Friday, March 6, 2009

Envelope System: February Review...

We did it! Month two of our Dave Ramsey plan and the envelope system is finished! Just like last month, we were hit with some unexpected bills... the Camry needed new tires, which sucked our emergency fund nearly dry. But hey, that is what it is there for, right?! It felt so good knowing we had the cash on hand to pay for such a big expense. As soon as we used the money, we got right to work replenishing the cash we had used. This month we also made our first balloon payment toward our debt snowball. Yeah! It is so freeing knowing we are working toward a better future for ourselves, and knowing that at the end of the month, as long as we are diligent, we can be free and clear of credit card debts and an over-extended bank account.

This month was a bit harder I think for Popeye than for me to hang onto the strictness of the envelope system. Popeye is a gift giver... and I told him NO GIFTS... even though Valentine's Day and my birthday both fell in the middle of the month. I know it must have killed him to not lavish me in gifts as he has done in previous years (how did I get so lucky?!) but he stood by the rules (for the most part!). I did get a nice box of chocolates, a container of yummy ice cream, and an adorable pot holder for my kitchen. Of course this money came out of the gift envelope, so I was happy that we stayed in our budget and he was happy that he got to give me at least a little bit of something for those special days...

This month I really worked on strategizing ways to save money while grocery and house shopping... I am not an expert at this in any way, but here are a few of my ideas that you may find helpful if you are looking to save a bit of money yourselves!

Buy in Bulk: I can't even begin to add up all the savings that buying in bulk has provided our family. Costco is our best friend... and even after paying the $50 for a yearly membership, the savings in the end are still amazing. I buy anything I can at Costco... some of my regular purchases are diapers and wipes, cleaning supplies, meat, milk, cheese, yogurt, and other similar diary products, cereal, oatmeal, coffee, and soaps and shampoos.

One of my most recent super savings purchases at Costco was lint rollers. Popeye uses these daily for work, so we go through plenty. At Target, one pack of 70 sticky pads for the roller is $3.99. At Costco, a pack of 5 rollers with 80 sticky pads each is about $8.50. That means the Target rollers are 6 cents each, as opposed to the 2 cents each the ones from Costco come out to. This may not sound like much when you are talking pennies, but when you add up how many we go through in a year, the savings is about $16. And this is for only one item! Think about how much you would save if you purchased all your cleaning supplies and everything else you can at Costco! That is savings a-mundo!

Plan ahead: I try to never purchase more than a few cleaning supplies or certain grocery items a month. In fact, I only have to purchase certain items once a year. I hate to run out of things, and so I keep track of what I need by taking inventory at the end of each month to see what is about to run out. If nothing is about to run out, but I can tell that 3 or 4 items will run out at the same time, I try to pick up a couple of those items this month and a couple the next month. When I have extra money at the end of the month, I take what is left in that envelope and get as much stuff as I can (especially if that item is on special or has a coupon!). I have a large storage shelf in the garage and a cabinet in the laundry room where I store all my goods.

bulk7

bulk5

bulk4

Note: I got this great idea from my mom... forget about expiration dates... instead, mark your goods with the date you purchased them... this will show you if you actually use this stuff, and how quickly you go through it. If it is November and I still haven't eaten these Poptarts, I will know not to purchase so many next time, no matter how great the deal is!

Check out coupons and sales: I try to plan my weekly menu based on what is on sale. For example, if tomatoes and avocados are on sale, our weekly menu will probably consist of tacos, BLT's, and hamburgers. If bell peppers are on sale, we will probably plan on eating shish kabobs, stir fry, and fajitas. Stock up on what is cheap, and make sure you use every piece of fruit, vegetable, or meat that you purchase. Last week, whole chickens were on sale at Fresh and Easy. I purchased a few, made sure they were sealed up nicely with my vacu-save, and stuck them in the freezer for future (cheap!) dinners. Poptarts were on special at Target, and since Popeye eats a packet almost every morning on the way to work, I grabbed several boxes... I got 5 for the prices of 3! Costco has amazing coupons each month. I actually go into the store at the end of each month and ask for a coupon book; even though they don't usually start until the 2nd week of the month, I use the packet to plan where and what I will spend my money on that month. One of the best coupons I've ever gotten there was for face lotion. I was purchasing it at Target for $15 a bottle. I then noticed that the exact same lotion in the exact same size bottle was 2 for $20 at Costco. I then got a coupon for $5 off... which meant I got TWO bottles for the price of ONE! What a deal! They always have great deals on diapers and wipes and cleaning supplies too!

