If you are just joining me today, I encourage you to go back and read posts
*****
God has a plan for me.
I know this well.
But I also know that if His plan is going to come to fruition, I have to step out of the way.
I have to let go of my own agenda.
I have to allow Him the authority and control in my life to do as He pleases.
I have to let Him do what He has always set out to do in me and with me.
And that is so hard.
I don't always understand how I fit into the grand scheme of God's plan. I have always felt burdened that He gave me a heart for children but He didn't fill my womb. I felt like this affliction was a heavy weight that was preventing me from serving God in the role He had placed on my heart.
But what if that very affliction is how God is choosing to have me serve Him?
What if my story is not how I overcame Infertility, but how God used me through Infertility?
But what if that very affliction is how God is choosing to have me serve Him?
What if my story is not how I overcame Infertility, but how God used me through Infertility?
We grow up when we see our life and our role from God's perspective;
when we thank God for the role he has assigned us and begin to see our cup as a gift instead of a cross; when each morning we ask, "God, how can I glorify You today in my given role?"
from Calm My Anxious Heart, Chapter 4
God calls us to follow Him.
Not just sometimes.
Not just when we feel like it.
Not just when things go our way.
But all the time.
Even as I grieve another month of failed infertility treatments...
Even as I cry out in the pain of another month with no baby in my womb...
Even as I ache with disappointment of another month without an answer to my prayers for a child...
I must follow.
Because God has a precious purpose and a plan for my life.
A plan He formed just for me long before I was even a thought in my mother's head.
A plan that will bring glory to Him through the ashes and brokenness of my life.
I must follow.
In my heartache.
In my pain.
In my grief.
I must follow.
Because if I am not willing to follow His plan...
If I'm not willing to let go of my own for His...
Than that plan will never be fulfilled.
Because no one can fulfill His perfect plan for my life but me.
All of your abilities -and your disabilities- were created to fit the unique plan God has for you.
No one can fulfill your purpose but you.
And God's plan for you and His plan for me embrace far more than
the events or circumstances that happen to us.
They also embrace what God wants us to be and do
and what He desires to do in and through us.
from Calm My Anxious Heart, Chapter 3
There are still so many days when I'm sad. When I've tried to tell God that He chose the wrong person, that I am not strong enough to bear this pain and load! But then I remind myself that I'm right. I'm not strong enough to bear the weigh of this pain.
But He is.
He is strong enough to carry the weight of a sinful world. To carry my sorrows and my sadness and my grief. And all I have to do is ask. He will answer. He has answered me. Time and time again. Maybe not with a baby. But with something even sweeter.
His peace.
His peace that protects, guides, and calms. His peace that does not erase the pain and grief of loss, but takes away all fear and turmoil. His peace that rescues me from the depths of despair and the agony of defeat.
*****
Yesterday morning before church I cried and prayed that God will speak through the pastor straight to my heart. I prayed that my heart would be touched in a strong and powerful way. And the Lord answered my prayer. We have been going through the book of Luke as a church, and today our pastor spoke on what Jesus longs for in His followers.
As they were going along the road, someone said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go."
And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests,
but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head."
To another he said, "Follow me."
But he said, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father."
And Jesus said to him, "Leave the dead to bury their own dead.
But as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God."
Yet another said, "I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home."
Jesus said to him, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back
is fit for the kingdom of God."
Luke 9:57-62
There is a cost to following Jesus.
He promises it will be uncomfortable.
He demands it to be without compromise.
He commands us to focus solely on Him.
After the pastor's sermon we did an extended acoustic worship set. The first song played was one of my favorites. And in the quiet of the dark worship center I broke. I bawled and I stretched my hands to Christ and I let this song be the prayer of my heart:
Savior I come
Quiet my soul
Remember
Redemption's hill
Where Your blood was spilled
For my Ransom
Everything I once held dear
I count it all as loss
Lead me to the cross
Where your love poured out
Bring me to my knees
Lord I lay me down
Rid me of myself
I belong to you
Oh lead me
Lead me to the cross
You were as I
Tempted and tried
Human
The word became flesh
Bore my sin and death
Now you're risen
Everything I once held dear
I count it all as loss
Where your love poured out
Bring me to my knees
Lord I lay me down
Rid me of myself
I belong to you
Oh lead me
Lead me to the cross
To your heart
To your heart
Lead me to your heart
Lead me to your heart
I want to be lead to Christ.
