Monday, April 20, 2009

Donna Martin graduates...

Now that summer is slowly quickly approaching, I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do with all my freedom and time.  Of course, there is all the fun I'll be having hanging out with Swee'Pea, working in my garden, working on super exciting sewing and crafting projects around the house, cooking and baking and creating up a storm in the kitchen... but what about those lazy times?  When I've just finished another good book, the little one is asleep, and all I want to do is doze on the couch with the air conditioner on high and the TV tuned to something funny and familiar and not too intense.

I don't know if those of you who have cable realize it, but there really is nothing on network channels during the day.  (Quite honestly, I don't think there is much interesting stuff on at night either, but that is just me).  Oh, I do love my Law and Order and CSI and 30 Rock and Kings... and boy oh boy do I miss my beloved ER... but those are all on just a few nights a week, and that leaves entire mornings and afternoons open when I'm most likely to turn the TV on.  I can't stand most of the morning talk shows... nor do I care about who is sleeping with whom or which random star from the late 1980's has come back from the dead to kill her stepson's illegitimate love child with her second cousin twice removed on one of the many soaps that invade the stations from 11am-3pm.  Alas, my two options over the past month had been A) The Cosby Show or B) Roseanne (and I'm not embarrassed to admit, sometimes I would totally rush home from running errands just so I could watch Roseanne).  

Because of our limited free TV viewing options, we've invested in several TV series on DVD over the past few years... we've got the complete series of Seinfeld and Arrested Development (two shows which I firmly believe every household should own...) and I most recently completed my set of Friends (gotta love cheap discs at Target!).  I need one more season to go to complete my collection of 24, and we've also got some random seasons of The OC (don't lie, you know you miss that show), Family Guy, The Shield, and Night Court (random, I know).  I've really wanted to get into a new show that I can start collecting, so I've started researching on Amazon for good finds and good deals.  I've been wanting to find a show that is, like I said, fun and funny and not so intense that I will freak if I fall asleep 20 seconds into it (unlike with 24 where I panic if I miss a single second... who knows who Jack Bauer will have shot dead while I blinked... or how he will have narrowly escaped death by fighting off 20 armed gunmen with a single straw).

I have been searching and searching and searching... and then it hit me.  Why reinvent the wheel?  Why try a new show when there are so many other shows I already hold near and dear and would love to add to my collection?

A few clicks of the button, and I had my wish list set.  I think I'm going to have a pretty fun summer of catching up with some old friends if I'm able to order a few of these puppies.  What do you guys think?  Which should I start with first??












Okay, seriously, I really do want to get into a new show.  I'm thinking I want to order some seasons of HBO's Big Love.  I am OBSESSED with this show, even though I've only seen like five episodes (I think Marge is just the cutest person EVER!).  I am glued to it when I'm at my mom's house and it is on... and a ton of people at work watch it and talk about it and I'm dying that I am not able to watch it.  What do you guys think?  Anyone a fan of Big Love and have some input??

18 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh all those old shoes! As I was scrolling down I kept saying Oh My Gosh I loved that one! HAHA Especially Sweet Valley High! haha
    Ok and WHEN have the Friends seasons been on sale?!?! I want that set sooo bad but the box set is over $100!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another idea for you...since we don't have cable either, we use some sort of special cable that connects our computer to our TV so that we can watch most shows that appear online right on our TV screen. Works pretty well for us.

    Otherwise, I think you should go for "Salute Your Shorts"...it's a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGOMGOMGOGMOGMGOGMOGMGOGMOGMOGMOG

    I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED THAT YOU HAVE DINOSAURS ON THERE! I LOOOOOVED THAT SHOW!
    ALSO, MY SO CALLED LIFE. UGGG BEST SHOW EVER. I NAMED MY CAT, CATALANO, AFTER MY BOYFRIEND JORDAN. DROOOL.

    AND I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT SALUTE YOUR SHORTS, I WANT TO WATCH THAT AGAIN NOW.

