Thursday, December 10, 2009

Train adventures...

Swee'Pea is ridiculously into trains over the past few months. I have no clue where his obsession came from, but it cracks me up to see him light up with delight every time he hears a train whistle blow or sees train cars on the tracks as we drive to visit friends and family in Shafter.

I've wanted to take Swee'Pea on a train ride for some time now, and was thrilled when Popeye did a little research and found the perfect day-trip for us. We took a little drive down to Fillmore, boarded a 1922 coach car, and rode for 45 minutes to a darling little Christmas Tree Farm. After "chopping down our own tree" (we cheated... I know, I know, but we tried! We tromped around for over an hour trying to find the "perfect" tree. The perfect tree just happened to be a pre-cut Oregon-fresh Noble Firs... which they just so happened to have a small supply of oh-so-conveniently located at the edge of the tree lot) we took a tractor ride, bought some snacks, and then rode 45 minutes back to the train yard.

Train1blog

All aboard!

train9blog

Swee'Pea was completely mesmerized by the conductor punching his ticket... and yes, he was super awesome, just like the crazy Tom Hanks conductor on "The Polar Express."

train8blog

He was mesmerized from the start... "Oh! Train!"

train4blog

train10blog

And then Santa arrived... Swee'Pea wasn't scared so much as he was annoyed that Santa had the audacity to try and sit by him. Yeah, he was a little territorial of his seat.

train12blog

He loved every moment of the ride!

train11blog

train2blog

He was determined to cut himself down a tree!

train3blog


train6blog


train5blog

He smiled the entire time home... and every time the train whistle blew, Swee'Pea would brighten up and let everyone know that there was a "Choo! Choo!" He had the entire train car cracking up.

It was delightful. Just what we needed. The perfect day for our little family. And we've done nothing but talk about what a wonderful day it was for the past week. It is days like that, creating sweet memories with my husband and my son, that makes all the chaos and hecticness of life melt away. Perfection. Simply perfection.

Popeye came right home and made this video with some of the video and photo footage from the trip. He was so excited and has shown it to Swee'Pea several times. Swee'Pea can't get enough!

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Braden is in love with the Polar Express movie. We have watched it 4 times so far. Can you go ride the train without buying a Christmas tree? I love the video at the end too. SOOOO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Beautiful video Popeye! This was one of my most favorite posts ever. How inspiring. What an amazing idea to go on such a special little train trip to get a tree. I just can't get over it.

    I want to go on a train ride!

    and we have an Oregon-fresh noble tree...from Target o'course:)

    Thanks for sharing, that made my evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea! And Sweet Pea looks like he is having the time of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our last trip to town we took the route through Fillmore instead of LA because it was the last day of Thanksgiving weekend and we didn't want to deal with the 5/405/Santa Clarita mess. I saw that train and all the signs advertising the trip and I wanted to go on it SO BAD! Like your little Swee'Pea, I have quite the affinity for trains myself (which might be weird for a grown woman I guess). Now that I've seen this I want to go even more. It looks so cute and it is so close to us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the coolest trip ever!! And I love Popeye's video. Major would have been in HEAVEN!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun trip! It looks like you all had a fabulous time! Your little Sweet Pea is just darling. I'm sure everyone on that train wanted to take him home and keep him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a good mommy and daddy! Looks like such a great treat for Sweet pea. And it looks like you guys basically had the train to yourselves...awesome! I really think that was the same train we went on when we took the kiddos to Thomas...much more packed when we went. Definitely yearly tradition in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh friend that is SO CUTE! I love it 100 times over! Ryan and I have talked about doing that so many time but have not done it yet. That is the one you pass on the way to Santa Barbara right?!

    ReplyDelete