To His heart.
I'm letting go.
Of my plans of my schemes and my control.
Of my will and my schedule and my list of things to be checked-off.
This does not mean I have given up my desire to become a mother again.
But it does mean that I am going to live fully in the role Christ has assigned me instead of
waiting to fully live until He has answered my cry for another baby.
waiting to fully live until He has answered my cry for another baby.
I have failed.
I will continue to fail.
I will continue to fail.
But Christ is always there with His unending mercy and grace,
forgiving me and wrapping me in His arms of love.
forgiving me and wrapping me in His arms of love.
I am just a girl.
A girl saved by grace.
I am nothing.
But with Christ I have everything.
I pray that my life would be led in a way that leads others to Him.
That my words and my actions would always point back to my Heavenly Father.
That I would die to myself daily.
And live for Christ only.
That I'd open myself up to Him.
To be shaped and molded and used.
That I'd stop looking at myself as an Infertile woman.
And instead look at myself as a woman who is being used in my weaknesses by God.
That I'd accept this role He has chosen for me.
And that through my life, He would be glorified.
I am nothing.
But with Christ I have everything.
I pray that my life would be led in a way that leads others to Him.
That my words and my actions would always point back to my Heavenly Father.
That I would die to myself daily.
And live for Christ only.
That I'd open myself up to Him.
To be shaped and molded and used.
That I'd stop looking at myself as an Infertile woman.
And instead look at myself as a woman who is being used in my weaknesses by God.
That I'd accept this role He has chosen for me.
And that through my life, He would be glorified.
May the Lord be glorified in our lives.
Let us not think we need to say or be anything special,
but realize that it only needs to be Christ's love and mercy and hope and grace
shining brightly from us.





thank you thank you thank you.
ReplyDeletethis has ministered to me with each post and had me in tears.
i walked through such a similar experience with my sister and i can honestly say that there is little that has drawn me closer to the heart of God than that. i'm so blessed by your heart and your vulnerability. wow. i just can't say enough.
xoxo
can't say enough how proud I am of you and how much I admire you and look up to you. I love you.
ReplyDeleteit has really blessed me to read every single one of these posts.
ReplyDeleteseriously.
i was hoping you'd open up the comments at the end. :)
i just wanted to say so much of what you wrote resonated in my own heart - despite my own reasons being different - but girl, so much of what you wrote took words out of my mouth, out of my own prayers.
i love the honesty in your posts, and how saturated in the Word of God they are.
so much of what you wrote echos my own heart so often - particularly in The Ugly Truth.
thank you for sharing friend.
and you are truly in my prayers.
that you might easily find joy no matter what the circumstances are.
that everywhere you look you would see the love of our Lord surrounding you.
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3
You are amazingly brave and inspiring. I love you and your heart for Jesus. You inspire me. I'm so prou of you for sharing your heart and struggles and journey. I cried. Pretty much the whole time. You don't know how many nights after we hang out that I cry out to Jesus for you. You touch my heart in ways you will never know friend. I love you to the moon!!!
ReplyDeleteolive oyl, that was the most mesmerizing series of all time, and i completely was on the edge of my seat each word. you have a true gift for writing, and i know many hearts will be blessed and encouraged by your boldness in sharing from a place of pain. a place where all is not peachy.
ReplyDeletemy favorite was in part 3 when you wrote that you decided "He is the only thing I truly need".
we all need to get to that place, whatever the circumstances.
and i stand in awe that God chose you to hold up the torch for Him in this way...he does adore you and this entire series shouts out the love story of you and your savior.
i love you so much!
