Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Hot Hawaiian.

A little over a month ago I actually started enjoying real food again.  Like, really enjoying it.  And like a breath of fresh air, all my favorites were back in my life.  Well, except coffee.  RIP, dear friend.  RIP.

Anyway.

Something that I suddenly had a serious craving for one night was a Hot Hawaiian Pizza from Me 'N Ed's Pizza.  It was all I could think about.  So much so that I dragged my less than thrilled husband and our friends to our local (filthy) Me 'N Ed's one night just so I could get my hands on one of these bad boys.

And it. was. worth. it.

But since then I've wanted it again.  and again.  and again.  But alas our budget (and our patience) doesn't allow room for eating out to pizza once (or three) times a week.  So I had to figure out how to make it on my own.

I've made it once a week since figuring it out.  And I'll probably make it once a week until I deliver this hungry baby.  Because it is that good.  Also because it is super cheap to make.  I have most of the ingredients on hand all the time.  The only special thing I buy is the dough, sauce, and Canadian Bacon, and the bacon lasts me for two pizzas because I only use half a package.  

If you're looking for something tasty to spice up your next pizza night at home, please try this!  It is deliciously worth every bit of work.

Hot Hawaiian Pizza

Ready made pizza dough (I get mine super cheap at WinCo)
White sauce (they use Garlic Alfredo, I get Ranch Garlic at Winco.  So good)
Chicken (I use leftover roasted chicken I get at Costco)
Mozzarella Cheese
Cheddar Cheese
Canadian Bacon
Pineapple Tidbits
Fresh Jalapeno
BBQ Sauce
Bacon* 
(the real Hot Hawaiian has diced cooked bacon on it.  I'm not a bacon fan or feel the need to eat it on things other than BLT's, so I don't add this.  Popeye comments every time he thinks it needs it.)

Step One: Spread out your dough.  
This dough looks hideous, I'm aware.  I've always had good luck with my dough (tonight's was beautiful!) but this one was like on it's last day before expiration and had expanded a lot in the bag, maybe that is why??? It tasted wonderful but it was not something  beautiful I would want to serve to guests.  Anyway, I spray my hands and pizza pan with PAM and lay my crust down and spread it all out into a janky nice circle.
Step Two: Spread on some white sauce.
This container is tiny and is more than enough for us to make two pizzas.  I don't like a ton of sauce, just enough to put a thin layer on the crust.
Step Three: Sprinkle on some cheese.
You don't need much at all!  It doesn't even fully cover it.  I do a mix of sharp cheddar and mozzarella. I always grate my own.  Pre-grated cheese gives me the heebee-jeebees.  Is that weird?

Step Four: Mix up some thickly shredded chicken in BBQ sauce.
We use Sweet Baby Ray's.  The best.  It isn't a ton of chicken, maybe 1/2-3/4 cup?  I never measure, I just eyeball.

Step Five: Slice up some fresh jalapenos.
Seriously.  These will burn your face off.  And we love hot.  We slice them much thinner than this now.  And even then my face burns off.  You NEED the spice for the pizza.  But just try not to get a whole slice in your mouth at once.
Step Six: Assemble your pizza
First the sauce, then the light sprinkling of cheese.  Then I put about five-six large pieces of Canadian Bacon.  My package usually has like ten pieces so I use half each week I make it.  Then I put the chicken all over.  Then I put lots of drained pineapple all over.  Then the jalapeno slices.  Finally I cover with some BBQ sauce.  Mmmm.

Bake at about 375 degrees for 20-22 minutes (watch until edges are nice and toasted brown and it should be done).  I find the key to having a nice crust that isn't soggy in the middle is my pizza pan.  It is an air bake pan with holes all over it that allow air and heat flow.  I get a perfect crust every time!

And maybe it is just me, but I can't eat a pizza without a nice green salad as a side.

Yum!

Please tell me if any of you make this and what you think!  Also, what kind of yummy dishes are you all addicted to making at your homes?  I'm always desperate for new dinner ideas!

5 comments:

  1. it makes me want to cry that i'm allergic to cheese because i want to eat pizza soooo bad.

    and your salad looks lovely with the mushrooms. love mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what in the cheese that you allergic to, but you might try vegan cheese, it says it melts the same as dairy cheese and they claim it tastes the same.

      Delete
  2. You can also buy premade pizza dough at your local Papa Murphy (take and bake)place. We call them pizza blanks, they're pretty cheap at $2.00 and then we buy a jar of alfredo, a ready-to-eat chicken, bacon and some cheese and you've got a pizza on the cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are partial to BBQ chicken pizza around here. And it has to be sweet baby rays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might try a gluten-free version of this!

    ReplyDelete