The problem with buying in bulk is that, although much cheaper than buying a smaller box at the grocery store, you end up with a disproportionate amount of flavors left over. I'm a Maple and Brown Sugar girl all the way. LOVE me some Maple and Brown Sugar. I have days where I don't mind the Cinnamon Roll but really, my heart is faithful to my Maple and Brown Sugar. Swee'Pea, none the wiser and completely unaware that there is such thing as Maple and Brown Sugar, has always dined on the plain oatmeal. Simple. Straight forward. And chock full of whole grains.
The problem is, there are only 5 packets of plain oatmeal in a box of 55 packets. And 8 packets is only enough for about a week of meals for this little one. I have yet to finish my packets of Maple and Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Roll, so I'd hate to spend the money to buy a whole extra box when I technically am not ready for one. And I don't want to buy the plain flavor at the regular grocery store because face it, it is just too pricey. And yes, yes, I know that it is even CHEAPER to buy plain oats in bulk but come on people, the convenience of the instant packet is just so much more appetizing... and seriously, no sticky bowl or pan to clean!
The answer came to be a few weeks ago.
apple. cinnamon.
Of course! Those are the packets I always have left over at the end of the box... those 16 packets are always what I have to force myself to eat before I get to buy a new box of oatmeal. But could I serve Apple Cinnamon to Swee'Pea? SHOULD I serve it to Swee'Pea? I mean, it IS technically fruit, right? And Cinnamon isn't SUGAR, so it shouldn't be bad for him... right?!
From first moment he tasted those sweet apples in oats, I knew my problem had been solved. He devoured it, loved EVER SINGLE BITE of it. He shoved it in fist after fist, hardly tasting it before swallowing every yummy bite.
And then I noticed a problem. At first I thought I must not have let it cool long enough... then I worried that maybe he just had a fever... but day after day, the truth became so apparently clear...

Swee'Pea is allergic to Apple Cinnamon oatmeal.
Every day when he would eat it, I would notice a red rash on his face. Any piece of his skin that was touched by the oatmeal would instantly flush, as if he had just run a race or was running a very high fever. He never fussed, he never whined, but I knew that this reaction must be from the new flavored oatmeal...

As sad as he was when I took away his beloved breakfast treat, I could keep knowingly give it to him knowing it was consistently causing a reaction. Looks like I'm back to finishing off the box of instant oatmeal, and Swee'Pea has to go back to plain 'ol oats in a bowl.





I found the coolest thing at Target awhile back. Bulk boxes of SINGLE flavors. A WHOLE Big Box of just MBS. they had others too but we are MBS fans here too :) But I was just there this weekend and they had a BUNCH of the bulk boxes in ORIGINAL on clearance! And we all know why but those would be perfect for you and SweePea!
ReplyDeleteOh yes, Apples and cinnamon... MACKENZIE LOVES IT! =) Luckily I have never noticed her having a reaction to it. She likes my (our) favorite too, maple and brown sugar. I also started giving Mackenzie the Apples and Cinnamon when it seemed that was all that was left in the pantry (the unliked by mom & dad)... I actually got my first real understanding sentence from Mackenzie with the maple & brown sugar. She was sitting in her high chair and taken a couple bites, looked at me and said "momma that good" as she pointed at her bowl of oatmeal. =)
ReplyDeleteI live on instant oatmeal at work also! I am a Cinnamon Roll kinda girl though =) You let him feed himself?! You are such a better mom! I spoon feed Peyton his oatmeal in fear of him taking an oatmeal bath!
ReplyDeleteHis poor little face! That looks painful =( Is he allergic to Apple?
Oh, Christie! I have had the same thing happen with my little guy. Each time he would eat the Apples 'n' Cinnamon packet, he would get a red rash around his mouth, too. I seriously think it is the cinnamon. Have you ever heard of anyone being allergic to cinnamon, though? So odd. I know he isn't allergic to apples. So, I figured it was cinnamon. Fortunately, I don't mind eating the A&C ones and the little guy does fine with all the other flavors. You are such a wise mom to make the connection and to stop giving it to him, even if he doesn't fuss about the rash.
ReplyDeleteOH that is the RUMMEST luck ever. Calvin and I get practically giddy over our Apple n 'cin. Seriosuly LOVE IT. Even though I pick the apples out for me. The cinnamon roll is waaaaaaay to sweet for me. I absolutely hate it. John decided to be the sacrificial lamb in our home and he eats the cinnamon roll packets for us. And Finn will only eat MBS.
ReplyDeletePoor little cheeks. They sure are cute though!
ReplyDeleteMmmmm... I'm definitely a maple and brown sugar girl too! Then Cinnamon roll... and THEN and only then... apple cinnamon. Thats a bummer you cant get rid of those ones by feeding them to Sam. That would have been the perfect solution. :-(
ReplyDeleteYeah so Apples 'n' Cinnamon are my FAVORITE!! So if you just want to mail me those packets I'd gladly eat them for you! ;)
ReplyDeleteBummer on the reaction...maybe he'll outgrow it as he gets older?? LOVE that last pic though...priceless!
How sad! His poor little cheeks. OK this may sound totally random, but did you ever take a Big Red gum wrapper and have someone lick it and put it on their forehead.. and then it starts to burn and turn red? LOL I know real mature, but hey it IS kinda funny. But anyways, his red little face reminded me of that. So my vote is for the cinnamon in the oatmeal. :) Isn't my reasoning so logical?
ReplyDeleteAwwww! His little cheeks! What a bummer that he's allergic to apples and cinnamon oatmeal! Who would have thought you could be allergic to that.
ReplyDelete