What an encouragement this series has been! I see so much of myself in the words that you've written...even to the point of where God has brought me through this journey. Thank you for writing them down and for sharing your heart...and for allowing God to use you in this way. I've already passed along this series to someone else that I know is struggling with this as well. May God continue to use you to encourage others and point them back to Him...because His plan and His will are so much better than anything we try and do on our own. xoxo
ReplyDeletereading these posts has been wonderfully healing for my soul. i too walked this path. i have to sons here on earth with me and four precious babes in my fathers loving arms in heaven.
ReplyDeletewhile reading each of these i found myself in tears for so many reasons. i am not a person who express feelings well, but you captured exactly how i have felt and feel now. you seriously blessed me. thank you for being so strong and writing this.
and yes, with Christ we have EVERYTHING.
I've been wanting to comment every post. What beauty in your vulnerability. I know God is using this. Thank you for sharing your heart. I was in tears with every post, because what you wrote is so universally true. There are so many trials in life and the only peace we'll find is in Christ. love you.
ReplyDeleteso encouraged by what you've shared. we have been trying for number two for 3 years now and through my own pain and discouragement of infertility can understand a little of your pain. thank you for opening up your heart and being real.
ReplyDeleteLove love love you friend. His will is good, pleasing, and perfect and He is continually working in us. (thanks for all the reminders)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! I love your honesty.
ReplyDeletethat song wrecks me.
ReplyDeleteand your story wrecks me.
and God is so crazy amazing.
and good thing i need a good cry.
though i've never miscarried, i can relate to your words.
words of brokeness.
forgiveness.
mercy. grace.
redemption.
jesus.
oh, olive oly. you are so beautiful.
so strong.
so courageous.
and you ARE leading others to him.
yes, you are.
i love you.
and will be praying for you.
Agree agree agree with everything above. You truly have a gift for writing. A bold, beautiful, honest and encouraging story you are living out. In all honesty, I am probably one of those girls you were irritated with. Four kids, stressed with all that I HAVE, and complaining more than I should. Not to mention guilt ridden occasionally that this portion of my life has been so "easy" while is not been so for others. But the funny thing is, I am in the exact same spot. My idol just looks different. Every word spoke to my heart as well. I had a lot of talks with Ryan and Jesus this week because of you. Thank you. I can't wait to see what God does, in your life and in mine. Love you girl!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad I found your blog. I Just read through a few of your posts and will read the rest. My husband and I have been dealing with infertility for the last 2 years and it has been beyond hard. It daily is a battle and has become such a huge part of our life. It has also changed my life and my relationship with my husband and will God and I know that he will continue to use it to draw me closer to him. BUT I am so ready for it to be over. It's hard to not feel alone in all of it and I love reading other's stories and encouragements so thank you for sharing yours.
ReplyDeletei've been struggling with anger, hurt, jealousy, resentment, resignation & confusion in regards my own infertility for the past 19 months.
ReplyDeleteat times so consumed by it that crying out to God was an afterthough.
just recently i've been coming to terms & trying SO HARD to get to where you are.
i'm not quite there, i pray to be soon, but stumbling across your blog today & reading these words literally has me in my seat with my mouth & heart finally open.
thank you <3
Hi Olive Oly! I'm Davi's little sister Lindsay. I loved reading your story and as someone who has walked some of the same path, I love seeing the way our God has been there for you. Its a beautiful reminder of His faithfullness. Thank you for sharing your heart and story!
ReplyDeletethat was amazing. I'm taking deep breaths over here, hurting so much for you, but also praising God to the very depths of my soul for what He has done in you and what He is still doing, and thanking Him for His awesome goodness. Truly truly, 'tis so sweet to trust in Jesus. And it's sweet to see you trusting in Him, no matter WHAT.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for writing this, so beautifully. I can't even tell you how much it meant to me to read this. I know every single woman who has been through the struggles of infertility will be so incredibly blessed to read it... and while that hasn't been my own struggle, I've gone through my own brokenness this past year, and reading this just breathed encouragement and truth right into my soul. oh, it is such a great God we serve! your journey shows that. Thank you for being a light!
you will be in my prayers often. <3