As discussed in this post from a few days ago, Popeye and I have decided to use Dave Ramsey's baby steps towards finding financial freedom in our lives. We began to discuss this plan wholeheartedly in the fall, and decided to implement our plan beginning January 1st of this year.
I want to keep track of how I am doing with this plan and how each month goes so that I can see what we need to fix or change in our plan and what we are doing that is working. I'd love to hear from any of you who have used this plan or are currently using this plan to see how your stories compare to ours and how you are making this system work for your household. I also want to stay motivated to continue to plan for as long as we need to in order to pay off our debt, and to move on to saving and building for our future.
This is a review of how our first month went.
The first step towards the total money makeover is to accomplish baby step one: a small emergency fund of $1,000. It was funny to read in Dave's book about how people put this money aside. Some put it in a bank, others stash it somewhere in the house where no one could find it. One woman even took ten $100 bills and put them in an 8 x 10 frame in the back of her closet. She wrote on the glass: Break only in case of emergencies. We started our month by committing this amount of money to an emergency fund to be used only for just that: emergencies.
Baby step two is much more difficult and takes much more time. This step involves paying off all debt, except for a home loan, starting with the smallest debt amount first. You then use the Debt Snowball to pay off each loan, progressively working towards your largest loan. Basically, you pay the minimum on each loan you have, but put every extra cent you have to your smallest loan. Once that is paid off, you put whatever you were paying on that towards your next smallest loan, in addition to whatever you were paying on that loan. You continue paying off loans this way until all your loans are paid off. I am not a money manager or an accountant, but in Dave's book there are great outlines and lists of how this plan works compared to other
popular debt-payment plans, Dave's plan always came out paying off debts sooner using less money.
So, having completed baby step one, we are now on baby step 2: paying off debt. We committed to no longer using any credit cards, and do not even use our debit card unless it is a strict emergency and we don't have cash on hand. I made envelopes listing every "department" we had (aside from bills) and from each paycheck we receive, I put aside cash into each envelope which we use to pay for various items.
The envelopes we had for January were:
Dr/Health/Beauty (all co-pays, medicines, soap, shampoo, diapers, wipes, make-up, etc.)
Car/Repairs (oil changes, tags, etc.)
Gas
Home/Repairs (detergent, cleaning supplies, printer ink, decorations, etc.)
Groceries
Entertainment (eating out, movies, fun activities)
Swee'Pea
Popeye
Olive Oyl
Gifts
Terminix (this is a bill we only get 4x a year, so I put aside a little each month towards it).
Here are the problems I discovered along the way while I was using the plan this month:
1. We don't just get paid once a month... and our pay dates are never consistent because Popeye works for the county. Therefore, I can't fill each envelope at the beginning of the month, and rather make 'payments' to myself. I keep track of the money I've put into the envelope on the right side of the front, and the money that comes out is kept track on the left. I have run into a few situations where I had to hold off getting gas or groceries by a day or two because we had to wait to get cash into our envelopes. I am committed to not using credit cards though, so I kept committed to only purchasing things that I had the actual cash on hand for.
2. Sometimes unexpected things happen. Like having nine doctors appointments with nine co-pays between Swee'Pea and myself in a two-week period in January. Or having to purchase a stinking boot because I was being ridiculous and thought that cheap towel bars could hold my body weight (sidenote: I now need to buy a new towel bar....). We went way over on our Dr/Health/Beauty budget this month. But of all the things you may have to compromise on, this is one I couldn't say no to. Doctors don't exactly like you barter at the counter for what your copay will be for your visit. Or your ridiculous boot.
3. There were some things I simply didn't think of that we spend money on. There were some things that simply don't seem to fit in any category. Like gum. And dry cleaning. And stamps. I don't want to use what little personal money I get each month for gum... but I can't exactly count it as groceries. But what if I buy a large box and Popeye and I share it... then does it count as groceries? And what about dry cleaning? Popeye needs it way more than I do with his uniforms and suits, so should he have to pay for that out of his personal money or do I make an additional envelope? What envelope can stand losing some money if I have to put more money towards a dry cleaning envelope?
4. No matter how much I deny that I needed it, I have to have a clothing allowance. There is never going to be enough in it each month to actually purchase anything of value, but after saving up a few months worth of envelopes, both Popeye and I will be able to purchase a few things. Between the two of us we've lost 40 pounds in the past year... new clothes aren't just a want in this house, they are a need right now.
Here are the things that made me happy and helped me to feel good about the plan:
1. I knew we would never overdraw our bank account. Popeye didn't have to ask me for money to get gas for the truck or how much money he had to eat lunch or go out with friends shooting. We each have our own personal envelope with our own cash. It isn't much by any means, but it is enough that we can have a few times out to coffee or lunch with friends without feeling guilty. It is funny to see how we each use our money: I choose to save mine up until the end of the month to go out to a nice dinner or drinks with friends... Popeye chooses to get as many ridiculously cheap fast-food meals as humanly possible out of his funds.
2. There is no guilt!!! I can buy Swee'Peah\ a pair of flip-flops or a little water bucket and shovel from Target without feeling guilty. I can buy a yummy sandwich or a coffee drink without worries that we won't have enough money left at the end of the month for groceries. Each envelope is meant for what it is labeled, and that is what that money is used for. I loved how at the end of the month if there was extra money I could choose to save it towards something special or buy something extra I wasn't planning on. Swee'Pea's extra envelope money from last month went into this months envelope, as I know that he'll soon need new shoes and summer clothes and I'll want some extra money. And the extra grocery money? That went towards soda and chips and some other treats we normally don't get to purchase. And I got to do it all completely. guilt. free.
3. It is fun! I feel like I am going on an adventure. I love the challenge of seeing where else I can save money, and I love the feeling of accomplishing our goal of paying off debt. I love making my envelopes and lists of finances and typing up my report at the end of the month listing what we spent for each bill and in each "department." Yes, I am well aware that I am a nerd. I've stopped fighting it.
I think that overall our first month went well. The best part of this plan is that I can change it as I need to in order to fit the different needs we will have each month. For February I adjusted the amounts of cash I wanted in each envelope, and also added a few new categories: lawncare and clothes. We no longer have a gardener, so it did not even dawn on me that we'd have to spend money for our lawn. Um, yeah, apparently we still have to buy weed killer and grass seed and gas for the mower.
I am excited to see what February brings with our budget and our envelope system. I feel encouraged by how well this month went, and I'm motivated to continue our plan for as long as we need to accomplish baby step two and beyond!

