Friday, March 13, 2009

Pink Friday...

Today is a hard day.  Not because of anything going on at home... or with Swee'Pea... or with Popeye.  Mostly because of the heartbreak I am experiencing due to what is going on in our country and our state.

Today is Pink Friday.

Now, I don't normally get political on this blog.  Quite frankly, I don't think I have ever been political on this blog.  But due to today's events, my heart has just been heavy with the need to share what has been on my mind of late.

For those of you who either A) don't live in California, or B) haven't listened, read, or watched the news in the past few weeks, Pink Friday is the official day when teachers across the state will be receiving layoff notices due to the insane budget cuts congress recently passed.  The budget, which was passed on February 19th, included $11.6 billion in cuts to K-12 schools.  

These cuts are the equivalent of: 
Shutting down every school across the state for 40 days, or
Increasing class sizes statewide by 55%, or
Reducing per-student spending by nearly $2,000, or
Laying off 290,000 bus drivers, janitors, food service workers, maintenance workers, and other education support professionals, or
Laying off more than 165,000 teachers, or
Cutting more than $49,000 per classroom, or
Cutting nearly $19.7 million per school district (assuming 10,000 students in the school), or
Eliminating all music, art and career technical education programs statewide with room to cut even more.

While I let those numbers sink in, let me remind you that California already ranks 47th in the nation in per-pupil spending.  We also rank as one of the lowest states in the country for student test scores.

And the hope for improvement just gets more dismal with the newest financial plan laid out by our state legislators.

But what does this mean for schools locally?  How does this break down by district?  For space sake, I am going to list the impact of just a few districts here.  I am most interested in these numbers because they include the district I work for, as well as the district that many children from my family and my church do/will attend:

Kern High School District pink-slipped 85 first and second year teachers and counselors, and must shave off $22 million dollars for its budget in the next year.  They are also considering cutting frosh/soph sports and reducing $1.4 million dollars by cutting library services.

Rosedale School District pink-slipped 32 teachers, and is most likely increasing class sizes for K-3.  They plan on negotiating reduced teacher salaries and benefits, as well as the elimination of music and choir in all elementary schools.

Panama-Buena Vista Union School District pink-slipped 77 teachers, and must reduce their budget by well over $20 million dollars over the next two years.  They plan on making $2.9 million dollars in cuts to field trips, maintenance, extra-duty pay, bus transportation, recess aides, classroom aides, and by increasing class sizes.  They have also canceled all 8th-grade graduation ceremonies.

Is anyone else as scared as I am about the future of education in our state?

I have gotten several mailings from the California Teacher's Association, encouraging me to wear pink today as a way to support their cause and to show my outrage at these budget cuts and pink slips.  I have been given listings of rallies and meetings I can go to in order to show my support for the CTA and for what they are fighting for.

Now let me be absolutely clear.  I will not be wearing pink today because I stand behind the CTA.  I disagree with much of what the CTA represents.  Yes, I appreciate the way they support fair pay and benefits for teachers, and encourage teachers to further their educations and learn new and valuable techniques for the classroom.  But I disagree with the fact that they used millions... millions of my union dues to support political candidates and causes that I morally am against.  I am flabbergasted that they can support political candidates who blame all of the countries educational problems on teachers rather than the lack of parental support, funds, adequate materials, language barriers, and poor student participation and behavior.  I am outraged that a union that represents teachers and education donates money to causes that have nothing to do with schools or the well-being of our students.

Today, I will not wear pink because I support the CTA.  I will not wear pink to show that I agree with what they stand for.  I will not wear pink because I am an uneducated teacher who just does what the pamphlets in the mail tell me to.

But yes, today I will wear pink.  

I will wear pink...
For my best friend who has been teaching for three years and will lose her job because of these budget cuts.
For my co-workers who spend countless hours coaching, prepping, training, tutoring, and loving on kids who no one else wants to, but will find themselves without a job next year.
For my friends who cannot work full-time next year and are stuck in a part-time position due to budget restrictions.

I will wear pink...
For the 8,800 teachers of the LA Unified School District who are losing their jobs today.
For the music, PE, health, and band teachers who will see their programs shut down.  
For the countless men and women who dedicated their lives to the youth of American and who now will go without jobs when they are so desperately needed.

