first went to four people who helped the academy tremendously by participating in scenarios. The guy in the middle apparently "killed" Popeye's partner at one point. Popeye said these people were incredible in their acting, and really helped the cadets to train for real-life situations.

Next came the cadet awards. The three main categories were academics, top gun (shooting), and physical fitness.
Popeye was awarded with the top cadet in academics trophy. He finished with a 95.9% average, and was the only cadet to score 90% or above on every. single. test. he took through through the academy. Let me tell you, I cannot BELIEVE the amount of studying he had to do... he has three four-inch binders, five 2-inch binders, and a stack at least three-reams tall full of material he had to study and test on. This accomplishment was amazing, to say the least.

After the three category awards were given, they announced that they would give a top overall cadet award to the person who scored the overall highest average in all categories. The cadets were tested on so many different areas, and had to pass scenario after scenario where they had to make life-and-death decisions in an instant. They also spent a week at the shooting range, EVOK (driver training), and countless hours learning defensive tactics, ground fighting, baton work, etc.
Needless to say, I could hardly contain my screams of shock and overwhelmed excitement when they announced Popeye's name as the winner of this award.

This award was so deserved! He worked so amazingly hard!

The face of complete and utter shock and amazement. I can't believe I am married to this incredible man!
Finally, with the awards and speeches said and done, it was time to pin the badges on each new Deputy Sherriff. I could only imagine what Popeye must have been feeling at that proud moment... everything he had studied and worked for and the good that he believes in is represented by that amazingly shiny and beautiful badge.

Kern County Sheriff Donny Youngblood doing the honors of pinning one of his newest deputies.

The 40 newest cops of Kern County taking their oath to serve and protect the citizens who live here.
With his badge pinned on over his heart and his oath taken, the graduation ended and we were off to celebrate Popeye's amazing accomplishments. Apparently it is a bit faux pas to make-out with a deputy while in uniform... but I had to admit, it was hard to resist throwing myself at him full force and kissing him with complete abandon.
I was so excited to have everyone together to rejoice with Popeye a
nd our family on this incredible day. I tried my hardest to keep the day just as Popeye had requested... simple, relaxing, and chock full of Mexican food and yummy salsa.
Everyone was in great spirits as we laughed and talked and celebrated the afternoon away. We took picture after picture, posing with the man of the hour and enjoying the day with loved ones and friends.

Papa said a wonderful prayer for Popeye... he is a wonderful father and is so proud of his son!

Two of the proudest parents I've ever seen... Mama2 still calls almost daily and tells Popeye in amazement, "I can't believe you are a cop!"


This is what a giddy-in-love couple looks like after the husband finishes making it through 6-months of H.E.L.L. Okay, this is also what it looks like when a woman is trying to kiss her man-in-uniform and he is trying to play keep away in front of the camera.

I love these two little munchkins. They were so worried about Uncle Popeye after watching the video of all the things he had to go through during his training. They are very aware now that he is a "good guy" and he is going to protect them from the "bad guys." You know, like people who break the rules and stuff. :)

I know Scott sleeps better at night knowing his little brother is just over the fence, ready to protect him...

Already telling stories and talking "cop" talk...

Two of my best friends... if it wasn't for this beauty, I would have never met or married Popeye... and it if it wasn't for her supporting me on the other end of my bazillion text messages, I'm not sure I would have made it through the past six months of training as well as I did...

Two of Popeye's oldest and dearest of friends drove hours to get to see him graduate. We had ourselves quite the little Wii/Newcastle/Seven Layer Dip party with them later that evening...

Mama2 was hilarious... she wanted Popeye's awards to be shown in EVERY picture... she was SUCH a proud mama that day!
The original six.
And then there were ten.
Already playing cops and robbers...
While we were partying it up, a little "incident" occurred. A masked and armed robber came into the house and tried to break up the party, but he was quickly apprehended by the new Deputy.

The Deputy being confronted by the armed man...

Putting his new-found skills and quick-thinking into overdrive, the Deputy was able to subdue the suspect...

He was taken into custody, and questioned...

The world is a safer place, with Deputy Popeye guarding the streets...




I cannot even begin to describe how incredibly proud of this man I am. He is finally leaving the life he has dreamt of since he was just a little boy. From his first ride-along in high school to the moment he made the decision to apply to the force back in October 2007, he has never given up the hope of serving his community and its people. The rode was a long and hard one, with days that seemed unending and nights that were never long enough. But he made it through, and is strong because of it. I am so, so in love with him, and I am so grateful for all he has done and been willing to sacrifice to provide for our family and to obtain a career that is so selfless to the core. I love this man. Oh, how I love this man. And I am so proud and thrilled and honored to call him my husband.
Thank you, Lorie Beth, for taking so many beautiful pictures of our day so I could spend the time being smitten over my husband. I love you, sister!