All my envelopes... I keep track of what I've spent and where on the left hand side and keep all my receipts in their respective envelopes which helps for easy returns when necessary...

My new "wallet"... ignore the labels, this is from my wedding. I divide my bills into those that are due first of the month and those in the middle. I have my stamps, envelopes, address labels, and my check book in here. And, of course, my trusty calculator! I just grab an envelope out when I need to go shopping, and this helps with the ease of paying and organizing my bills.

I keep a little flip book in my purse to write down things I notice on sale and things I know I need to purchase in the next few months. I try to put an estimate of how much they will cost on the side so I can evaluate which I should purchase first or which I have enough money for that month...

My monthly "statement" of all money brought in and taken out. We paid off some stuff this month with accordance to baby-step one, so we had some transfers from our savings... this was the HARDEST part for me... letting go of my savings. I swear I keep looking over my shoulder waiting for one of our cars to breakdown or for our house to flood now that we are doing Dave Ramsey. I'm trying to trust in the Lord though that this plan is right for us!
I know this post was RIDICULOUSLY long. And perhaps no one will read it. But it really helped me a lot to sit down and think out what I have liked and disliked about this plan so far. I hope that this may help some of you who are thinking about doing this plan, or have started this plan but have felt discouraged lately about sticking with it. I just want everyone to know that it is possible, and how excited I am that we are on the road to a Total Money Makeover!




