Monday, April 6, 2009

How does your garden grow...


IMG_0983IMG_0986
IMG_0414
IMG_0424
IMG_0422
IMG_0448
IMG_0988
IMG_1002
IMG_1019
IMG_1026
IMG_0575
IMG_0577
IMG_0470
IMG_0602
IMG_0591
IMG_0596
IMG_0658
IMG_0630
IMG_0711
IMG_0648
IMG_0967
IMG_0435
IMG_0447
IMG_1145
IMG_1160
IMG_1147
IMG_1139
IMG_1164
IMG_1131
IMG_1128
IMG_1129
IMG_1134
IMG_1142
IMG_1149
IMG_1155
IMG_1133
IMG_1017

After three weeks of hard labor, several late-night sprinkler installation sessions, twenty-six trips to gardening stores and nurseries, three busted water lines, two truckloads of waste to the dump, one piece of heavy equipment, thirty-eight veggie plants and herbs, some seed packets, two flats of flowers, a couple of citrus trees, ten boysenberry shoots, ten bags of soil amendment and mulch, four large pots, hundreds of feet of drip line, some breaks for fruit and fresh berries and play time with the boy, some run-ins with some freakishly huge frogs, and one gigantor load of muddy laundry, I am proud to say that...

Our garden is finally in!

It has been a major labor of love for my husband to spend so much time out in the yard gardening with me.  We have bonded and laughed over bugs and worms, mulch and manure.  Every day that I spend in my garden, I am thankful for the place he helped me to create.  Every day that I am out in my garden, I am fully aware of God's glory and creation as I witness beauty grow from seeds literally the size of a pin.

As much as I know I'll enjoy the bounty we will enjoy come summer, I'm thoroughly enjoying the process of building and creating the garden as well.

More pictures to come, but for now, check out what we planted!

Left flower bed:
Orange tree 
Dwarf Bearss lime tree
Dwarf Meyer lemon tree

Middle flower bed:
Ancho Chili peppers x2
Yellow Chili pepper
Sweet Basil x2
Jalapeno
Serrano
Cilantro x2
Jack-O-Lantern pumpkins (2 mounds)

Right flower bed:
Mr. Stripy tomato
Park's Whopper tomato
Better Boy tomato
Early Girl tomato
Pink Brandywine tomato
Husky Red Cherry tomato
Anaheim pepper
Fresno Chili pepper
Sweet Banana pepper x2
Serrano pepper
Red sweet onions (3 mounds... about 15 onions)
Black Beauty zucchini (5 mounds... about 15 plants)
Scarlett Nantes carrots (three rows)

Kitchen window flower bed:
Mexibell peppers
Fajita bell peppers
Bonnie Green peppers
Sweet Red peppers x2
Yellow peppers
Orange peppers
Yellow straight neck squash (3 mounds... about 9 plants)
Red sweet onions (2 mounds... about 10 onions)
Scarlett Nantes carrots
Sweet basil x4
Lemon herb
Lemon thyme
Mint
Rosemary

Patio:
Container cherry tomatoes x2

*Note: I have literally been trying to post this for THREE WEEKS.  Blogger is making me SO MAD.  So these pictures don't even do justice how amazing the garden looks now.  There is still much to do... plant some more berries, get ground cover and bark, finish planting my flat of Alysum and some Wax Begonias... but overall, my plants are growing like crazy and I even have two tiny tomatoes and a green pepper on one of my sweet pepper plants!  So exciting!

11 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post. This is exactly what I needed today. There is a snow storm here today and I've had a long day as a result. This cheered me up and made me feel hopeful again! So thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you don't mess around!! For some reason your blog doesn't come up on my reader, and it doesn't do the following thing... but i finally got over here, and you're ALL OVER IT!!!!!

    I've NEVER had that many square feet under cultivation before, I'm REALLY looking forward to watching it all grow and take your home hostage by July!! (thinking little shop of horrors... feed me seymore) :-)

    I love it!! and love you!!
    xox
    cnc

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps... good on ya, doing the tags. I always forget, or remember and then think "i'll remember which tomato this is" and then i DON'T remember.

    So, that's an organized teacher for ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to be cooking up a storm with all of your fresh produce this summer. I can't wait for new installments of savory saturdays with all of your special ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive. I could never do all this... nor could I keep it all live! Can't wait to see when you start getting some produce out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am so stinkin impressed it is not even funny!

    sam looks so adorable out there, helping daddy.

    i wish i had the motivation to tackle even a little garden...just so the boys could learn. they would love it. i keep thinking "when the kids are older and i have more time". well, you don't have tons of time and you pulled it off, so enough excuses for me, right?

    you went ALL OUT! kind of makes it more fun that way. i'm kind of the all or none type.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, now THAT is a garden! Are you going to share your abundance with your blog readers? ;) You'd come to Shafter to deliver these, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!! It IS a lot of work, isn't it?! What a great hubby you have! And your photos are absolutely GORGEOUS! What a fabulous garden!!

    I'm afraid my time in the garden has been a little like your trouble with Blogger. It is coming along VERY slowly. But a post will be up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden looks amazing!! Are you going to be peddling your produce at farmer's market?? Looks like you'll have lots. =) We are planning a garden also, though not as extensive as yours. Of course, it's STILL too early to plant here in the heartland. Still getting to the 20's at night!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden and your ambition is amazing. I'm not sure where you find your energy.

    Swee' Pea looks so cute helping Daddy in your photos. I'll have to dig out the photos of you helping your dad plant our yard at about this same age. You had the same overheated dirty spaced out face look as Swee Pea in one of them.

    It's obvious Swee-Pea has seen the "Garden Tour" a few times as he pointed out each little thing to me today in his own little 18 month old language.

    Just thing of the grocery money you'll have left in your envelopes come summer time when your abundant crop comes in! You'll be eating healthy and saving money at the same time.

    There's nothing like delicious home grown veggies on your plate to say I love you!

    ReplyDelete