Saturday, December 19, 2009

Happy Fakesgiving...

Due to the nature of Popeye's career and the fact that his "business" literally NEVER closes, we've run into the dilemma this year that we will have to spend all holidays apart. Praise to God, who must have known I would marry a man in law enforcement, I was prepared from birth to cope with this situation. My grandfather owned an ambulance company for 30+ years, so from a very young age I learned to celebrate holidays on a whim, at a station, on the run, or surrounded by my grandparents, mother, aunt, and several random men and women all dressed in uniform. :)

Popeye not being at holidays is tough, I won't lie. But the hardest part for me hasn't been that I'm missing him (although I am!), it has been the fact that he is missing out on experiencing the holidays with his son and family. So I've tried to make it a point to create special traditions for us that can be enjoyed regardless of his work schedule.

My first order of business? Fakesgiving.

I took the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off from work and busied myself in the kitchen baking and sauteing and roasting and mixing. I chopped, I pureed, and blended. Swee'Pea was on his best behavior that day, obviously sensing that mommy had something wonderful up her sleeves. And while I worked in the kitchen I sang Christmas songs, watched old Christmas movies on my laptop, and I prayed. I prayed and thanked God for my husband who sacrifices so much for us. I prayed and I thanked God for our health, for our home, for the things that we have and the things that we are so blessed not to have. I spent the day feeling truly happy and giddy at the prospect of the wonderful evening to come.

At a bit after 7:00, Popeye walked in to his very own surprise Fakesgiving dinner. Granted, there were some minor crises along the way... the turkey took too long to roast, and the bread was slightly doughy in the middle while crusty on the bottom due to oven temperature variance issues with the various dishes (oh please oh please can I someday get a double oven!!!). But the food was delicious, the conversation delightful, and the company even better.

IMG_3516

fakesgiving3

IMG_3525

Simple but sweet.

fakesgiving2

There was turkey and stuffing, potatoes both sweet and mashed, bread and butter, and champagne and delicious Pomtinis to boot!

fakesgiving1

I swear... they had fun. :)

IMG_3535

Guess the Disney character!

IMG_3526

And what would Fakesgiving be without delicious apple pie (with a sweet little birdie on top!)

It may not have been a table scape to write home about (I tried not to cringe at my lack luster efforts at creating a Marthaesque center piece. But planning this on the fly and having to do it in secret left no room for last-minute crafting). But it was special none-the-less. And I'm excited to spend many more Fakesgivings with the this little family that I cherish so dearly.

12 comments:

  1. What a great idea. And I love your tablescape -- simple is the best, in my opinion.

    We had to be creative in our celebrations when I was a kid, too. The airport doesn't shut down for Christmas, so Dad had to go direct traffic. We started a little tradition of going to the movies on Christmas afternoon, and then we'd fit in our gifts and family time when Dad could be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. by golly. you just made me cry :) & it's only 10:15am! that is THE sweetest. the simplest gestures truly mean the most. this year tim has to miss his first chrismtas too. i don't know how i feel about it yet, but this is a great tradition that i just might hafta copy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the best wife ever! I love that you made Thanksgiving special for your family, even thought you weren't spending the actual day together. We're gonna miss Mark at Christmas. Makes me sad he won't be there. :( Hopefully as he career furthers, he'll get some sort of seniority and get at least ONE big holiday off a year!!!

    Love you and can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain. Shaun unfortunately works a lot of holidays too. It's a bummer but sounds like you are making the best of it. What a wonderful wife and mother you are making your own sweet memories! Your boys are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is great that you did this for your husband so you could all celebrate together. After 8 years of spending most holidays without Bryan due to the wonderful schedule of law enforcement, I have to say it does get a little easier. We have found fun ways like what you are doing to still make it special for the kids. I remember one year on Christmas Eve I loaded the kids in their Christmas PJ's up in the car and we drove to the station to deliver Christmas cookies to all the guys working and the dispatchers. They had a blast running around giving cookies to evryone.

    Hang in their, the job you have is not easy either.....put eventually seniority happens and they can take it off!!! We all get spend Christmas together this year :) Have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sweet! Celebrating together as a little family is way better than big family get togethers. My mom told me my Dad wasn't around for holidays when we were really little because of his schedule and I don't even remember!!! They must have done a good job of not making it feel that way, just like you are doing now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I clicked on the comments to see if anyone guessed the disney character cause i have NO clue and no one did. Hint?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok.. for the Disney Character I'm guessing Goofy. That's the only big nosed one I could think of.

    I'm glad you surprised Popye with Fakesgiving. It's amazing how the DAY isn't as important as making a day special and making the effort to make it that way. It will get easier I promise.

    We were lucky I guess because we were able to bring the crews in and give them the holiday time they would miss otherwise. I'm pretty sure it made us appreciate the time together just a little bit more.

    Love your "Tablescape" and wow can you keep a secret!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Come on, guys... the old man from Up with the huge nose!!! GEESH! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Duh! Of course Mr. Zweibach Nose. I was thinking DISNEY character like Mickey or googy or somebody like that. I totally forgot UP was a Disney Movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for taking care of my boy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so cute! What a PERFECT Thanksgiving table! And I am drooling over the food ... you are simply AMAZING friend!

    ReplyDelete