I've not commented or even read a blog in what seems like months, and sadly feel like I've missed out on huge chunks of so many of your lives. On of my biggest New Year's Resolutions (are we supposed to share those? Or are they like birthday wishes... if you let them part your lips, are they as good as void??) is to make a purposeful and heartfelt effort to invest in people more. I've spent the past six months really investing in my students and in my sanity (it is still intact... but just barely...) and I realize how lonely and haggard I've become. I miss connections with people taller than 4'9"... I miss conversations with women about motherhood and Jesus and traveling and good food... I miss coffee dates and hugs and laughter that is genuine and from the heart.
2011 is a year I plan to really embrace the fact that even though my life is scattered and hectic and sometimes a handful, that doesn't mean I have to sacrifice friendships and connections that I so desperately want, need, and miss. 2010 kind of kicked my butt... but 2011 is going to be quite fabulous, I'm just sure of it.
To catch you up, here is a quick review of what we've been up to...
Swee'Pea grew up before my very eyes. He knows all his colors. He tells me about the weather and the seasons. He has favorite friends and TV shows and foods. And he is incredibly hilarious and witty and precious all at the same time.
Swee'Pea became bosom buddies with our neighbor across the street. She may be four years older than him, but they laugh and play and cruise around the streets like two peas in a pod. There may or may not be secret marriage plans in the works as we speak.
Swee'Pea spent countless hours playing with cousin Henry. This past summer started something even more special between these two as they formed a bond that I didn't realize could exist between two little people. Every time I see them together my heart is full of joy. I sing God's praises at his perfect planning... I could not have hoped, prayed, or wished for a dearer friend for my little one.
We went to Legoland and thus our obsession with all things Duplo was born.
I "wogged" the Disneyland Half Marathon with my mom. We may not have been fast, but we made it to the finish before they stopped the clock and we received our medals. It was hot. It was long. It was painful. But it was worth it.
Somebody turned three and I died a little on the inside watching him turn instantly from my baby to a real boy. We had a Dinosaur party, per his request. It was filled with cupcakes and cookies and laughter and friends. I praised God once again for his providence in blessing me with this precious ginormous family, more amazing than I could have ever dreamed.
Popeye and I went to our first country concert together. And Carrie was even more fabulously beautiful on stage than I could ever have imagined.
We spent a blissfully wonderful Saturday at the LA Zoo, Train Town, and the Santa Monica beach and pier. Perfection.
I attempted (and failed greatly) at keeping Swee'Pea on a gluten/dairy/egg/soy free diet. Crash and burn people. Crash and burn.
I took the occasional moment to enjoy a day off with good food, great wine, and lots of laughter.
I fell deeper in love with my ridiculously patient, supportive, handsome, loving husband.
Swee'Pea became increasingly obsessed with dressing up. Favorites are train conductor, police man, pirate, doctor, and firefighter.
We went on our annual pumpkin picking trip with the who fam. We took 10 kids. We held our breath. No one cried. It was spooky.
Swee'Pea dress up like a "real cowboy" for Halloween. He preferred passing out candy to actually trick or treating. He also prefers to sleep in his leather chaps and vest each night to wearing actual pajamas, but we are working on that...
We enjoyed a fall day full of apple picking in Tehachapi.
Swee'Pea became even more ridiculously obsessed with his daddy. I try not to take it personally. I'm quite sure he prefers him because he offers pony rides and Pop Tarts on demand and I instead force horrid things like teeth brushing and plates of vegetables.
We went to Disneyland. A lot. And every time we go back it gets even more magical.
We enjoyed our annual candy making date with Grandma and Great Grandma. Enjoying as in mommy made the candy, and Swee'Pea ate it.
We had a chat with Santa. It was darling and perfect and I couldn't believe how excited Swee'Pea was. This Christmas season is so magical for us this year... from our daily chats about Jesus' birthday to eating chocolate every morning from the Advent Calender, I am adoring just how beautiful Christmas is through a child's eyes.
Each and every day with this little family of mine is a reminder of God's love... His perfect planning... His grace. And as I weed my way out of the haze of a hectic but sweet season, I'm looking forward to updating you all more on the going ons in our lives, as well as keeping updated on the sweetness of all of you.






























Welcome back friend. Can we please schedule a coffee date for next week?
ReplyDeleteYes, please. Because I miss your awesome face and beautiful hair. :)
ReplyDeleteI loved reading that! So fun to have you back.
ReplyDeleteno wonder i missed you! 5 months is just too long. you hear that, olive oyl? TOO LONG! let's not let that happen again, mmkay?
ReplyDeleteand p.s. loved your update. you have the best smile. & your son is too cute for words.
Welcome back! :)
ReplyDeleteWelcome back. It's hard to find that perfect balance, but sounds like you're figuring out what's perfect for you. That was a great update with all the important stuff! I've missed you! Also, aren't neighborhood friends the best? I'm so thankful for kids around Aubrey's age on our street.
ReplyDeleteIt's great to hear how you guys are doing. Sounds like it's been a busy and full year. Can't wait to "see" you more in the bloggy world. Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteI'm thrilled to see your update. It's been a crazy year and blogging seems to fall by the wayside.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to see you found solice in a post to update all of the friends and family you may not get to see but miss dearly.
I love you, your man and your precious little Swee' Pea!
i was so excited to see your post! it was like getting a treat:) sorry I meant to comment sooner.
ReplyDeleteSweet Pea is as precious as ever.
Don't feel bad about bombing on his diet. A diet without eggs is a very difficult diet. I feel Ollie's diet is very involved... and is diet includes eggs! Just do the best you can. it's probably way better than nothing!
So Popeye's updates got delivered to my Google Reader, and I must say I am glad they did. So hilarious! ;)
ReplyDelete