Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Every bit helps...

Public Service Announcement: Please read this yesterday's post first... then come back up here and take a gander. Thanks!

Thank you for each and every one of you who read this Monday's post about my participation with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training... thank you for those who have already lifted me up in thought and prayer... thank you even more for those who have already given money towards this amazing cause. Every single dollar that you give is precious, and I appreciate anything and everything you are able to do to support me on this journey.

For those of you who have visited my TNT fundraising site may have seen that the first donation of $50 was made by me. That is how much I believe in this program. Not only did I want to be the first to donate to my current fundraising campaign, I plan on donating more as soon as I am able.

I'll be honest... I've worried a lot about asking people for money. I didn't want my blog to turn into a place where people feel threatened or annoyed, a place where I stand on a soapbox and rant and rave and then beg for a handout. But I know this cause is important... and I know there are so many of you who have been affected by cancer over the years. Some of you have shared in just the past few months how cancer has tragically affected your family. I hope you know that each and every one of you are in my thoughts as I train and fundraise for this event. And as I continue updating my blog with my progress on fundraising and training, I'll be asking each of you to share with me about those close to you who have recovered, who are currently fighting, or who have past away from cancer.

I know that $2,500 seems like so much money. I know how hard times are right now for so many families. I know that even a couple of dollars is hard to spare for some. And that's okay! There have been many times when Popeye and myself haven't been able to give like we've wanted. More than anything, I'd just love your prayer and support and words of encouragement!

When I thought about the total money I had to raise, it was daunting. But then I began to break it down....

If 100 of you each gave $26.20 (a buck a mile!), I'd more than reach my goal.

If 50 of you each gave $50, I'd reach my goal.

If just 25 of you gave $100, I'd reach my goal.

Amazing. Simply amazing what the power of a few people can do in helping the lives of others.

I know some of you may be interested in knowing where this fundraising money goes exactly. Sometimes it provides basic needs such as gas money for patients and their families to travel to appointments (there is no local place for children especially to receive treatments, so they travel several hours north or south... several times a week). It may go toward food money, costs of experimental treatments, or counseling for children suffering and surviving cancer. There is so much that goes into supporting a child or family struggling with cancer. Fundraising money helps them tremendously. Dollar for dollar, here are a few ways the money could be used:

$25 - Provides patients and their families with free booklets that contain up-to-date information on their disease and helps them make informed decisions about their treatment


$50 - Makes possible a Family Support Group with a trained professional where comfort can be found and experiences can be shared among patients and family members


$100 - Mailers to family and patients per month and helps supply laboratory researchers with supplies and materials critical to carrying out their search for cures.


$500 - Financial aid per family for one fiscal year


$1,000 - Makes possible on-on-one conversations with health care specialists who provide patients with information about their disease, treatment options, and helps prepare them with questions for their health care team.


$1,500 - An educational program with food, speakers, materials, etc.


$50,000 - Research fellowships- per year for 3 years


$60,000 - Clinical fellowships - per year for 3 years


$110,000 - Scholar Awards and fellowships - per year for 5 years


I have heard countless stories from parents who have been on their knees praying for help... for a way to take their child for their treatments or to make their stays in the hospital more comfortable. Time and time again, the money TNT has raised is used by The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society to give these families a helping hand.


I will be continuing to blog the rest of the week about the people who have inspired me to train for this marathon and raise money through Team in Training. Some are still living... others have passed on. But they live on in my heart and give me the strength to continue the fight they tragically lost. I also hope to hear the stories that many of you have to share, about your loved ones who have struggled with cancer in the past and may be still struggling today.


On a brighter note, I also have a very special post coming up tomorrow... complete with details on how you can win some INCREDIBLE prizes just for donating to my cause. So please make sure to continue checking in with me this week, as well checking in for updates on my training and fundraising site! For your convenience, I've made a cute little button that can be clicked to easily access my fundraising site as well. :)


And lastly, a super duper HUGE THANK YOU to my amazing cousin Christine who made the 1st donation to my cause. Thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. I about peed my pants when I got the email notifying me of your donation today (and that would have been rather embarassing, seeing as I was in a classroom full of 4th graders!).




3 comments:

  1. I really love that you are doing this. I did a story about TNT for the Voices when I was working there and wanted to join at some point (you know, when I'm not pregnant or taking care of a newborn).

    I really believe in this cause, especially after I did a series of stories for MAS on the cutest little two-year-old ever, Sofia Munoz, that battled AML. Seriously broke my heart into pieces when she lost her battle and I had to go cover the funeral in the midst of my own mourning. Oh and baby sized caskets are pretty much the most heartbreaking thing ever. Sigh.

    Treatment is so hard on a family. Sophia's mom lived at UCLA while her husband continued to work in Bakersfield. So he only got to see his family on the weekends.

    But I've heard plenty of survival stories too that also inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you for doing this. You just amaze me with your energy and your dedication to the cause.

    I haven't posted a payment YET but it is coming. Yeah Christine for donating money she didn't have to your cause. She's pretty much a rock star in my book.

    I'm still praying for a change in venue for racing that weekend so I can come and watch you charge across the finish line. I may come even with out a change!
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's awesome that you can use your blog as a way to spread the word on this and raise money. When I read about things like this it makes me even more grateful for the blogging world and the wonderful people in it.

    Squeezes, my friend. Your words made me cry. but in a good way. :) praying for all you're doing!!

    (would you mind ,if at some point, I wrote a blog about this and pointed people to your donation page??)

    ReplyDelete