I'd been wanting to take a trip down to the La Brea Tar Pits for quite some time. "Let's make a sister day of it!" we decided. We loaded up the kids into two mini vans and set off for Los Angeles. "Why do people think we are crazy for going on adventures without our husbands? This is so easy!" I declared to Sister #1 as we headed down the freeway. Kids were happy. Movies were playing. Adults were chatting away.
And then lightening struck and Jesus punished me for my sinful ways.
J/k.
Kinda.
A pit stop at Lions for little ones to pee.
One sister (innocently and accidentally) left behind.
A flurry of texts and phone calls.
Stop for a picnic lunch at In N Out (because we are cheap).
Left behind sister catches up. All is well.
An hour-and-a-half later we are on the road with a newly renewed AAA membership and a recharged battery so we thought.
A lovely few hours checking out the antique animals (not dinosaurs, people. Excuuuuuuse me.)
A history lesson on the horror that was the tar pits. Elephants and vultures and wolves, oh my!
A real life paleontologist or archologist or whatever they were. Finding real bones! In tar!
Another dead car battery.
Several rounds of duck-duck-goose and far too many snacks.
Using the the bushes for a potty (don't judge. you weren't there.)
Another call to AAA.
Lots of calls to find a battery.
Ninety minutes of waiting because apparently this van battery does not exist.
A race to the beach to enjoy the last few minutes of sunlight.
Jelly fish!
Freezing children!
A 30-minute detour through Hollywood to find the area's only Chick-Fil-A (God Bless America).
Free waters and free cones in our jammies (because we are cheap).
Switching car seats full of sleeping children and one last stop for coffee because it was desperately needed.
Sleepy children in the backseat, lots of good conversation in the front.
Home by 12:30 am to climb into bed next to my passed out husband who sleepily asked, "How was it?"
Dear Lord, I know now why we go on adventures with our husbands....
The day was amazing.
Perfect in all its imperfections.
And I'm continuously reminded why I am so stinking thankful for this family I married into.
So thankful for God's divine plan back when I was 14 to meet this amazing husband of mine.
To bring us through thick and thin and break-ups and fights and infertility to have this beautiful son.
Born the same week as two cousins and two months before another.
Our children who adore each other.
Sisters I'd do anything for.
Because YES the day had its hard moments where we could have easily screamed and said harsh words or acted like brats.
But we hugged and we shrugged it off and we loved on each other and each others children.
And we made a million happy little memories that I wouldn't trade in for the world.
It was a pretty great day. A pretty great day.




BEST. DAY. EVER. for reals. husbands shmusbands ;)
ReplyDelete