I will wear pink...
For my students who will now have to sit in cramped classes of 42 students.
For my nieces and nephews who may never have the thrill of playing on a 4th-grade flag football team, visiting the zoo or aquarium with their classmates, or performing in their first band or choir performance in a elementary school cafeteria.
For the students who will be bullied and teased on the playground simply because their aren't enough eyes or hands to watch out for them during recess.

Today I will wear pink. 
 
For the future of our children.
For the heartache of our teachers.
For the hope I have that someday, somewhere, there is a politician brave enough to battle this budget crisis in a way that does not hurt our children in the one place we are really supposed to keep them safe.

Today I will wear pink.  

12 comments:

  1. Wow that was so perfectly written. I understand and agree with every last word. I have some dear friends who are losing their jobs ... and are desperately hoping to get them back for next year.

    On the flip side, I am afraid for the education that will be available for my child in just a few years. And for the children of my friends, and the next generation of people leading this country =(

    It is a very sad situation and all we can do is make educated votes when it is time, and PRAY! I know God is teaching us a lesson here, I hope we learn it and move forward in the right direction soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Olive Oyl! My mom told me a bit about what was going on in California with the budget and it blows my mind that they supported a candidate who is now pretty much bad mouthing teachers and slashing education dollars. It's a shame and doesn't make sense to me. I'm seeing so much "change" that is really scary. I'm very sorry for your friends who are affected by this, it's tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so beautiful and sad of course. It is such a scary, scary time for our world and for the children in it. My husband is a frosh/soph basketball & baseball coach. While the cut of those programs wouldn't necessarily destroy us financially, we know that it could stand to destroy those kids that need the encouragement, an outlet, and the drive towards furthering their educations. It makes my heart and my tummy hurt :( Where did you find your statistics? I've been trying to find out how the budget is affecting my kids district.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing with us. You captured it all beautifully. I, who don't live in CA yet watch the news and read the paper daily, had not heard a single word about this. And I have to admit that the state of the education system has a bit to do with WHY we left CA in the first place. I'm so sad for all those kids and teachers, too. I have lots of friends who teach in CA and lots of kids I love who go to school there. I pray that things get better and change for the good of the kids and teachers, but I fear it's not in the near future. =(

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart breaks, as well, for my friends (including YOU) there in CA and for all of the students I've had the privilege of working with there. Thank you for what you are doing and the ways you are standing up for these kids and their future! As a (once upon a time) teacher myself, your words ring true to my heart - you all are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we live in a SICK TWISTED world.

    that being said, i feel most sorry for students who parents don't really give a rip. i'm a little bummed for my kids, but at least i can give them music lessons and pay for AYSO, etc...it seems to be all up to the parents these days, and unfortunately some kids are going to suffer. John is told he might get 50 kids per class. He can barely keep up with his current overload. so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this was so moving. with my parents both being teachers there i had heard about the problems but reading this really made things clear.
    thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My brain and heart hurt thinking about all this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is going to be very interesting to see what the long term effects of this will be. My mom works at an elementary school here in Nor Cal, and she is not sure if her job will be there come fall.
    What I am really worried about though is that it sounds like our high school here will be cutting out the majority of the foreign language classes, leaving just a few Spanish ones, because apparently foreign language is not a requirement to graduate high school, but it IS a requirement if you want to get into a state school or UC. If this turns out to be true, how will our kids compete to get into good schools? And of course, that doesn't include the threatened cutting of all the other elective programs like art, drama, music, sports, etc.
    Very, very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen!

    I do think I should point out that many teachers in the KHSD who were pink slipped could be rehired next year. It's just because of the MArch 15 deadline that they have to give them notice just in case. Also, many of those pink slipped are not fully credentialed teachers. Hopefully it will not be as bad as it could be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Said Olive. I worry about the state of our education system. When you where young the system was already so much less then the education I received as a child. Now that you are an adult your children are going to suffer from even more cuts.

    I just don't get it. The state feels that it is better to continue to set aside HUGE amounts of money so as tax payerss we can pay to feed, house, educate and provide medical care for the many many MANY illegal aliens who have taken over our state, but we can't pay to educate our own children.

    As a teacher to our youth, the future of our country, you should never have to worry about your job.

    ReplyDelete