It is official. We are in love with Utah.
After three trips to Utah without him, Popeye finally decided he had had enough and wanted to find a way to make the trip with us so he could partake in all the fun. By chance, he happened to have a full weekend off (his first in eleven months), and we jumped at the chance to head over to my parent's condo. We hit the road around 7:30 at night and made it just across the Utah state line around 2:30 am. The next morning we woke up early and headed to WalMart. Because sometimes you forget to bring snow pants on trips when snow pants are crucially necessary. And sometimes your husband has no snow clothes and has to go on a full-on shopping spree. And sometimes these shopping sprees take all morning. Ehem. Anyway. We got our errands done and headed up the mountain where we were greeted by frigid winds and well over 100 inches of glorious Utah powder.
It. Was. Amazing.
We spent the first day sledding and playing in the snow before crashing in front of a crackling fire. The next day we dropped Swee'Pea off at his ski camp and then got Mark set up with some ski lessons of his own. I took my Bible study and my kindle and headed to the lodge for several hours of nothing but peace and quiet. Popeye was amazed later that evening when I laid across the couch and told him we had no plans and we could just lay around in our pajamas watching movies.
"I've never, ever seen you relax like this. Even on vacation!" he said.
For reals, people. There is just something about Utah that is magically relaxing to me. So relaxing I might even consider taking a nap next time I'm there.
Our last full day we spent an hour or so tubing in the morning before Popeye was ready to hit the slopes again and Swee'Pea was plumb tuckered out. We headed back to the condo to make lunch and rest a bit before Swee'Pea got to meet up with daddy for a last bit of skiing.
It was a quick, cold trip. But it was made perfect by the fact that I was there with my two favorite people in the whole, wide world. After nearly a year of not having a single weekend with my husband, it was pure bliss. I left with a happy, full heart and a million little memories I will cherish forever.
Thank you, Utah, for being so special. For being so magical. And for being so wonderfully peaceful when I needed it most.
Swee'Pea is a total pro at the tubing park now.
I may have sat all day and stared at amazement at my belly as I felt the first tiny flutters of our sweet babe. And I may or may not have inhaled this amazingly delicious soft pretzel with spicy cheese.
My ski bunnies.
Swee'Pea practically ran from me to get into kid's camp. We may or may not have gotten out of him later that evening that he kinda sorta thought his counselor Katie was pretty. ;)
The only time I get to be near a lift is when its closed for the day. Boo. Maybe next season I'll finally get a chance at the slopes??

Everything is more fun when daddy comes along.
Digging a hole to sleep in... "like a polar bear!"










snow makes me so so happy. i love all these pictures.
ReplyDelete