I woke up Saturday early to prim and prep and drive to Shafter for one of my favorite activities of my week: Junior Miss practice. I spent 5 hours dancing and laughing and coaching and talking and teaching girls to "be their best selves..."
And then I headed home to do what my husband has been begging me to do for months:
Go shootin'.
We met my brother, picked up Papa, and headed back out to Shafter to an abandoned cattle ranch to play target practice. My brother is a big gun man... and Popeye's interest has peaked dramatically since entering the academy. Papa swears he is going to buy a gun any day now.
I, however, have always had a deep fear and apprehension about guns. Knowing myself and the fact that I practically amputated my own foot falling in the bathroom, I just don't trust myself around them. I would be the person that shoots myself in the foot just looking at the gun. Me and guns, they just don't sound like they go well together.
But I finally gave in to my husband's begging, put on my smile, and headed out with them to get my gun on.

The day was cloudy and overcast... but seemed perfectly dreary and beautiful even amongst the trash and old mattresses we were target practicing with.

My brother just got a new revolver to add to his collection to multiple guns... is it weird that I referred to the gun as "so cute!"

I felt safer somehow out there knowing I was with an official Deputy...

Papa up to shoot first... um, he was pretty hardcore good. At least he could hit the target...Unlike other people I know.

I was next... the goal was to hit that white bucket in front of me. That is the goal. In all actuality, I think the closest I got to it was about a zillion feet away. Okay, so maybe one bullet out of the fifteen I shot from that magazine hit the bucket, but that is a pretty high estimate... :)

Apparently I have really bad shooting form... but do you know how hard it is to stand straight when that gun is blowing you back?! A majority of the time Popeye or my brother had to stand behind me for support. I have a zillion times more respect for the chicks who graduated from the academy with Popeye after shooting his gun... they are seriously hardcore.

My baby brother helping me shoot an old shot gun. Apparently this is the weaker of all the ones he has. I thought my arm was going to rip off. But at least I hit the bucket with this one!

Checking out the damage he did on the target guy. Right after this my camera died and I didn't get the hardcore pictures I wanted to get of Popeye and my brother blowing this guy away. Can I just say that my husband is an I.N.C.R.E.D.I.B.L.E. shot. Like, can hit the same spot fifteen times in a row. He also blew the head right off of this target man. Wow. I have to say, I couldn't contain myself from telling him how hot he was shooting that gun. Hot, hot, hot.
If shooting guns with the guys isn't white trash enough, I made the afternoon more complete by having to pee behind an old fence and then finding a cow skeleton in the dirt. I tried to bring home a bone for Mama2's dog, but as the bone weighed about 20 times more than the dog, Papa and Popeye didn't think that was a great idea...
After a couple of hours of shooting we headed to McDonalds for some cheeseburgers and fresh apple pies. The only thing missing was a couple of 40's and our beer cozies... I guess that will have to come next time we go out. :)
How do you spend YOUR typical Saturday afternoons?




OMG! That is so incredibly funny! Of course, now that I think of MY Saturday I think we did almost the same amount of White Trash Activities.
ReplyDeleteWe took my trailblazer down to have new tires put on it and get it alligned. While we waited we cruised around and looked at property/houses in the neighborhoods we liked. We found a few.
When the car still wasn't done, we went to 2nd Ammendment Sports, rented a gun, bought some bullets and a target man and proceeded to empty the gun into the man. Yeah, it was fun but not quite as WT as your shooting adventure. Apparenty it is THE thing to do on Saturday's though as there was a HUGE line of people waiting to do the same thing when we came out. Our guns that we bought will be picked up on the 1st!
Oh, and it's not really peeing outdoors unless you are holding yourself up against a rock or a wall, trying like crazy to "Relax and just go" and turn around and see that you've been leaning against something covered in little ants or other nameless bugs. Now THAT is really peeing outdoors!
HaHa, Your form is hysterical. But hey, I'm impressed you tried! I want a wee little gun but John is afraid I'll blow his head right off, though I'm COMPLETELY 100% sure I'd be more like Popeye, shooting the same spot 15 times in a row. Yah, I'd be hot stuff too:)
ReplyDeleteoooh I've alway wanted to go shooting! love the pics!
ReplyDeleteYou are such a trooper to go and do this stuff. We like to nap on Sundays. That's my favorite way to spend a Sunday. I like to be lazy! Too bad it rarely happens.
ReplyDeleteyou look great with a gun!
ReplyDeleteHAHAHAHAHA!!! That is so hilarious!!! Sounds like a fun day! Obviously it was legal, since Mark was out there doing it, but I had NO CLUE you can just go out and shoot guns. Hmmm... the things I am learning. :-)
ReplyDeleteI bet with a little bit of practice, you'd be an excellent shot too. You'll just have to hit the shooting range a couple times a week. You should totally go do it in secret and then impress Mark and all the guys the next time you guys go out shooting. That would be hilarious.
I am totally LOL'ing at See Sherm's comment!!! That would be so funny!
ReplyDeleteBut kudos to you for trying! I am also deathly afraid of even being in the same vacinity as a gun. I guess I've watched too many soap operas or something! HA!!
Oh yeah, so your foot must be doing ok since you had 2 tennies on???
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you guys had fun! I like to go shooting with Kurt. He even bought me my own shotgun! I know I am so hardcore. LOL Handguns make me hervous so I leave that to him.
ReplyDeleteOh beer coozies are way to classy to be WT. You have to have your 40 in a brown paper bag. ;)
Welcome to my life. Pretty soon you'll be pouring over the Cabella's catalog and become a hardcore follower of sniperhide.com! Just wait till your husband has an arsenal and insists on you "giving up closet space to make room for the new gun safe"...
ReplyDeleteI'm so jealous. I love to shoot guns. I find it a huge stress reliever. I like a 9m and a 45 myself. My husband was actually scared at how good a shot I was. :) He better watch it!
ReplyDeleteOK, so do you know Betty and Audra from Junior Miss? I know they have helped out with that for years but I am not sure if they still do now. They go to my church.
ReplyDeleteYou are so much braver than me! I'm so scared of guns but you look awesome, even if your form is off. :) I would have no idea anyway. LOL.
We like to go shooting, too, but i feel more comfortable in a range. I'm a terrible shot, but we have a pretty good collection of guns that The Colonel inherited from his brother. It's been a while since we've been out though - actually we haven't been since Lil Major was born.
ReplyDeleteKeep practicing!!