I've recently become increasingly interested with the idea of living in a more whole and natural way. I'm learning to make more foods from scratch (breads, pastas, etc.) rather than purchasing them processed, and have taken up gardening as you all have seen by posts over the past few weeks. Part of this desire comes from how much healthier I feel when I eat foods that are more natural and less processed... part of it comes from the challenge and pleasure I get from creating and growing foods by hand... and part of it comes from the fact that I've been doing more research on processed foods and how certain additives and hormones affect my health and the health of our family.
One of the things I've been most fascinated by in recent months is the thought of being able to produce my own eggs. There is a feed shop close to my house that I pass by several times a week, and they always have a sign out front that says "Chicks for Sale." Oh, how badly I want to stop and pick up a few baby chicks... to bring them home and nurture them... to protect them and provide a home for them... to raise them to be nice fat chickies that will produce dozens and dozens of eggs for my family and friends.
I've been begging... BEGGING Popeye to let me get chickens, but he is firm that there is NO WAY we are having chickens in our backyard. He was all for the garden, and even spent countless hours helping me renovate the backyard to get it in. He is supportive of my baking, and eats piece after piece and scoop after scoop of my homemade breads and jellies. But chickens??? No. Absolutely not. There is NO way he'll go there.
Even one of my best friends, Toni, says she'll REPORT ME to the feds if I have chickens in my backyard.
So what's a girl with a heart for wee chicks to do?!
The solution, my friends, is this:
The eglu.The eglu is a chic shack for lovable city birds. The hip structure comes complete with a hen house with roosts for ten birds, an enclosed fox run which protects the birds from roaming predators, and two wheels which help the poultry palace to be moved around the yard with ease. Its colorful, its cool, and its oh-so-necessary for those chic city chicks.
Hell-o. How could Popeye NOT want me to get chickens after seeing a picture of this cushy condo?! I had the website all ready to show him as soon as he got home from work a few days ago. I waited with anticipation for him to come home, just KNOWING that he would agree to let me get some chicks after seeing the sweet crib we could get for our baby birdies.
But even a cute birdie coop can't convince my law-abiding husband to let me keep chicks in our cityfied back yard.
Alas, dear birdies, your welcome into our family will have to wait until we live on larger (and more rural) pastures. And until then, I'll be happily content to dine on these bright beauties I purchased from a farming family in my hometown of Shafter. Aren't they just the CUTEST things you've ever seen?!





I do love reading your blog.. I have even made some of your wonderful dishes you have put up.... This last post about your "Chic's" cracked me up. Living in Idaho we are all about having chickens in our backyard.... WAIT!!! let me rephrase that "my husband" is all about having chickens in our backyard - along with my parents "who have 2" and my sister who has 2. I seem to be the only one not completely on board... I have to admit - the eggs are wonderful, but those little creatures themselves........... can stay in someone else's backyard for now ;) I admire your attempt though ;)
ReplyDeleteoh and your garden looks wonderful.
Dont you just LOVE the eggs?! They are so yummy. I am all for chickens if you live in the country but I am just thinking of your neighbors well-being. Chicken poop stinks. And I dont want one of my friends to be the 'crazy chicken lady' that neighborhood children are afraid of.
ReplyDeleteIf you want to have farm animals in the city, why stop at chickens? I'd like to see you put a cow in your backyard. Think of all the cheese you could eat with your own personal cow right there.
ReplyDeleteI would definitely report you. I hate it when my neighbors have a freaking little bird squawking all day long... let alone 10 chickens. I can't imagine that after the Eglu, the food, the maintenance and FREAKING CLEANING CHICKEN POOP it would even be worth it to have chickens???
ReplyDeleteYou're weird. (I mean that in the nicest way possible, Cousin.) :-)
I think in TO you can have up to four chickens with your immediate neighbors permission.
ReplyDeleteAlso we used to have chickens and they really aren't loud. It's the roosters that make all the noise.
LOL! We had chickens when I was a kid and I loved them, but I did not do any of the work either. Don't you hate it when hubbies just don't get how important and great their wives crazy ideas are?!
ReplyDeleteOh please do not show my husband the eglu... He is all about having chickens in our backyard. He sees the same sign about the available chicks at the feed store and says "oh look chicks! They are so cute" almost every time we pass it. Either that.. or he begs me to go with him to pet the pygmy goats. Which he also wants to have in our backyard.. LOL
ReplyDeleteYou are hilarious!!! I hear you on the whole feeling good about making healthy food choices. But it's the horrific air quality and pollutants we breath living in this town that gets me much more concerned about my family's health... much more than processed pasta. We should move to Montana. That way you can start a farm and I can breath clean air!
ReplyDeleteI must say one of my favorite things to do as a kid was collect eggs. My parents had chickens when I was really little and my Aunt had chickens. My cousin and I would fight over who got to go in and get the eggs. :)
ReplyDeleteYou do know that if you get an eglu, you will NEVER live it down, right?! If my husband makes fun of you, do I still get yummy eggs?
ReplyDeleteI won't think you've gone off the deep end until you're wringing the chicken's neck, plucking it's feathers, and boiling it up for dinner. That's where I draw the line! :)
if you get that little "oh so chic" and "natural" shack for chickens, i will report you to PETA!!! that looks horrible for the little guys! just get the eggs from the bloemhofs crazy lady... i'm in philadelphia right now, you want me to bring home some natural amish cheese and milk? i love the amish :)
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain, Olive! I think the eglu is AWESOME... and you can move it around the yard, so they have new and delightful bugs to eat... and... and... and... alas, popeye's right. :-(
ReplyDeleteTWO chickens, no roosters, let the egg-layin' begin!!!
xox
cnc