Monday, June 18, 2012

Homeschool. Week two.

We had another great week of homeschooling!  This week was a little harder for me.  Not because of anything Swee'Pea was doing, but because I somehow ended up with a double ear infection, a sinus infection, and some  problems with asthma.  LAME.  I have been super tired and achy and feeling overall grouchy and blech.  One day was so bad I actually had to skip schooling because I was just downright miserable.  But every day Swee'Pea would ask me repeatedly when it was going to be time for homeschool, and his excitement helped encourage me that this is exactly what I should be doing!  He easily picked up MY slack and was able to absorb his missed day of work into two of the other days with no complaint.  What a trooper!

To start off the week, we did a little student-led learning.  This is exactly the kind of thing that makes me adore homeschooling so much.  We talked so much about creation last week and about all the animals God created.  For some reason, Swee'Pea was super stuck on the caterpillar (which he has been for months actually, it is kind of funny the things he finds so interesting).  We decided to do some investigating on caterpillars, and learned all about how their black and yellow stripes help protect them from predators.  Which then led to a discussion on camouflage and predators and what kinds of things eat other things.  I had some egg cartons lying around, so we decided to cut them them up and make our very own caterpillars.  What fun!  I can very rarely go on on learning tangents like this in my own classroom, but I will say this type of student-led learning always seems to be the most valuable.  Kids just feed on information on topics they enjoy!
D.K. Eyewitness First Encyclopedia of Animals
A "CATAPatillar" as Swee'Pea would refer to it.
In phonics this week we focused on the consonant sounds of B, C, D, F, and G.

We started his written phonics workbook this week.  He loves it!  We worked on the short A sound (review from last week) and the "T" ending.  I like this book because there are quick successes early on which totally builds his confidence!  He is so proud to read basic sentences like "The rat sat on the cat."   I won't lie, it gives me goosebumps seeing him get so excited over learning!
This week for reading he read the Bob Books "Dot" and "Mac."  You can see how hilarious he thinks these books are.  He is not faking this face.  Weirdo.  
 

 In math he continued working on colors, shapes, and time.  He is now practicing writing up to 4, and I still have him counting to 100 every day.  On Friday we learned how to count and write tally marks!


In Bible this week we talked about God's creation of Adam and Eve, the Garden of Eden, and the eventual sin of man.  We have lots of precious conversations during this time together.  I know he doesn't totally get it yet, but I am so glad we are laying this foundation for him to build on year after year!
Demonstrating how God created Adam from the dust.
Weekly Bible verse, John 14:15.
We also started practicing flash cards of the words we are working on in his phonics book, as well as his sight words.  This weeks sight words were: the, and, in, is.

Posted by his desk for extra practice.
And just because he has had a great two weeks of obeying and working so hard at school, he was treated to a new Lego book and a Lego monster truck.  Call it mom's version of a school treasure chest!


What a great week we had, and we are already looking forward to next week's school.

*p.s. I hate Blogger and do not understand the reason why my spacing in my post is never the same as the spacing I see on my draft page.  Any answers for that one people???  I keep trying to fix it with no solution.  So frustrating.

3 comments:

  1. i just LOVED this post!

    swee'pea blows me away with his intelligence. you are doing GREAT!

    spacing in blogger has a mind of it's own. i don't get it. i think it just has some bugs that need to be worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am simultaneously inspired and overwhelmed with homeschooling while reading this! i cannot believe he is already reading and writing so well! seriously, awesome! i LOVE that you posted your whole curriculum and everything you are doing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, my four year old made one of those caterpillers and we just loved it. I came home one day and my dog had eaten it. I was devistated. Charlie (the dog) pooped green for two days. I'm still sad about it. Do you have the directions so maybe Codi and I could make another one?

    ReplyDelete