Friday, February 5, 2010

Every day inspirations...

There are so many people that inspire me on this journey to run a marathon... I have family and friends cheering me on, the memory of loved ones gone after losing their battles with cancers, and the faces of so many who are struggling with cancer today.

But one of the most amazing people I've met on this journey is Mickie Luvisi.

DSCN4455

Mickie and team mate Paula on the way to the San Diego Rock 'n' Roll Marathon in 2009

Mickie's story breaks my heart every time I hear it. At the same time, it encourages me unlike any other I've ever heard.

Mickie's daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia in October of 2007. Devastated but knowing that she had to accept the news, she asked herself, "How can I support her?" At the age of 69, Mickie joined Team in Training. A bit apprehensive but with her daughter on her mind, Mickie competed in her first half-marathon in 2008. She completed her second half-marathon the next year at the age of 70.

DSCN4507

Mickie and Paula running the course

Mickie's daughter is still fighting this terrible disease. She has been on medication now for a couple of years-- first on Gleevec (which had horrible side effects) and now on Tasigna which had similarly bad effects. Her doctor recently put her on disability for 6 weeks to (hopefully) give her body time to adjust. Mickie's daughter is a school teacher with two children, ages 16 and 13. She fights every day while trying to maintain a sense of normalcy for her family and her students.

DSCN4346

Bakersfield's oldest and youngest TNT participants ever: Mickie (71) and Melissa (17)

Mickie has seen first hand how the money she has raised for TNT has directly helped her daughter. Every drug and trial she has been on has been discovered through funding provided by The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The road to finding a successful drug is expensive-- thus the reason Mickie continues to run. This year, at the age of 71, she will compete in her first full marathon.

IMG_6942

Mickie receiving her award for winning her age category in the San Diego Rock 'n' Roll 1/2 Marathon in 2009. She is pictured with our manager, Jane, running coach, Michelle, and local honoree Bryna.

Every ache in my bones, every day I just don't feel motivated to run, every time I feel frustrated at how slow and turtle-like I'm running... I think of Mickie. Mickie, who at the age of 69 started her running career. And that is just one person who daily inspires me on this journey.

2 comments:

  1. This gives me a lot of inspiration. You need to post it on your fund raising site for those who don't read your blog.

    I love you kiddo. You make your old mom proud!

    ReplyDelete