It all started on January 1st, when I woke up ready to conquer the world and a few measly holiday pounds. I threw on my iPod, stuck the kid in the stroller, and we were off for a 30-minute walk/jog around the neighborhood.
But like everything I do, I must do it 110%. So a few minutes of jogging turned into a a 30+ mile a week habit. My cheap old cross-trainers were replaced with specifically ordered stability running shoes, and my closet became filled with wicking shirts and Body Glide and GPS watches and water belts galore.
You can say I have a slight obsession with all things running at the moment.
And so on March 21st, after 2 1/2 months of training, I stood at the starting line of my first 1/2 marathon ready to roll.
It was 6:30am.
It was 33 degrees.
Oh, and did I mention... I had a broken pelvis?
It was an adventure to say the least... a wild (and blindingly painful) run through the gorgeous wine country of the Central Coast. But when it was all said and done and I'd limped across the finish line, I felt a sense of accomplishment and victory that I hadn't felt in years. I'd conquered a feat I never thought possible. I'd battled my own fears, insecurities, pains, doubts, and moments of sheer terror... and I'd done it all without worry or concern for what others around me were doing or thinking. My body and my brain were my only competition on that cold March morning, and neither could keep me from crossing that finish line. And even as I limped across the finish line and thanked God for the miracle that was my first race, I secretly smiled to myself and felt giddy at the thought that crossed my mind...
"...Oh, I seriously cannot WAIT to do this again!"
My mom and her friend Candy taking off in the 5k race... my mom's first!
At the finish line... words cannot express HOW PROUD I am of my mom! (Her and I are doing the Disneyland Half Marathon in September together!)
One of my best friends, Ashley, helped run me in. She finished a whole hour ahead of me (she is all kinds of awesome...) and she came all the way back to encourage me as I came in. See that smile on my face? Yeah... that was only for the camera... NOT feeling good at this point in the race!
The real deal... deliriously happy and so stoked that I just ran my first race!
The look of disgust... I just tortured myself with 13.1 miles and all I got was this stinking WINE GLASS!? (They could have done me a favor and filled it with a nice Cab... I'm just saying!"
Hollah! I just ran a half-marathon! Now someone go find me a wheel chair!
With Ashley and my cousin Christine (who also ran her first 5k that morning!). These ladies are awesome!
With my future sister-in-law... my brother proposed the day before the race and they came out to support us!
Stay tuned for another race story in a few weeks... I run my first full marathon in just TWO WEEKS down in San Diego! 26.2 miles... here I come!!!













I was just wondering if you were still running the full! How is your pelvis?? be careful! Oh and I totally loved getting to run with you!! I havent ran much lately and I totally miss it! We need to phone chat soon :) Love you!
ReplyDeleteAmazing job! Dare I say....you are a bit cold in some of these shots...
ReplyDeleteAmazing. I don't know how you did that. I can barely walk around my neighborhood. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat? How in the heck did you run a half marathon with a broken pelvis? How is that even possible? OUCH!
ReplyDeleteYeah! So proud of you! And I second Toni's comment. :)
ReplyDeleteI am SO stinkin proud of you! I have been running for three months now and I can not go more than 3 miles =( Seriously awesome friend!
ReplyDelete