With all the beautiful weather we were having at the beginning of summer, I tried to take full advantage and ride my bike as much as possible. My fabulous mother and father-in-law bought Swee'Pea a bike trailer for his 1st birthday, and rarely does the (beautiful) day go by that we aren't using it... We've taken it visit Henry and MamaD... to church and to the grocery store... but more often than not, we use it to go to the park or to grab a yummy bowl of ice cream on fabulous summer evenings.
But a few weeks ago, I had the brilliant idea to hitch up the bike trailer and trek the nearly 8 miles to our local library for Preschool story time.
Here is a picture journey of what turned out to be a huge bicycle (mis)adventure....
8:40 in the morning... latched in and ready to go. Swee'Pea likes to eat while he rides, so the mandatory Eggo waffle was of course toasted for his snacking pleasure.
9:01... My leg and my bike have a run-in with the railroad tracks. The tracks won.
9:20... Arrive at the park at Riverwalk, where Swee'Pea promptly poops and then throws a fit when I try to change his diaper on a bench. I clean him up, then let him play on the slides. I spend the next 20 minutes glaring at "big boys" who run past him, pushing him out of the way as they play Space Star Galictica or something. I officially become "that mom" who tells other peoples' kids what to do since the parent is too busy texting on their phone to notice that their child is about to push my child to his death from the play set.
10:20... arrive at the park with ten minutes to spare. Realize I don't even have my library card on me, and reluctantly pay the $2 fee for a new one so that we can check out books. Spend the next 70 minutes chasing Swee'Pea up and down the stairs of the library, checking out every book he rips from the shelves, and apologizing profusely as he throws up a pound of grapes all over the floor in the middle of story time.
11:30... thank the librarians who "oooh" and "ahhh" over the cuteness of Swee'Pea telling them about his shoes and that he is going "bye-bye." Then proceed to feel their glares as he throws a fit when I tell him we actually have to go "bye-bye" and head home. Within minutes Swee'Pea is asleep in the trailer, and I'm feeling happy and carefree as I ride my bike down Ming Avenue.
11:40... June in Bakersfield, and I'm wearing a sweatshirt. Life is good.
11:45... First flat tire of the day. Glad I had my bike pump with me.
11:55... Discover after I've already gone four miles that the back flap to the trailer is open, and two things that I have checked out are missing. Can't decide if I want to crap my pants or cry. Give in and decide to re-trace my trail in hopes of finding the goods instead of paying a library fine.
12:06... Discover two of the CD's I checked out near CSUB. They fell out when I tried to take a sweet jump with my bike and my trailer. I remind myself that I am 26... not 12... and thus, I should no longer attempt to take sweet jumps on my bike, no matter how cool I think I am.
12:20... Second flat tire of the day. I am no longer feeling perky.
12:25... the tire is pumped, and we are on our way. It is getting warm. I'm so over this bike ride.
12:27... Discover I am out of water. So is Swee'Pea. Realize we are going to die on the bike trail and C.S.I. will have to come investigate our remains. I secretly hope Nick Stokes takes my case...
12:30... Swee'Pea is still asleep. Poor guy. He has no clue he is about to meet his demise. I let him snooze. Better to keep him in the dark about our lack of water as we continue to ride in the wilderness.
12:35... Begin hearing a "flap... flap... flap..." sound every time I peddle. Realize that it isn't that my tires are just flat, they have holes in them and can hold no air. Cue immediate meltdown.
What happened next was just too ugly to portray in pictures... so my words will have to do.
12:40... Call mother, who agrees to come rescue me.
12:41... Cry my eyes out as I bike down Jewetta Avenue. Realize I need to conserve both moisture and energy if I'm going to make it any further. Immediately stop crying.
12:50... Make it to my In-laws house and park the bike and trailer in their garage. Wait for my mother to come rescue me. When she gets there, she offers to buy me lunch. For what I believe may be the first time in my life, I refuse the offer of free food.
1:09... Arrive home, sans bike and trailer. Swear off bike riding for the rest of eternity. Spend a few minutes pouting on the couch, and then decide to call sister-in-law to see if I can borrow her bike for a few days until mine can be repaired.
