Saturday, February 6, 2010

Happy birthday month to me!

Eleven more days until I hit the big 2-7. And between the chaos of work and family and life and running I've almost forgot about it. Almost, but not quite.

This is the first time in a long time that I've felt weird about the age I'm turning. Twenty-seven. Seems so strange... so... blech. Nothing monumental like twenty-five or thirty. Just another year, passing by in the blink of an eye. And while there are many exciting things happening this year with my latest running adventures and plans for trips and outings with my family, there is also disappointment in knowing that there is another year ahead of working and stressing and missing out on the every day simplicities of every day life with my son. I'd hoped in my heart of hearts that this would be the year that we'd add another little bundle of joy to our home and that I could finally, finally be a stay-at-home mom in some capacity, but it just isn't in the cards for this almost twenty-seven year old girl.

Even though I may not be getting my one true wish of staying home with my Swee'Pea, there are a few other things on my birthday list for this year. I always have the hardest time thinking of what I want for my birthday, but this year there are so many little (and a few big) things I'd love. We've worked so hard this past year at sticking to a budget and not spending money on things we don't desperately need. And although we've each saved our birthday and Christmas money to make some bigger purchases throughout the year, there are lots of fun things I've been drooling over in the past months that just haven't made it to the "desperately need" list.

Most of my wish-list consists of items in three basic categories: cooking, reading, and running.

I've been drooling over several Martha Stewart craft and cook books over the past year, as well as her Everyday Food magazine. And what kind of cook would I be if I didn't ask for Ree Drummonds amazing Pioneer Woman cookbook?? A wine club subscription to Tobin James, a baker's rolling pin, a 12-quart stock pot, a mini-muffin tin, and anything adorable and Robin's Egg Blue would also be more than welcome in my kitchen.

Then of course there are the ridiculously fantastic running clothes that are so crucial to my running success. :) Wicking tops and jackets, microfiber socks and gym bags, and skirts... RUNNING SKIRTS! They are all the craze and MUCH more comfortable than running shorts (which create that all-too-uncomfortable burning sensation between the thighs when training). There are also some great training books for women out there that would be great reads and perfect for someone who needs directions for everything I do.

For Christmas my sweet Popeye got me a Kindle and I've been reading books like crazy off of the thing. Much more convenient than checking out books from the library and much more comfortable to cuddle up to in bed, I simply adore my Kindle (who I've fondly named Sophie). The problem is that I actually have to pay for books now... blech. So every extra penny or nickel that I can spare and save has been going to my Amazon account to purchase books. I've swept through the Twilight series and several of the free offerings from the Kindle shop, but there are so many more I'm dying to read... The Wicked series... "A Little Bit Wicked" by Kristin Chenoweth... "Mennonite in a Little Black Dress"... "The Help"... and "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo."

I also wouldn't mind a Canon 24 mm f/2.8 or a 17-55 mm f/2.8 lens.

birthday

... Oh. And this precious little dress wouldn't be too bad wrapped up pretty for my birthday. You know, to make me feel better about turning twenty-seven and all.

Robin's Egg Blue Dress

6 comments:

  1. I love your birthday list! I would want each and everyone want of those things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cute. I'm glad I have a list to shop from instead of just wondering up until that last second.

    I can't believe my precious first born is going to be 2-7. YIKES! Thank goodness you and your little Swee' Pea are keeping me young.

    I was hoping for you and Popeye to bring us another bundle of joy to love soon as well. Of course you can never AFFORD another child, but I am proud of you for really thinking this through.

    I love you! It's your birthday month. That means you get to be spoiled all month. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bet you'd look just fab in that dress!

    wishing you the most peaceful and special birthday month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want to borrow the actual wicked books I have 2 of them (wicked and son of a witch)... but they are not for your kindle. :) poor college students don't have such luxuries.
    -Bekah Moore

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya know, 27 was weird for me, too! (I'm 28 now.) I hope your birthday month is incredibly special and that you get at least a few of the items you listed here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HE he he you are funny. I think I want most of those things too! Being on a budget makes wish lists a lot easier! I used to never be able to think of things I wanted because I would just go out and get them ... now I have full on LISTS! Happy Birthday month friend =)

    ReplyDelete