    BUT YOU ARE TOTALLY MISSING THE COSBYS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DINOSAURS!!! That is one of those shows that I NEVER would have remembered, until seeing that picture. I LOVED that show!! :-)

    And yes, Big Love is so awesome. We had HBO up until we moved to Temecula, so I haven't seen the last season or so, but it was sooooo good when I could watch it. I saw the new season at Hollywood video... and I'm also thinking of joining Netflix... so we hope to catch up on that and Entourage during my maternity leave. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever seen Gilmore Girls? I reluctantly started watching through Netflix and by about 4-5 episodes in ohhhhh it was like crack for me. I watched all the seasons in less than a year. :-X Also, dh and I have been laughing our butts off at Malcolm in the Middle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um. LOVE Big Love. I was totally hooked on it my last year in college, now I have to catch up in DVD. Their lifestyle is fascinating. I am a little sad I did not see Dawsons Creek on your list. From personal experience, I know that watching every single episode every morning at 9 is a great way to pass the summer. Especially if you were unemployed like me. I just lived vicariously through Joey and her job at the Ice House. but your choices are classic. Definitely Sweet Valley High. I had the board game too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you don't mind blood and guts, Dexter is AWESOME.

    And yeah, Big Love, Entourage, Sex & the City, basically anything that is/was on HBO. OH! And Weeds. Okay, done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. CLARISSA! I loved her...also, I'm totally wanting to read Tori Spelling's bio this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are killing me. Salute your shorts? SO sad that I know that show. I blame it on younger brothers. Okay, so I have to put a word in for Cosby! We have that and watched it almost as much as AD :) Have you heard of Flight of the Conchords? I haven't seen a full episode yet but check them out on YouTube. Ryan and I were almost peeing our pants. I can see you and Mark like it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was totally addicted to Big Love until the writers strike put it out of production for an entire season. Now that it's back I've had a hard time getting in to it.

    As for your box set choices, I always got a laugh out of Clarissa Speaks. Oh and Dinasours totally reminds me of Perez! LOL

    I bought Don Seasons 1 & 2 of M*A*S*H for his birthday. I want to get Two and a Half Men and Fraiser is another one I'd like to get. It's all good stuff to have on without having to pay attention to it.

    I do have a question though. Who is Donna Martin and why do we care that she graduated???

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved sweet valley high. mom wouldn't let me read the books, but i was sneaky and read them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay what about Blossom....Joey Lawrence WHOAH!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!:) Oh how I loved Clarissa and Alex Mac!

    Big love is awesome! Go for it!:) And I adore Marge as well, poor girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my gosh!! Clarissa! And Alex Mack!! I totally forgot about those shows. I totally loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I <3 Big Love. Uncle Jimmy is in ALF and therefore I am a HUGE lover of the show. And girl you know I have every single season of the OC so don't be shy if you want to borrow them!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't seen Big Love, so I can't really comment about it. We have started the HBO series- John Adams & it is fantastic. We have only seen the first 2 episodes, but it is pretty good.

    I pretty much avoid ALF at all costs as it reminds me of why I write my initials as AF instead of ALF.

    Good luck & happy viewing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with Momma D... who's donna martin?

    Also, I was not aware that Sweet Valley High was a tv series? (or a board game for that matter) but oohhhh I loved those books in jr. high!

    xox
    cnc

    ReplyDelete
  18. I stumbled across your cute blog and love your creativity and all the fun stuff you do! I loved this list of shows, but have to put in my 2 cents about "Big Love". Since I am a Mormon or a member of The church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I feel a responsibility to clear confusion that comes from the story-line in this show. The main characters of "Big Love" are not “Mormons,” or, more properly termed, Latter-day Saints. HBO has said the script makes it clear that members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints don’t practice polygamy. Still, placing the series in Salt Lake City, the international headquarters of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is enough to blur the line between the modern Church and the program’s subject matter and to reinforce old and long-outdated stereotypes.

    Polygamy was officially discontinued by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1890. Any Church member adopting the practice today is excommunicated. Groups that continue the practice in Utah and elsewhere have no association whatsoever with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Most of their practitioners have never been among its members.

    Unfortunately, this distinction is often lost on members of the public and even on some senior journalists. When ABC network’s Prime Time recently aired a program focused on the secretive polygamous community of Colorado City, the reporter repeatedly referred to members of the community as “Mormon polygamists.” In response, the Church points to the Associated Press style guide for journalists which states: "The term Mormon is not properly applied to the other ... churches that resulted from the split after (Joseph) Smith's death." In other words, polygamous communities should never be referred to as "Mormon" polygamists or “Mormon” fundamentalists.

    Just wanted to clear the air. Hope it was ok. If you have any questions about "Mormons" and want to ask a real on, please feel free. I would love it.

    ReplyDelete