Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Envelope System: March Review...

Month three of our Dave Ramsey plan to financial freedom has come and gone.  In the past two months, I have posted ideas and suggestions on ways that we save money in our house... but to be honest, this month has been kinda difficult with this whole plan, and I just need to work out some of the feelings I have been having with it.  Because seriously... this plan is not always easy to follow.

Sometimes it is hard.  
There are times when I just want to go out to eat for lunch.  Or I really want to join some girlfriends for a day out of town or a dinner and a movie.  There are times when Popeye is out of lunch money by the end of the month and he is completely desperate for some fast food and a respite from PB&J and Famous Amos cookies day in and day out.  But I have to keep the end in sight.  I have to concentrate not on the the fun or things that I am missing out on now, but on the freedom we will have in a few years once we are free of this debt.  But I can't lie.  It. is. hard.

Sometimes I cheat.  Toward the end of this past month, we were just simply out of grocery money.  Even with my Vons gift cards from prescription transfers, we had spent too much.  I blame this mostly on my increasing hunger, and the fact that we make every single meal homemade.  No more eating out, no more just eating cereal for dinner.  We are really trying to be healthier and eat more well-rounded meals in this house.  That means more veggies, more whole grains, and much, much more fruit.  When it came to the last few days of the month, and I had already started putting some money aside for next month's envelopes, I had to cheat and "borrow" some money from April's grocery fund.  I don't suggest this.  That just means that April will be short money... which means I will most likely borrow from May... and will then have to borrow from June... and so on and so forth.  I try never to do this in any other category... but with food, you can't just say, "Sorry hubby and child... no food for you this week!"  Even though we couldn't stick within our budget for groceries this month and I had to cheat and take from the next month, I make a point to not just pretend like that money didn't come from no where.  I still mark down that we spent allocated grocery money from a grocery envelope.  Every dollar is still accounted for.  

Sometimes it is humbling.  We can't just go out of town on a whim anymore.  We can't participate in all family activities that we'd like to.  We can't just run to Target when something new and cool comes out or is on sale.  We have to admit to people that we just don't have certain things in our budget, and we have to sometimes bear the guilt of not being able to participate or the frustration of watching others participate when we can't.  It is hard to admit that we can't afford things sometimes... or that no, we can't work certain things into our budgets... or that yes, a lot of things that we do are a sacrifice that are planned out and saved for, often many months in advance.  Every dollar is accounted for.  Every penny saved.

Sometimes it is revealing.  After our anniversary dinner this past month, Popeye and I went to Target to check out some workout stuff we are interested in and browse through the summer patio furniture.  We found a little couch and table set we are interested in for the back patio.  We have wanted a set like this for three years, and just never have found one that is comfy, not hideous, and within our price range.  Of course, in the midst of Dave Ramsey, we find a set we love.  As we sat in the squishy chairs relaxing after our ginormous delicious BBQ dinner, Popeye sighed and said, "If this was last year, we would have just bought this even if we didn't have money, wouldn't we?"  I just sighed and said, "Yup."  We had no problem whipping out the credit card before to justify purchases, knowing that it would "only" take us a few months to pay it off.  It was kind of shocking to realize how much we depended on our credit card before, and how easy it used to be for us to just buy stuff on a whim if we really liked it.  

Sometimes it hurts.  It hurts to not be able to join our family and friends on outings.  It hurts to write that extra big check for our debt snowball every month.  It hurts to have to say "no" to so many things that we want to say "yes" to.  It hurts to know that we still have so many more things we need to cut back on, especially as the summer comes and the cost of electricity and water and such begins to rise.  It hurts to know that only a few months have passed since we started this whole thing, and we still have more than two years to go before our debt snowball is done.  Yeah... it kinda hurts.  

Sometimes it down right stinks.  This past month was hard, I'm not going to lie.  We were excited when Popeye graduated from academy back in January and officially became a Deputy Sheriff.  But with his graduation came the duty of paying much of his paycheck into retirement.  I know that this is going to be awesome in 30 years when Popeye retires and we have no income coming in other than retirement... but right now, it just plain stinks.  In fact, I'll say it.  It sucks.  I am so thankful that Popeye and I both even have jobs with this insane economy.  And I'm so thankful that we are being diligent about putting away generous amounts of money into his retirement.  But between this debt-free plan and our focus on being faithful with tithing (even when it hurts!) the past few months have been frustrating.  We have cut from every place we can think of... and the hardest part is that the true cuts have realistically not begun.  We still have a home.  We still eat good food.  We still use two-ply toilet paper.  And quite frankly, all those things seem like luxuries when I realize how many people are going without right now.

Okay.  So there it is.  We are still chugging along... and trying to be positive... and working our way along with our little envelopes-o-cash.  For those out there who are working on this system, I want to encourage you to hang in there!  For those who are thinking about it, I want to encourage you to try it, even if you just work on reducing a specific debt or cutting out your costs in one area.  It is tough... but I know that in the end it will be so very worth it!

6 comments:

  1. oh olive oyl. march was tough. i was craving fruit at the end of the month and we had $7 left for milk, eggs and fruit. we bought milk, eggs, 3 apples , 2 pears and 2 banans. and those were the best apples we ever tasted!

    keep up the good work. you are still so far ahead of the game for such youngsters:)

    i also found the patio set of my dreams at home depot the other day. i understand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine how hard this must be for you and how tough it is to say no - especially to family and friends, but I want you to know how much I look up to you for taking control of such a hard area. I love that every dollar is accounted for. You are setting a great example for your little guy that is teaching him more than you realize. And you are setting a good example for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep your chin up kiddo. Just remember that you're living like nobody else today so you can live like nobody else in a few years.

    I know sometimes you want to throw it all in and just indulge "This one time" and you and Popoye are being so strong. We're so proud of you!

    Eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive but it always seems to turn out that way by the end of the month.

    You should convince your mom to have you over for dinner more often. That would help out the grocery budget and would probably make her happy too! ;-)

    Hang in there and when you're feeling down, look back at what you've already paid off in such a short time. It won't be as entertaining as a night out with the girls, but it will leave you feeling good for a lot longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I understand! We have not exactly done the Dave Ramsey system, but it sounds a lot like it. Ryan is crazy about not wanting to have ANY debt, but we most definitely do =) We are always on that sort of system. On a positive note ... you will start making a lot of "someday lists" and you will actually get kinda used to it =) After awhile you start to just think of yourself as poor and it gets easier to tell people you can not participate in a lot of things. You can come hang out with me and Peyton this summer ... we do a lot of free things! =) I am proud of you guys, but more importantely ... five years from now YOU will feel so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is REALLY hard for me to not let myself indulge and make those "just this once" purchases. You have inspired me to try a modified Dave Ramsey program (although I haven't read his book)...I keep meaning to blog about it, but I'm a bad blogger these days. So, thanks for that! Just think about the good habits you are getting into, and all of the cool stuff you will get to do later in life because you aren't swimming in debt. Hard, I know...

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just completed FPU and we are so on fire. I can 100% relate to everything you wrote, though. It isn't easy in any way, but as you already know, the peace of living within our means is so worth it, and ultimately being out of debt and able to really prosper is an exciting thing for sure!

    ReplyDelete