We started the morning at my fa-vo-rite little breakfast spot in Hollywood, The Griddle Cafe. We sat at our usual table and had our usual order: a buttermilk pancake the size of my head, bacon and eggs, orange juice, and medium French Press coffee. Please, please make a point to visit this place if you are ever in Los Angeles. It is straight-up breakfast heaven.
Next we headed to the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles. WE LOVE THIS PLACE. They have an amazing exhibit on dinosaurs and lots of interactive kiosks for kids to explore and play. My favorite part about this museum are the three halls on the various mammals of Africa and North America. We are studying mammals in science so it was fun getting an up close look at some of our favorites. In his journal last week, Swee'Pea wrote that if he could be any animal, he would be a rhinoceros because they have a sharp horn. So of course we had to get a shot in front of a rhino!
After a few hours at the museum, we headed next door to the California Science Center. Again, FREE! This museum reminds me of a little mix of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C., Sea World, and a children's museum. There are some cool exhibits on space, and the space shuttle Endeavour is making its way there as we speak! They have cool rooms that show the climate and animal life of different regions of California and the West Coast, as well as a neat aquarium and exhibit on Kelp Life. We got to see two divers feeding the fish. So fun! They even have a play room for toddlers and little kids, which Swee'Pea loved. It also gave me a good chance to charge my phone (hey, I made a donation! I can borrow a little electricity!).
When we were done, we headed across the street to visit USC. I am not ashamed to say that I got a little teary eyed and text messaged Popeye to tell him I really missed college and wanted to go back. It is a beautiful campus and kids were riding their bikes and sipping coffee and laughing and studying. I am a nerd. I loved college. I loved learning new things. I would love to go back someday and get another degree. I would love if Swee'Pea could go to an amazing university like this someday. But for now he will have to settle on a scoop of ice cream and a picture with Tommy Trojan.

![]() |
| Oh, you know. Just sitting in traffic, listening to the game, and drinking the most delicious lemonade ever. |
Here's the deal. I came to this Ikea specifically because they showed on their website that they had a certain item in stock. I circled the market place and the display floor. Twice. I asked multiple associates. Their computers showed they had it in stock. But he confirmed that they did not. Swee'Pea was desperate to leave. He was exhausted. "Can we just go to our home? I just want my home!" He didn't cry. But he certainly was not happy. (see picture below. his face the entire time. true story.) I told him he could pick out something because he had been a good boy all day and I appreciated his patience. He picked out a 99 cent green frame. "I can put a picture of me and Henry in it. And take it with me when I go on vacation." I die. Anyway. We left without the item I came in for. Obviously. I shake my fist at you, Ikea! I shake my fist!
As soon as we got in the car Swee'Pea put on his jammies and tried to go back to sleep. I made one last stop for gas and the largest coffee I could find and headed home.
We got home around 10 pm and Swee'Pea collapsed into bed. I looked through our pictures and felt grateful for a really, really great day. I love that Swee'Pea is willing to be adventurous with me. I love how easy he is to take along anywhere I want to go. I love how much I enjoy his company. I love, love, love being a mom to this little boy!

















I loved loved loved this post! We were at idea today and I think Hudson had that same face :( I tried griddle cafe this year...oh my gosh is all I have to say :) you are such a great mom and I love seeing all the pics of sweet pea and you! Love you friend! Oh and I totally want to go back to college with you!! Starbucks study dates?!
ReplyDeleteI meant Ikea on my previous post...darn auto-correct!
ReplyDeleteyou look really pretty.
ReplyDeletei'm glad your pictures are bigger.
another degree?????
ikea is just rude. angryfists!
hahah thanks.
Deleteand yes, i think i could be a professional college student. no job in particular i want. but there are about a million things i'd love to study. :)
christie. i like the lemonade drink cup.
ReplyDelete