We've already had our fair share of bumps and bruises in this house. A split lip from crashing into the coffee table. Black eyes from pulling down books and TV trays onto his head. More goose eggs and forehead injuries than I can count.
We've even had to call poison control. Twice.
The funny thing is, he doesn't even cry when he gets into these messes. Sure, we've had a few tears shed every now and then. But hand him a bag of ice and he is all smiles and giggles. Partly I think this has to do with the fact that Popeye and I tend to be pretty calm with Swee'Pea gets into trouble. We calmly say, "Brush it off! Brush it off!" in a sing-song voice and try our hardest to remain calm even when we see the bruises starting to form or the blood in his mouth starting to pool. I can count on one hand the amount of times we've actually rushed to his aid when he has fallen or we've heard his head thump on a table or tile. Usually we just stare in awe as he stumbles, laughs, rights himself once again and scurries off to find some other disaster to get himself into.
But this last incident takes the cake.
It takes the cake, my friends, because we have no clue when it happened.
I was shocked and admittedly devastated last Sunday afternoon when I noticed that my sweet boy had chipped his front tooth. I had no clue when it happened. Nor did Popeye. All we know is that on Saturday night when we brushed his teeth they were perfectly perfect, and on Sunday afternoon he revealed that one of his front teeth was scraggly and broken.
He never fell. Not a fall that would produce such a tragic result. He never cried. Sure, a cry when we put him in bed or when one of us left him behind in the church nursery. But not an, "Oh my gosh I smashed my face and there are pieces of my body falling off as we speak!" kind of cry...
He has had so many scrapes and bruises and bloody lips in the fast few months but seriously, a chipped tooth?!
I guess this is what comes with having a boy. Heaven help us, he has to keep this teeth until he is five or six, so please, please let this be the last time he chips one of them!




Bummer man! Isn't it weird that they can do things like that and you don't even know? Julianne is always waking up with bruises and I have no idea what she did to get them. Oh the joys of parenthood!!!
ReplyDeleteOH NO!!! He's such a tough little guy! You must give us a close up of this chipped tooth though!
ReplyDeleteOh my word! Can they fix it or do they just wait for it to fall out since it is a baby tooth?? Does he notice it at all?? That is just so crazy!! I bet it is absolutely funky and cute though!! =) Hope to see you soon!!!!
ReplyDeleteIf a replacement is necessary, please, please, please make it silver. ;)
ReplyDeleteYou've had to call poison control twice? Wow. I admire you guys for being so calm. I try, but I don't always keep it together.
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to not go ballistic at the small falls. I'm getting better. But, I KNOW I will freak out if there is blood. And there are always bruises on Lil Major and I have NO idea where they come from.
ReplyDeleteDoes he feel pain?? Wow! What a tough kid! Braden has only had a few head bumps so far. He's a little more of a cautious kid though. I think it's his Daddy's metro side. hehe. Ummm... poison control?? What the heck is he getting into?
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness you're so funny! i called 911 today..yep, for real. i'll blog about it soon (i know...so behind...but i'm doing an update tonight or tomorrow for sure)! i totally want more details on the posion control stories!
ReplyDeletePoor guy and his tooth! I'm glad it did not bother him though.
ReplyDelete