Thursday, February 24, 2011

A boy and his bike...

He had his list already in mind for Christmas this year.

An orange bike. A green kitchen. A big train.

We took him to Toys R Us. We walked the aisles of Target. We wanted to see what his interests were, this little man of three. What did he like? Now that he has a mind of his own. What peaks his excitement?

But his heart was set. His decision made.

An orange bike. A green kitchen. A big train.

Daddy flat out refused... refused to by his first born son a kitchen for Christmas.

And his room was already full of trains. trains. and more trains.

And so a bike it was.

Sneaky Daddy, couldn't wait for little man to head to school. He spent the day tinkering, testing, and putting his first bike together with loving hands. He sent pictures. He hid it carefully. And he waited in anticipation for his son to open the much anticipated gift.

Christmas Eve came and went. Christmas Day more of the same. Daddy had to work, so the bike remained hidden.

And then finally, finally, the day had come. He bounced up and down on Mommy and Daddy's bed, knowing it was finally his turn to open gifts. We told him to cover his eyes. He obliged with a giggle and a squeal. Daddy wheeled in the bike.

And our little boy has never been the same.

IMG_5455

"I ride bikes now, Mommy? I ride bikes with you and Daddy?" he asks us daily.

Yes, even in the cold.
Yes, even in the rain.

We ride bikes around the neighborhood.
We ride bikes up and down the bike path.

IMG_5513

"Henry, Mommy? Henry ride bikes, too?" he begs.

Yes, we ride bikes with Henry.
We love riding bikes with Henry.

IMG_5503

"Faster, Mommy! I go faster and faster!" he squeals.

Yes, sweet love of mine, you go faster.
Faster and faster each day that you ride.

IMG_5489

"I ride with the big boys, Mommy? I ride bikes with the big boys, too?" he pleads.

Yes, often you ride bikes with the big boys.
I'm so thankful, for those kind-hearted big boys, who let you join in their fun.

IMG_5511

"I like riding bikes with you, Mommy," he sighs.

I do too, my big boy.
Mommy adores riding bikes with you.

IMG_5464

"I love you, Mommy," he often whispers with a grin.

I love you too, sweet boy of mine.
I love you, too.

6 comments:

  1. that is one sweet bike. my favorite part is the orange flag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. adorable...do you think he'd go for younger girls? just sayin':)

    ReplyDelete
  3. he is so sweet!

    thanks so much for stopping by and reading my love story :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boys and their toys ;) Love his orange bike. He's too cute and such a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Umm is it sad that I teared up at this? I mean seriously?! Curse these crazy hormones of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously. Cutest little boy ever. That is a sweet ride he's got there!

    ReplyDelete