sleeping in each morning until 6:30 am.
enjoying a cup or two of coffee without having to rush around to get ready for work.
beginning my day by snuggling with my son on the couch and reading a chapter or two of a good book.
opening all the windows to let the cool morning breeze drift though my home, cool enough the past few weeks that i've had to pull on a light sweater or blanket.
Summer is...
working out each morning until sweat pours down my back and my muscles scream with pain.
hopping on my bike to take Swee'Pea to the park, to the store, to wherever the road leads us.
avoiding driving my car for days at a time, and wondering if I can completely avoid using it for the rest of the summer.
not looking at a clock, not caring what our schedule is, and not making a list since the last day of school.
Summer is...
avoiding the use of my cell phone and computer, except for the all too important texting of the dear cousin and GChatting with some of the coolest women I know.
laughing so hard during GChatting sessions that my desk gets covered in tears of joy.
not watching any TV for over a week, aside from one episode of Roseanne and twenty minutes of last week's Wife Swap.
realizing that I'd rather be reading... napping... exercising... gardening... anything other than sitting in front of a computer or TV.
Summer is...
eating handfuls of berries and cherry tomatoes each day off of my garden plants.
enjoying a variety of sun ripened tomatoes in my daily lunches.
picking squash that are nearly three pounds heavy.
abstaining from soda for almost two weeks, but craving it so much sometimes that I want to burst.
Summer is...
taking two trips to my car from the library because I checked out so many books.
reading through half that pile in a ten-day period.
devouring every Jodi Picoult novel ever written, and feeling like a good friend has died every time I finish another book.
falling asleep each night dog-tired by 9:30, most often with a book resting on my chest and a smile on my face.
Summer is...
anticipating all the fun events that are soon to come... 3rd of July BBQ, Unruh family beach trip, and meeting sweet baby Rowan for the first time.
throwing away my schedule and list of "things to do" and "projects to complete" and realizing that I'm doing exactly what I want to do every second of the day.
earning three units post-grad units, and feeling giddy that I only need three more courses to max out on the pay scale at work.
taking Swee'Pea to the movies for the first time, and realizing that he has inherited his mother's distaste for sitting in one seat for any extended period of time.
Summer is...
fresh lemonade.
cold beers in a frosty mug.
sweet sangria.
rainbow sherbet after a long bike ride to the park and back.
Summer is...
riding our bikes to the little league park to watch kids we don't know play baseball.
listening to the Dodger games on the radio and cheering widely in my car while driving down the street.
running through the sprinklers fully clothed and getting soaked to the bone.
wearing my hair in braids every day because blow-drying and curling and pampering just doesn't appeal to me right now.
Summer is...
spending time with those I love that I don't see often enough during the school year.
swim parties, play dates, and picnic lunches in the backyard.
having spend-the-nighties with my sweet nephew, and smiling from deep inside my heart as I see him and Swee'Pea laugh hysterically with each other for two days straight.
knowing that I love my son more and more each day, and rejoicing in the fact that I have this precious time to watch him grow and change right before my eyes.
Summer is...
the smell of fresh cut alfalfa hitting my nose.
memories of endless nights of toilet papering, bike rides, Vanilla Pepsis, and carrot cake.
thinking of the crazy times I had at summer camp, and wishing there was a camp for 20-something-year-old women.
loving that I still have the same best friends I have had for the past 10+ years.
Summer is...
love.
joy.
happiness.
and thankfulness.
Summer had been everything I'd hoped it would be, but more than I ever expected it to be. I am loving every moment of every day I have at home... and I'm giddy with the knowledge that there are still ten-and-a-half precious more weeks of summer break left.







Summer is the best! I love all the things you've mentioned and more...except Roseanne.
ReplyDeleteYay for Summer! Enjoy every moment of it!
ReplyDeleteYay for summer and for a post on how much you've already been enjoying it.
ReplyDeletePoo that we will yet again be gone for the 3rd of July and thus my tradition with Gma Linda goes out the door again.
Yeah for the Unruh Family Reunion, I really loved those and may have to sneak to the beach just because.
I'm glad you posted again and hopefully I'll atleast lure you and Swee' Pea into my car soon for a visit with the grandmas who don't see enough of any of us.
Love you!
I love your post! I am really glad that you are having such a wonderful summer (and hopefully I will be able to hear more about it when we come to cali this summer)! You have such an amazing family and I can't tell you how happy it makes me that you get this time to enjoy them!
ReplyDeleteI just love Swee'Pea's FISTFULS of wheat thins LOL So glad that you are enjoying your summer!
ReplyDelete:o)
ReplyDeleteSo you're the one that had all of the Jodi Picoult books checked out when I was looking for them at the library last night! ;) I want to read that one before the movie comes out...it looks SO good!
ReplyDeleteAnyways, so glad you're enjoying your summer!! It all sounds so lovely! That last picture is absolutely PRICELESS!! :)
glad you are loving every moment friend!
ReplyDeleteyou have such a way with words. makes me want to do all that stuff too! even the sweating, you manage to make sound appealing and invigorating.
ReplyDeleteand i think you look super duper cute in braids!
(Sigh) Ok that made me want to cry. I feel EXACTLY the same way about everything and dread the thought of summer being over and going back to work. Yuck.
ReplyDeleteI had no idea you were such an early riser! We get up at 6 every morning! We should do a 7 am Starbucks trip and let the boys run around the fountain! Seriously that would be SO MUCH fun! I heart mornings!
The pictures are so so so so cute!
It sounds like you are having a WONDERFUL summer! And just think, it has only begun! I really hope you can fulfill your dream of being a stay at home mom someday because it sounds like it makes you so incredibly happy. Yay for summer!
ReplyDeleteI like the last part best...summer camp, fresh cut alfalfa, toilet papering...love it!!
ReplyDeleteSam is so big! Glad you get to spend lots of time with him this summer.
ReplyDelete