Out of the blue, my child is sick. I don't mean like an achey ear or fever... but like, sick sick. Like, lying on the floor and not moving and laying in my lap for extended periods of time not making any noise sick. Now, it is not unusual for him to be quiet... he is a pretty laid back fellow. But the whole sitting in one position for an extended period of time and not getting up to go play with his cars or his books or his outside toys is a bit unusual.
So last night, out of the blue, I walk into the living room to see this:
Um... yeah. Totally gross.
Those of you who know Swee'Pea know that he spent the majority of his first year spitting up. But this wasn't just spit up. This was like, throw up. Like, grown-up throw up. And needless to say, I freaked out a bit. I panicked. What had he eaten? How could I have not known he was sick?? What if he had been asleep when he threw up, choked, and died!?!?
I rushed over to him, only to find that he was playing quietly with his toys, completely oblivious to the fact that he was covered from head to toe in good-'ol-fashioned puke.
So we washed up. I brushed his teeth. Put clean jammies on. And tucked him into bed with me.
This morning he awoke, in a regular, happy, Swee'Pea kind of way. He asked for water, so I gave him a sip.
Out it came.
Don't panic... I thought. Maybe the water was just too cold for his sensitive tummy.
So he asked, and I gave him a cup of milk and went outside to do some gardening. A few minutes later, Popeye and I came in to find a scene similar to that of the night before.
Puke, puke, and more puke.
Tubby again, and a new change of clothes. This time, we make a pallet on the floor with quilts and pillows. He asks... so I give him some water and half an Eggo waffle.
I'm not going to lie, I burst into tears 30 minutes later when the projectile vomit covered our blankets, our pillows, his entire body, and mine as well.
We showered... we shampooed... and we changed into yet another set of clothes.
By this time my washer and dryer have been going non-stop, and there are very few options left for blankets in the house. I call my mom, who comes to the rescue with some crackers, Pedialite, a pile of towels, and a new book for Swee'Pea.
We snuggle into our new pallet, sip off of a cup of watered-down Pedialite, and enjoy a cracker or two.
Minutes later, the poop arrives. Oh, the poop. Down the leg, all over the hands... oh what a joy it was.
I run the tubby for a third time. We change. We brush our teeth. And we settle down on a new set of blankets.
He snuggles up next to me. I call Popeye and let him now I need a Dewar's Red and White when he comes home from work. I think I deserve it, don't you??
After several hours and some cuddles on the floor, he finally passed out. Poor little guy... I'm hoping this is just a random 24-hour (or less!!!) bug. Because as much as mommy loves cuddling with her little man... my heart is breaking for this sweet little dude!








so sad. hope he feels better soon! and hope you have a puke-free weekend :)
ReplyDeleteoh i am so sorry. that sounds just positively DREADFUL. Get well soon little swee' pea!
ReplyDeletei would have cried too.
Poor thing!!! And yes, you DO deserve a milkshake! :) Hope he feels better ASAP!
ReplyDeleteP.S. When I read the post title, I scrunced my nose. Then I read your "warning" and thought, uhoh. Then I scrolledreallyfast through the yucky pictures without looking much. I DO have a weak stomach, but I'm also UBER nosey so NOT reading the post really wasn't an option!! HAHA!
I have heard this bug is going around in Bakersfield. So sorry you guys got it too.
ReplyDeleteI pretty much have the weakest stomach around right now, but I already knew from your FB status what it would likely be about.
Poor little dude! I really hope he feels better and you guys don't get it too.
I'm sorry the little man is so sick. I hope he feels better soon. We're sick too, but luckily not puking. I hope your remote is o.k. :)
ReplyDeleteSeriously...the worst! I remember when Aubrey had it at about his age, she would puke and in between pukes say, "Aubrey's sick" only to continue puking. I hope it goes away soon and you don't get it! Seriously caugt a quick glimpse of the 1st picture and started dry heaving. You poor, poor mama! You deserve 2 red and whites (my FAVORITE from Dewar's too---with extra almonds).
ReplyDeleteOh my word, I cannot believe you posted pictures of your child's vomit. *gag* But yes, there is a HORRIBLE stomach bug going around. My poor family was exposed not once, but twice in the last two weeks. One kid got sick one week and the other the following week. I cry ALL DAY LONG! I hate barf SO MUCH! I can't even explain how much I hate it. I have vinyl waterproof mattress covers on both boys' beds and their pillows to make clean up easier. Those never come off the beds, ever. Not until they are older and I know they can make it to the bathroom every time. I use contractor plastic sheeting and put it EVERYWHERE the kids are going to lay or sit because barf in my carpet and furniture makes me cry even more. A plastic sheet of it covers my couch and then I put a regular cotton sheet over it for comfort's sake. I can completely sympathize with you, having just been through this. And worse yet, my second child came down with this bug while we were in a hotel room at Pismo Beach this past Sunday night. I wanted to die.
ReplyDeleteSorry, I apparently have a lot to say when it comes to throwing up! BIG HUGE HUGS! I hope no one else gets it. It seems to attack the youngest members of the family and works its way through. Prayers are going up for you!
i'm sorry, i have to admit I'm laughing, not because poor SweePea feels horrible but because you ACTUALLY POSTED PICTURES OF HIS PUKE lol!! I love it. We could be friends for sure ;)
ReplyDeleteThere is a nasty nasty bug going around , i was a victim of it last weekend and I totally thot I had a case of food poisoning but was informed otherwise :s My son has the poops starting today and i'm hoping it's not the beginning of a yucky weekend over here. Saying a prayer for your little family :(
I know this story all too well! Please take him to the doctor if he isn't a LOT better tomorrow. Braden was about that sick for one day and was hospitalized for dehydration. They get dehydrated a lot quicker than you think. Vomitting plus diarrhea is so bad. Poor Sammy. I pray that it is only 24 hours. And poor you! Having a baby that sick is completely heart wrenching. I was a nervous freak when Braden was that sick. I am so sorry!
ReplyDeleteOh no! Poor little guy. I hope he's feeling better soon :)
ReplyDeleteAwwwww big hugs to all of you! I hate when my babes are sick :( That last pic of him all passed out just broke my heart! I hope he woke up MUCH better today!
ReplyDeleteI, too, couldn't believe the pictures of the actual vomit. I'm sorry you guys are going through something yucky!
ReplyDeleteOh...I hate throw up!!! I dread the day when it happens to Gracie. I hope your little guy is feeling better. Keep us updated!
ReplyDeleteOh you poor thing! I would have been crying and asking my mom to come ... help ... and STAY! I hope he gets better soon!
ReplyDelete