Approximately 15 miles biked... 2,000 calories burned... and more emotions than I can even explain. Whew. I think I'm pretty much ready for the Tour de France.


















I am so glad you survived. And lived to see another day of bike riding. Your texts were a little scary that day. I thought I was going to have to come pick up your body somewhere. The important thing is that you found the library materials. :)
ReplyDeleteOK, so my freshman year of college I rode my bike to CSUB every day. It's like a 10 mile round trip. So that summer when the youth group went to church camp one of the activities was mountain biking and I thought that since I had been riding on the streets of Bakersfield that I would be able to hold my own. 2 miles of Ojai hills just about killed me. I was forced to separate from the rest of the group at a coffee shop there and and hang out until on of the camp staff people could come rescue me and my bike. I was so embarassed.
ReplyDeleteROFL! Soooooo sorry to have laughed through the whole post. And also if the boys on the playset were mine, I apologize - though I'm pretty sure they wouldn't push a little one, and also that they don't play battlestar galactica, and that also I think I would have recognized you and Swee' Pea and would have said hello. Unless I felt particularly fat that day, and then I would have gathered my storm troopers and rushed away quickly.
ReplyDeleteLoved this story (and pictures)! Thanks for sharing the (mis)adventure!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! I think it was really brave to attempt that long of a bike ride. I could never do that. I'm glad you survived! Left you an award on my blog the other day - hope you saw it!
ReplyDeleteOMG!! I am so sorry..but that is too funny :) I love u! all of your pics made me miss you and bako even more though! I hope your next bike adventure is less adventuresome :)
ReplyDeleteOK, those pictures kill me! The progressed of your exhaustion and frustration is classic. Sorry the bike ride ended up bad, but at least you got some blog entertainment out of it. :-) Score for me!
ReplyDeleteOH man, silly...I mean ambitious of you to go all the way to the library! Seriously entertaining story, so sorry it didn't go better. And Emily's comment...LOL!
ReplyDeleteSorry you had such a bad day, but I was totally laughing because you are too funny how you tell it.
ReplyDeleteI hope the next one is better for you!
Oh and I'm TOTALLY that mom that tells other kids what to do. I was even before I had a kid if they were doing something dangerous or annoying.
ReplyDeleteI am dying laughing!!! Hilarious! And wow... I'm impressed you even attempted that. I'm figuring a bike ride to my parents house 1/2 mile away would be the max I could do. :)
ReplyDeletesorry, friend, i too have to laugh!! and i'm assuming by the way you told it and the fact that you continued to take pics, you were able to laugh about it later, as well! :) seriously, i had to read it and show the pics to dan b/c it your incredible story-telling deserved to be recognized! :) i'm glad you made it home safely and csi didn't have to come clean-up! what a day!
ReplyDeleteThis was hysterical, by far my favorite blog post I've read in a couple of weeks!! I love how we got to watch the story unfold through pictures and what a story it was!!
ReplyDeleteAND WHOA, that was a lot of miles, go olive oyl!!
Oh my gosh.....hiiiii-larious! Except you forgot the best part....you went back out for a bike ride again that very night! Crazy, I tell you! Love the photo journalism. It made the story!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you finally posted your story. I know you didn't think it was funny at the time but it's hilarious now.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I thought to toss the car seat in the car before leaving for my appointment and that Lubia FINALLY got done with me just in time to rescue you.
I still owe you lunch but lets take the car ok?
Ok I am dying here! I can not believe how ambitious you are girl! I loved this post =)
ReplyDeleteokay had to come reread and relaugh at you. hearing it in person was comical enough but documented in pictures!??!!! HILARIOUS!! love you sister. you are too funny. and brave. and a bit crazy. =)
ReplyDeletethis had me laughing out loud in a coffee shoppe! mike had to ask if i was okay.
ReplyDeleteyoure hilarious, but i am sorry for the ride!
xoxo
ha, you are KILLING me. luv the mug shots.
ReplyDelete