Today I decided it was high time I got myself in gear and do something about my lackluster attempts at memorializing this time in our lives. Even if it is just a couple photos and a blog post, it makes me feel better knowing that the little moments of today will not be forgotten...There is so much I want to remember about this time we are in. I want to remember every good moment... every laugh... every smile. I want to remember the little sparks and quirks that are coming out in Swee'Pea's personality... all the things he does and says that make him who he is.

He is only fifteen months old, but already I feel like I'm getting glimpses of who he will be when he is older. He is smart. Oh so smart. He remembers how to do things I've shown him only once or twice how to do... he knows where his room is, and where to find the best toys. He knows that "num nums" come from the pantry, and "milk" comes from a carton of soy milk we keep in the fridge. He knows that Wii remotes control race cars and that keys unlock doors and start engines.

He is a chatterbox, and will talk to anyone who'll listen. His voice is as sweet as an angel's, and his facial expressions while conversing are to die for. His aunties swear that if he had a twin they'd have their own little alien language together, and I have to say I agree. Many words he says are a jumble of sounds and grunts, but more often than not I can actually understand what he is saying. He clearly says "thank you," "what's that," "num nums," "mama," "dada," "outside," "no," "here ya go," and a whole slew of other words. My favorite expression of his would have to be "um..." It is quite adorable when he uses it, which is usually after you ask him a question and he needs time to think.

His favorite place in the whole wide world is outside. As soon as he gets up in the morning he races to the back door and tries to open it (which means deadbolts now must be locked at all times). After breakfast I bundle him up, and he plays outside on his fort and in his truck for a good hour before he comes back in, snot faced and rosy cheeked. I'm usually bundled up on the porch in a blanket and boots with a mug of steaming coffee. But more and more I've learned to brave the cold and join him in his fun, racing around the backyard while pushing him in his truck, or investigating the streets of our neighborhood while walking to get the mail. Last week we rode our bike to the grocery store, and he smiled the entire time the wind whipped through his hair while sitting in the bike trailer amongst the broccoli and pizza sauce.
He is so interested in the world around him and what makes things work. Every buckle he sees he sets out to open and close. Every random toy or piece of trash he discovers must go into a box or a basket. A few days ago he was mesmerized by his daddy and uncle working with some wiring in our master bedroom. He sat low on his haunches, inspecting their work, and taking the opportunity whenever it presented itself to steal the electric screwdriver and make it run and run and run. Every new finding is greeted with a fascinated "oh..." from his little lips, and his fascination with new things is heightened when Popeye or myself run to take away whatever naughty thing he has gotten into. His latest discovery is the flusher on the toilets, which he has yet to quite master but has sneakily attempted to on more occasions than one.
Oh how incredibly amazing, this child of mine. And how incredibly sweet is each and every day we have with him.




What a great and sweet post. You make me want to document all the things that Little Buddy is doing. I wish I had started doing that sooner. Maybe I'll start now, at least, though. Swee'Pea is such a cutie!
ReplyDeleteSwee' Pea is such a sweetheart. It amazes me how much he has grown and changed just in the short time that you've been home with him. I miss him terribly and am amazed every time I visit at the changes in him. He is adorable and smart and funny and totally has his own little personality.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting such adorable photos of him.
He is getting so big...and in several of those pictures I swear he looks just like his Momma!! Glad to see pics again...hope all is well with you!
ReplyDeleteThose pictures are gorgeous! And your words are as well!
ReplyDeleteI must say I am incredibly jealous of all this rounded corner goodness you have going on!
I love the way you can recap about Swee' Pea and its like I am sitting right there watching him do the things and say the things he does. You have a sweet little one!
ReplyDeleteOh and the "flusher" be careful with that, mine learned a long time ago what it did... lets just say we had to pull the toilet up and get Princess Aurora out.
Awwww... what an adorable little guy!!! I love all those pictures of him, especially that last one!!
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written. :) He's sooo cute. :)
ReplyDeleteHe's so cute and sweet looking. His alias fits well from what I've seen. :)
ReplyDeletehe is so cute. codi has just figured out that the crackers are in the pantry...my floor has never been the same since.
ReplyDeleteAwwwwww!!! Love it!! Glad i'm one of the "cool kids" who gets to read the bloggie! I heard him say "thank you" clear as DAY on Christmas... did a double-take and you confirmed that i'd heard what I thought I heard. You handed him a num-num, he said "Thanks!" HAHAHAHAHA!! Brilliant little chatterbox!
ReplyDeletexox
cnc
Ah, I love that you're documenting him so well. I almost forget this sweet stage of discovery. I mean she's still discovering, it's just not quite as sweet anymore ;) Sweetpea is such a stud and your pictures are beautiful.
ReplyDelete