Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Homeschooling... the past several weeks.

Four weeks into homeschooling we took a two-week vacation break.  It was fantastic and it really made me appreciate homeschooling even more.  I love that we can work a few weeks and then take a break with no worries of missing class or making up work.  We just picked up where we left off when we got home!  The first few days back were difficult, I won't lie.  Swee'Pea was pushing the limits and testing what he could get away with, both in daily life and in school time.  I struggled with deciding when I was disciplining as a mother, and when I was disciplining as a teacher.  We worked through it, and with lots of support from a good friend who also a homeschooling mom and lots and lots of prayer, we made it through.  I get SUCH INCREDIBLE JOY seeing Swee'Pea learn and work through the tough stuff, and I love being able to relate to him on a whole new level.  

The past few weeks we have been hard at work.  We've learned about the Great Flood and the Tower of Babble.  We've finished our first 26 reading lessons and are now on to short-a words.  In phonics we have completed half of our first book (short-a and short-i words) and are on to short-u words.  In Math we continue to work on time and shapes and colors and have moved on to counting by 10s and adding!  Whew!  I am excited to start science in the fall.  We have a list a mile long of animals we can't wait to study!

We got a call last week from Swee'Pea's resource teacher at the charter school we are homeschooling through.  I was thrilled it was the teacher we had requested.  Her student load was totally full in the Spring and I was told I wouldn't be able to get her, but God must have heard our prayers that we would be matched with a resource teacher that would be a perfect fit and she had a spot open up.  Praise the Lord!  Another indication to me that this is EXACTLY what we are supposed to be doing this year.  She was very supportive of us doing our own curriculum and we had a great chat about what this school year will look like for us.  We set up an appointment for us to meet and for her to assess Swee'Pea.  She was extremely encouraging and gave me lots of positive feedback when I told her what we had been doing this summer and all about his progress.  I can't wait to meet her in person!

I am not sure what school will look like this fall when I go back to work.  I am so thankful we have almost a full quarter of kindergarten under our belts and that I am not trying to start a few school year and a new homeschooling routine at the same time.  The first few weeks will be exhausting and tough, but like everything else in life, they will fly by.  Before we know it will be a settled routine, one that I look forward to with great joy.  No matter how crazy or stressful or difficult this road may be, my heart is full and I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to teach my son.  Thank you Jesus!

And now for a few pictures of the past few weeks...

Noah's Ark.  I cried doing this unit.  It spoke a lot at the end of how the people continued to sin, even after the flood, but that God had an even greater plan.  A redeeming Saviour.  Chills.
We love to read to daddy any chance we get!
Working on phonics.  We are halfway through our first book.  Wowza!
We are now on Book 9 of our first set of Bob books.  He now has to read mixed vowel sounds and has learned what a question mark is.
His favorite thing to do is sit in my lap when he is working on his reading and phonics.  This mama does not mind one bit!
He always wants to wear his pirate ring during school.  And he only uses the pencils daddy brought him from work.  Very particular, this child of mine.  
He LOVES finding the secret word during phonics lessons.  Camping!  Yeah!  We love camping!
We are up to adding now people.  ADDING!  It is so fun to see him get excited over his progression in math.  It is BY FAR his favorite subject, so we do it at the end of all our lessons so he is excited to get to it.
Working on money now.  I asked him the other day who he thought was on the penny and he said Ronald Reagan.  Daddy has taught him well (best president ever).
First spelling test.  He did great!
I love this little boy so much!  I get such delight seeing him grow and learn and challenge himself.  I truly can't imagine doing school any other way.  This is truly where God has put my heart.  We love homeschooling!

No comments:

Post a Comment