But I won’t be doing this alone! I’ve joined the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training (TNT). TNT provides an endurance training program and a fundraising program that readies participants to run a marathon. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, you heard me right, a marathon. On Sunday, June 6th, I will be running 26.2 miles in the San Diego Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon. And I will be doing it all for the benefit of local men, women, and children battling leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma cancers.
The statistics of leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma cancers are staggering. Currently, more than 900,000 Americans are hoping each and every day for cures for these cancers. Every 5 minutes, a new patient is diagnosed with leukemia, lymphoma, or myeloma. Every 10 minutes, one will lose the fight. Tragically, leukemia causes more deaths among children and young adults under twenty than any other type of cancer. But there is hope! To date, LLS has invested more than $680 million dollars in medical research. This funding has contributed to rising cure rates and many of the new treatments that are giving hope to families everywhere.
Aimee and Bryna
Ian and Bryna
Bryna and me at our first official Team in Training meeting
As a member of Team in Training, I have made a commitment not only to train to run in the marathon, but also to raise $2,500 for LLS. For every dollar raised, at least 75% will directly fund research, education, and patient support programs. It will go to patients like Aimee, Ian, and Bryna who are still fighting and still surviving today due to the donations of people like you and me. Even though I will be the one running every step of those 26.2 miles, I cannot do it alone. It will only be possible with the help and support of family and friends.
I am hoping to reach my fundraising goal by April 1st. Every donation is appreciated (and tax deductible!). I'd ask that each of you, weather you are able to donate or not, stop by my fundraising website. Click on the button below to be directly linked to my TNT fundraising site. On it I'll post regular updates to my status, as well as pictures of practices and TNT events!
I know not all of you will be able to donate at this time. But I ask that even if you are unable to give financially at this time, that you would be generous in your support, well-wishes, and prayers for me as I venture on this exciting and challenging journey. Your encouraging words will keep me motivated through the aches and pains and miles of pavement I'll cover from now until the race in June. Even though you may not be with me on race day, you'll be with me in spirit as I cross that finish line.
Words cannot express how emotional being a member of Team in Training has been for me. I've cried both tears of joy and sorrow as I've met our honorees, heard their stories and those of my teammates, and shared with others about my love of running and this organization. I am thrilled to share my journey with you here on my blog, and thank you in advance for partnering with me along this wild ride!
*Stay tuned for many more updates, including information on prizes for donations and inspirational stories from our team!








Christie! This is awesome. You are most likely running with my little bro and his fiance.... they ran last year and are mentors for Team in Training this year (Patrick Smith and Sam Adkins). We went down to see them run at the RNR San Diego last May and it was AWESOME! So inspiring...I could have just sat and watched every single person cross the finish line all day long! LOVE IT! And am so proud of you. After training for only the 1/2, I know how much dedication it takes. Wowsers! You go lady!!!!
ReplyDeletethat is awesome!!! You go girl!
ReplyDeleteI just came across your blog for the first time and you are so inspiring! I am trying to get into running more, and this really makes me want to go for it. Awesome!
ReplyDeleteGood for you - I think this is amazing! We'll most certainly help you out with well wishes, prayers and a donation. Good luck to you!
ReplyDeleteBless your heart dear girl! You always amaze me and I know your passion is put to it's fullest potential here.
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you friend! This is seriously awesome! We will find a way to help! Love you!!!!
ReplyDeleteWow, you're a rock star! I am absolutely amazed how your goal went from running a 5K to a full marathon! I wish I had just a tiny portion of your passion for running.
ReplyDeletethis is seriously amazing, and I love that you're doing this. Your heart and your passion are so wonderful. <3
ReplyDeleteI'm not a runner, but I've always thought that it would be awesome to do something like this for such a worthy cause. And now that cancer has actually become a part of my own life, I only empathize more and more with those people affected by it, and my yearning to do SOMETHING has increased tenfold.
so, while there's no way in the world that I could run 26.2 miles (hehe), you can bet that I'll be supporting you 110% in any way I can. I can't wait to read about your experiences! Keep sharing!