Love comes in all shapes, sizes, and ages. It comes in the sand boxes during weekday morning park play-dates... at middle school dances and high school football games... it comes when you want it, when you need it, and oh-so-often when you least expect it.
Their love came when they'd both lost everything they held dear.

They met in 1964, the year my mother was born. They knew each other mostly through their kids... two girls that loved to go on adventures and dreamed of someday being sisters so they could always be together.
It's hard not to know each other when you live in a small town... run-ins at the only grocery store, mutual friends weddings and parties and church events. And so casual friends they remained for nearly 50 years.
Last summer, at a routine check-up, his wife of 58 years was informed she had late-stage pancreatic cancer. Two months later, she passed away.
Last October, after nearly two decades of debilitating health problems, countless surgeries, months in the hospital, and a final few weeks at home with Hospice, her husband passed away. After serving as his sole caretaker for years, the loneliness was suffocating.
The pain was almost unbearable. His family wondered when he would smile again... hers wondered the same. And time drug on. In December, they ran into each other at a church function. He put his arm around her, told her he knew what she was going through. That yes, having your kids around you helped. That no, it wasn't the same as having your spouse and their love and support.
That night, a seed was planted.
He took the gentlemen's route. He called his four children and discussed his intentions. He gave her time to heal. And yes, he even had his daughter call his daughter to see if what he was plotting even stood a chance.
In February he made his move.
It was early in the week. She had been surprised to get a phone call that evening from her daughter's old childhood friend. Even more surprising was how nearly an hour into the conversation her call-waiting beeped and she discovered it was this woman's father.
"Um, your dad is on the other line, I've gotta go."
"Oh, he is in so much trouble."
They talked for awhile, and then he asked if she'd join him for dinner. "Friday night," she replied, not feeling quite ready to go out and knowing this would give her days to prepare.
By Wednesday, they both later shared, they were in agony and just ready to get the date over with.
The first date went well. He took her to a nice dinner, they laughed and talked and felt at ease with each other. They ended the night by a respectable 9pm after she'd accepted his invitation to go out the second night.
The second date went even better. To cap it off, he invited her to be his date at a political function he was attending for a local politician.
The third date had her gracing his arm at a high-dollar dinner. She sat with his family. She had a great time. No reports on what time she got home that night.
By the fourth date she was a different person. Walking straighter, laughing lighter, and smiling like I hadn't seen her do in years.
On the fifth date, just one week after that first call, he asked for her hand in marriage.
And she accepted.
The wedding planning has been a blur. Arrangements to be made, guest lists to be written (and rewritten and rewritten and rewritten). Flowers were picked out, rings purchased, and a honeymoon planned.
The biggest transition has been the housing. She is a city-girl. He is a born and bred country boy, living on hundreds and hundreds of acres of his own farmland covered in cotton and almonds and pistachios. She has some adjusting to do. "With him," she says, "I'll gladly do it."
A bit over a week to go, and I have a feeling she is just as giddy and anxious as a 69-year-old bride as I was as a 23-year-old bride. I laugh when he shares that he wishes that they wouldn't have waited as long.
And I couldn't be happier for my Grandma Linda and new Grandpa Fred.












Wow. You told the story beautifully. You made your old mom teary this morning.
ReplyDeleteI wish Grandma had internet and permission to view your blog so she could share this with Fred.
I'm so happy for both of them! It's wonderful to see her laughing and happy again. She is truely a new person.
Yeah! Me and Annie are going to be sisters after all these years. I told Fred that all those years ago when I was calling him dad that I was just psycic!
my, my, my! what a beautiful story! the best story. ever. one week? done! i'm in love with your grandma & new grandpa.
ReplyDeleteoh my gosh how sweet. they are precious.
ReplyDeleteThat is just the sweetest story ever. Brought tears to my eyes!
ReplyDeleteOMG! That is just the cutest thing ever. They are too sweet! This got me all emotional and in love with their love story.
ReplyDeleteoh, how sweet their story is. i love it! thanks for sharing it!
ReplyDeletehow completely adorable is this!!!! I'm so glad they are getting a 2nd chance at love!
ReplyDeleteThis is the most amazing, sweetest post ever! I love it, and they are so adorable. Love this story!
ReplyDeletesweet sweet story! Love the pictures -- did you take them??
ReplyDeletei can't get over how young your mom is!! She's only 5 years older than my hubby. =)
that is so sweet! you did a great job :)
ReplyDeleteSuper cute... I cried too! Congrats to your Grandma and new Grandpa!
ReplyDeleteLorie took the pictures. Aren't they gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteTotally crying. I think their story is chick flick worthy! :)
ReplyDeleteThey look so happy. I wish only the best for them.
ReplyDeleteSuch a sweet way to share this story. I'm all teary.
ReplyDeleteSuch sweetness! I love it!
ReplyDeleteYou wrote this so wonderfully...totally made me cry. this is SO sweet, so romantic, and so beautiful. And so filled with hope! It just goes to show that you never know how the Lord is going to work things out in one's life. Amazing.
ReplyDelete(BEAUTIFUL pictures, I love them!)
Congratulations to your Grandma and soon-to-be grandpa. I have a feeling they are going to be so happy together :)
What a precious, precious story! Thank you for sharing and all the best to the sweet newlyweds!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing their story! It is fabulous, as are the beautiful pictures of the two of them!
ReplyDeleteyou are a great story teller, what a nice memory. cool pics too.
ReplyDeleteYou can't post things like this for a post-pregnancy hormonal crazy lady like me to read. Tears. Seriously. What a great love story!
ReplyDeletethis is one of the most precious stories ive heard in so long. i love it and am so happy you posted it. congratulations to such a beautiful couple/family!
ReplyDeleteyeah yeah yeah and now they're on the HONEYMOON =) so fun sister and GREAT story telling. and I loved being a part of it! (and I would kill for some more chocolate covered almonds =)
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing story! I'm so glad you shared it with us!
ReplyDelete