Good for you for doing this. Man, that looks like a lot of work but it will be worth it. I do something similar but don't use the cash method. We instead put EVERYTHING on the credit card and pay it off in full each month. We have to do that do get airline miles for free tickets since our families live so far away. I hope you have fewer Dr. visits/copays in February! :) I hate my boot and am not wearing it today!!!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOk. As much as i want to get our debt in order, I am afraid of doing it. I'm afraid to find out how hard it is. But seriously... that whole "pay off the smallest bill first... then use that money each month to put towards the next smallest bill" is genius. I just might have to buy this book (or copy everything you are doing on this blog).
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update. Its so awesome to see how well this plan seems to be working. The debt thing I will start right away, but the envelope system might wait just a bit longer. I'm still in denial.
we have an envelope labeled general supplies--usually stuff purchased at target/walmart--i'm assuming this is your house/repairs category. the thing i like about a general supplies category, is that it also fits miscellaneous items(like gum or stamps) that fall under no category. that way i don't pull my hair out, trying to categorize lame items.
ReplyDeletei LOVE how Dave labels one spouse the "nerd" and the other spouse the "free-spirit". John is definitely the nerd with our money and I am the free-spirt. a whole thesis could be written on the subject. very entertaining! there is NO WAY i could have done this plan, if John did not organize it all. so, I am super impressed with your dedication. it really is hard work at first. john spent practically the whole month of Dec. working out all the kinks. we are tying up ALL loose ends in our little financial world, including our will and Roth IRA's and increasing life insurance. ALL WORTH THE EFFORT!
*sorry for the deleted comment. i was signed in as lorieloo(as usual when she comes over and takes over my computer) and did not want to give you a heart attack, thinking it was her! ha! would have been funny though.
and See Sherm:DO IT DO IT DO IT:):):) you won't regret it!!
I'm so glad you came and commented on my blog! :D
ReplyDeleteThis post was SO inspiring, i've been buckling down and working hard to pay off our debt but we dont have ANY savings and reading this really put some things into perspective for me...Im now planning on getting this book and making some changes around our house, thanks!!!! love this post.
Ha ha I love this post, mostly because you are almost as much of an organizational freak as I am =) We do this too, but not with tangible envelopes. We have an Excel Spreadsheet Budget that is freakishly detailed. Oh and I would put gum under groceries =) I think anything that can be purchased at a grocery store is a grocery =) We made dry-cleaning its own category. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteOkay this is a long post and I have to finish reading it later, but I think gum belongs in the grocery category because chewing gum can help you eat less, or health and beauty because it's good for teeth and makes your breath smell good.
ReplyDeleteEliza... you are hilarious. I think I'm going to put it in the grocery category because that is where I have the most cash. :) But it is very true that it could be in the health and beauty category, because Popeye seems to think he doesn't have to brush his teeth in the morning if he chews gum (thankfully I have taught him that yes, he still does have to brush, regardless of his gum-chewing practices...). :)
ReplyDeletewow...so impressed with your organization and dedication! good luck. i'm inspired. :)
ReplyDeleteI like how organized this is. We just sort of look at what we have each week and allocate it out based on what we know is coming up. But we also have an overall budget that we revist every couple of months.
ReplyDeleteI love this method and think it is great that you are doing it! Kurt and I write out what we have due each month on a calender and when he gets paid and allocate money that way. We are big freaks about not having debt so we would pay off lots of things really early anyways. All we have now is the house, his truck and now my medical bills. Ugh! It feels so great to not have the looming bills. GOod luck and I hope it all works for you you guys!!!
ReplyDeleteD and I were totally laughing when we sat through Dave, too, b/c I'm definitely the "nerd" and he's definitely not! only i'm not anywhere NEAR the "nerd" when it comes to keeping track of all of our spending (recording it all) which is why the envelopes work so well for us! I, too, love how great it feels to be able to make purchases and not feel the least bit guilty about it . . and I love having my own money/allowance for the same reasons. I'd love to hear more about how you're staying on top of all of the "paperwork" of recording everything and tracking the amount of $ that's set aside for future expenses like furniture, property taxes, vacations, etc. Oh, and you may want to go up and edit #2 if the things you feel good about . . you used Swee'Pea's real name :)
ReplyDeletei read it all and think it is great that youre writing it all out. it probably will help a lot of people down the road who decide to do it and can read all this. i wish we could be doing this right now, we did a version of it before but now we are basically living off mikes tips so we pay/buy as we get it.
ReplyDeletegood job, i totally understand the thrill you get from the organization of it all!
I loved your post, especially since we are just a week into our first month with envelopes. I think the best thing about this program is how much we are both thinking about every purchase we make. Even tonight as I was out looking for a new wallet....URGGG, I hated using our atm card, but I had no cash (since it was stolen). But still it was nice to know that this was coming out of the BLOW money. Not really what I wanted to be spending it on, but I guess that is what it is for.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work and please keep posting about it.....I like hearing what works for people and what doesn't.
We are in week three and it is so inspiring to hear from others who are on this great plan too!
ReplyDeleteI love love love the envelope system. Mine for sure needs tweeking. I think I need a mommy and daddy envelope and I need to be better about using the clothing one, i always forget and use my incidental one for that. sigh.
ReplyDelete