Thursday, February 24, 2011

My rescuer, my stronghold, my delight...

Speechless.

That's how I feel right now.

There are a billon and one emotions swirling around inside of me and just trying to process them makes me want to curl up and cry myself to sleep.

Have you ever had days like that? Weeks? Months even? Where the very thought of having to verbalize what you are feeling seems impossible. The very task of putting words to your emotions seems completely ridiculous, as if no words in your vocabulary could ever even closely represent what is swirling in twirling in your heart of hearts.

Anger.
Denial.
Grief.
Confusion.
Loneliness.
Pain.
Greed.
Desperation.
Frustration.
Fear.

Even now, typing out these words, the tears pour from my eyes. These are not feelings you are supposed to express, oh no. Only happy thoughts... thoughts of excitement and joy. Of peace and happiness. Of contentment and satisfaction. Those are the thoughts and feelings people want to hear about. Those are the words people want you to share.

And as much as I have experienced amazing emotions, the past few months have also been a time of hardship in my heart. I've been wrestling over and over with the things that have been presented to me, not on a silver platter in a tidy, organized fashion, but in a lump of a burlap sack, spit out at me recklessly and haphazardly.

The sudden and horrific death of a beloved aunt.
The fear of layoffs and being left jobless.
The constant disappointment of infertility and the struggles that go along with it.
The crushing weight of trying to keep up with life. With friendships. With my walk with Christ.
The voice inside of me that screams, "Give up! Just pull the covers over your head and give up already!"
The defiant child inside that stubbornly refuses to obey, to relent, to accept what is given.
The nagging whisper that reminds me at the weakest of times that I'm not good enough, fast enough, smart enough, nice enough, pretty enough... simply, not enough.

And so I cry. And I fight. And I kick and I scream. And I lie. And I pretend it is okay. And I put a pretend smile on my face. And then I break.

And only when I am truly broken can I be rescued. Only when I am in the most desperate places can I truly be saved. Picked up from the ashes. Comforted by the true comforter. Loved by the one who is Love.

Because he desires me. Adores me. Delights in me.

And in the stillness of the quiet morning, with my cup of coffee and a tender soul, He heals me. He takes away my pain. He conquers my demons. And I am ever so grateful to be wrapped in the arms of my Heavenly Father.

I love you, O Lord, my strength.

The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.

The cords of death encompassed me; the torrents of destruction assailed me; the cords of Sheol entangled me; the snares of death confronted me.

In my distress I called upon the Lord; to my God I cried for help. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears.

Then the earth reeled and rocked; the foundations also of the mountains trembled and quaked, because he was angry.

Smoke went up from his nostrils, and devouring fire from his mouth; glowing coals flamed forth from him.

He bowed the heavens and came down; thick darkness was under his feet.

He rode on a cherub and flew; he came swiftly on the wings of the wind.

He made darkness his covering, his canopy around him, thick clouds dark with water.

Out of the brightness before him hailstones and coals of fire broke through his clouds.

The Lord also thundered in the heavens, and the Most High uttered his voice, hailstones and coals of fire.

And he sent out his arrows and scattered them; he flashed forth lightnings and routed them.

Then the channels of the sea were seen, and the foundations of the world were laid bare
at your rebuke, O Lord, at the blast of the breath of your nostrils.

He sent from on high, he took me; he drew me out of many waters.

He rescued me from my strong enemy and from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me.

They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.

He brought me out into a broad place; he rescued me, because he delighted in me.

Psalm 18:1-19


11 comments:

  1. I have SUCH a hard time with covering up emotion and sugar coating everything. I love your honesty. I know exactly how you feel and yet have only met you a time or two. I do the same thing...walk through the mud when someone has been beside me the entire time trying to pull me out. Thanks for posting the verses, they are needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. geez. we were writing the exact same thing. at the exact same time!

    i love you. & i love what you wrote. & you had me in tears at the end. that last paragraph, before the psalm where He heals you. and wraps you up.

    mm, mm, mmm.

    wish i was there to talk over coffee. and hug. and talk some more. & cry it out together. we have a lot in common right now. praying for you! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this post! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have me crying.

    right there with you sister.

    love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i want to tell you over and over and over that you are enough. because you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this was BEAUTIFUL. so honest and open, and just so poignant. First Molly's post, and now yours. sheesh. I think the Lord is trying to show me something today through you lovely ladies. :)

    oh, I just know exactly what you mean. And I know it's hard... but I LOVE the words of comfort you put forth here. there is no greater truth.
    I'll be praying for you too. :) thanks for sharing, and please keep us in and let us know how the Lord continues to work in your life!

    much love. and many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking about you a lot lately. Wanting to call you, not knowing when. Also, knowing how it feels to be in that "dark" place. It's so hard to share what you are actually feeling, but your heart and soul is screaming out to be heard. I'm so glad you shared...because there is something so freeing about just laying it all out there, for yourself, for others, but mostly for the Lord. He knows your heart. He wants to heal it, and I'm glad that you are seeking Him so that He can. Just keep reminding youself that this is only a season. Praying for you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C2o0jHNRuU

    You *are* beautiful, and you're certainly enough! I was just reading your sweet tribute to your completely darling little boy - go back and read that, but read it as though to yourself, from God!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing comes in a neat package. And you should never feel like you should keep up a happy face. It's always nice to read a real blog, one that makes it so I don't feel alone in the world, or feel like I'm the only one struggling. Thank you for sharing and letting us in, for letting me feel like I have a partner in crime, someone else who is brave enough to admit they are normal, not perfect, REAL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your beautiful post. My hubby and I are in the same infertility boat. for lack of better phrasing it friggin sucks. This time of the month is always hardest on me because I get closer and closer to D-day only to be inevitably disappointed. Anyways just wanted to say Im digging you girl!

    ReplyDelete