YAY! I have been waiting for this post! I love love love allllll the pictures :) What a wonderful day for you and your family! I am so proud to have known Popeye and to now get to "know" him and his beautiful family through your blog! Thank you for sharing! Congrats again to you both for surviving!
ReplyDeleteOh and thank you again to the Deputy for helping to keep this town free of the bad guys :)
What a wonderful day that was!!! I was so happy Kyle and I could make the trip up to be there for Mark and you. It was seriously the best graduation I've ever been too... and I listened to every word. And I'm not gonna lie... I got a bit choked up in the beginning too. Obviously I didn't experience the academy the way you and Mark did, but I feel like I had some sort of idea what all those cadets (and their families) went through because of everything you shared with me. I was so proud for Mark, but at the same time, so proud of all these men and women who all when through the exact same 6 months. What an accomplishment.
ReplyDeleteCongrats Mark! Everybody is so proud of you and so happy for your accomplishment!
I'm so glad you finally posted about last Saturday. I was so proud of Popeye and of you. You both, along with Swee-Pea have been through so much in the past 6 months.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry I missed Popeye's award announcement and your glee. Swee-pea, Colleen and I heard crazy applause and stepped back in from the lobby in time to see Popeye shaking hands and grinning. Swee-pea was looking for a snack and Colleen was coughing like crazy. Me? Um, I was guiding the little guy away from the jumbo pepsi!
The photos are great and the two of you look so happy. You threw a great party and it was perfectly relaxing, just like Officer Popeye wanted.
Mission Acomplished!
I am so happy for you two! What an accomplishment! You made it!! I loved this post and will admit I was getting a little teary. :) Popeye worked so hard and it all paid off. Congrats to Popeye!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post and tribute to your husband and all the hard work he put in to get to where he is now. I can tell you are SOOO proud of him. I was reliving Bryan's graduation day as I was reading this, it was a great reminder to me to truly NEVER take for granted all he does everyday and especially in the mornings when he walks back in the door. The support you have around you is amazing and it will be good to have when the job gets tough on him and you. I think you deserve some credit too for the job you have you done to support him and your son through the academy and the commitment to do so through his career. It is a roller coaster, but a fun one.
ReplyDeleteoh, congratulations to your husband, and to you!! This is so exciting. It's wonderful to see how proud of him you are-- with very good reason, most certainly.
ReplyDeleteThe pictures are wonderful. You're such a cute couple. :)
What a fantastic post! You have every reason to be proud of what your husband has accomplished, and I'm sure he couldn't have done it without you being there by his side and supporting him. You both look so great together! Thanks for sharing this special day with your readers.
ReplyDeletethis is an awesome post, christie! i am so proud of mark and all the amazing awards- thats so cool!
ReplyDeleteyou guys look really great too!
What a beautiful family you guys are! Tell Popeye that I feel safer knowing that he lives within walking distance (even though I've NEVER walked over to your house). What a studly smartie he is with all of his awards! With parents like you guys, Sweetpea is bound to be top dog!
ReplyDeleteAhhhhh!! Congratulations to all 3 of you! What an incredibly strong wife you are to have made it through to the other side with him. I'm so happy about the awards he won- it just makes it that much sweeter! You have a lot to be proud of, yourself and him!
ReplyDeleteI got all teary again. It is such an accomplishment. You have sacrificed much but gained so much more. I'm so proud of both of you.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to you both! This is so wonderful for your whole family! And you were far from sappy, but yet utterly proud. You are so lucky to have each other to lean on and celebrate life with. Here's to you and your new chapter in life!
ReplyDeleteOf course this made me think of Joe's graduation... 3 years ago this month! Congratulations to you both... you make a great team!! One couldn't have done it without the other, that is for sure. And it will continue to be that way since it is a definite lifestyle, not just a "job". Does he have to do field training next? If so, I would encourage you to keep lovin' on him and supporting him as I remember that being tougher on Joe than the academy. Thanks for all the kind comments you have left me too. I appreciate them so much!
ReplyDeleteThis is so awesome! I got tears in my eyes reading your post. Congrats to Popeye and also to you...it takes one heck of a woman to support her man in that way. So happy for you guys!
ReplyDeleteAhh, what an absolutely beautiful post!! I think I was beaming just reading it! Tell Popeye that I, too, am so proud of him and all he accomplished in the academy! What a huge accomplishment! And, although I'm not in Bako anymore, I'm so glad I can rest assured that all my friends are a little safer tonight b/c he's out there! :) Congrats to you guys for making it through!
ReplyDelete