bulk1
When it is helpful, transfer your prescriptions: If you have to pay for prescriptions anyway, why don't you use the recent influx of store specials on transferring your prescriptions to a new pharmacy to help your budget along?! Last month I received two coupons in the mail that offered a $30 gift card to Vons when you transfer your prescriptions to their pharmacy. I also received two coupons for $10 off my purchase of $50 or more. That meant that I could potentially get two weeks worth of groceries (I spend about $50 a week at Vons...) for just $20. Add some store coupons and coupons from the Sunday paper, and my weekly groceries could actually be free.

bulk2
$140 worth of groceries... after using lots of coupons and one of my $30 gift cards, I got it all for just $31 out of my pocket.  Those bottles of soda were even FREE.  That isn't what we drink on a normal bases, but HEY... free is free!
 
bulk6
My Food Saver is pretty much my new BFF... I love to buy in bulk when sales are awesome... My freezer is happy when stocked with yummy goodness!

I hope a few of you can find at least one or two helpful tidbits in this post... and I want to encourage all of you who are working on the Dave Ramsey plan to keep at it!  Every month that goes by is another month towards "financial freedom."  And please!  Share your helpful hints with me too!  The more the merrier when it comes to saving money during these struggling times... :)

12 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you guys. You are being very frugal and honestly, it's rubbing off on me. Yes I know, I'm not using any type of envelope system, but I am considering EVERY price before I make a purchase, shopping around for the best price and then asking myself if I REALLY need it. I usually don't, which is why I haven't purchased anything we haven't absolutely needed in a while now. Of course if I happen to see it on sale........

    I just discovered a great way to buy the big ticket items that we are getting. We WANT a new front throw washer & dryer and since the boy child is moving out and needs a set now is a great time to shop for the set I've been droooooling over for a while now. We have shopped and compared and researched until our eyes are bleeding and have found the perfet set. Read reviews. Always.

    Then we shopped and compared prices and found that we could get them FOR FREE using our American Express Points to buy Home Depot Gift Cards and then buy them. If you use or have used a credit card in the past that has a point value system check into the point value price on gift cards and get them. The cards are cheaper then the things they offer on line and you don't have to pay for shipping and can use them for reasonable things that you actually need/want not just golf clubs. :-)

    Oh and just a note on how I mark items as I buy them... I keep a sharpie in my kitchen drawer and every bottle, can, package and box gets marked before it goes into the fridge, freezer or pantry. I know at a glance when I bought something and move it forward when the new stuff arrives. You still have to check the expiration stuff but you have a better idea. Also, on items like ketchup etc that you open and then keep awhile, it's helpful to mark when you OPEN the product so as not to keep it in the fridge too long.

    And finally, when buying ahead on things like laundry soap, shampoo etc, I always make sure I have a spare on hand. As soon as the spare becomes the bottle in use, I add it to my list to buy in the near future. This assures you that you never run out but you aren't OVER stocked and that you can usually get it on sale before you actually need it.

    Olive, thanks for being an insperation to so many, including me. Just because we don't struggle doesn't mean we can't remember to be frugal.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on February!!! February was our first month using the budget we had set up in our Dave Ramsey class. It was so nice to be able to sit down at the end of the month, look at how we did, talk about it and adjust things for our March budget.

    I agree, Costco is great. Another way we were able to save on groceries was by doing a meal swap with some girlfriends. It is nice because I was able to buy in bulk when I was making 4 of the same thing each week.

    Keep up the good work, it is fun to hear how others are doing with this! Not a bad time to start getting smart with our money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I commented on this... but maybe I didn't. Hmmmm?

    Anyway.

    Glad your system is working out for you guys for another month! Kyle and I talked about using some of the ideas you have mentioned on your blog. First of which is the whole process of paying off debt. This is our first month of that (paying off smaller balance cards and using the snowball effect). But I also told him that he needs to get me a Costco card... or at least we need to make an effort to go together. He is on his parents account (which does mean FREE)... so only he has access to Costco. However, its probably good that we go together, because I don't know if i can be trusted alone at Costco... and I definitely know that neither can he. So maybe going as a team is best for us. :-)

    Oooh... this makes me want to go to Costco this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome!! I am so glad that you mentioned Costco... I have been trying to figure out how to balance between that and shopping at say, Safeway. I guess my fear with Costco has always been that I would get too much of something and then it would go to waste by not being used... having only one small freezer for storage is tricky as well. And you've got to tell more about your vacuum seal things - I know virtually nothing about freezing things, which I feel is biting me in the butt. My mom always used fresh meat.
    Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing, do you buy as much as you can at Costco (food wise) and then just supplement weekly at a regular grocery store? Do you go to Costco weekly then? This is so much fun to see how others do it and perfect timing to help me and Joe figure out what new ways to try for ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! Every month counts! John and I clapped and cheered that we survived February too! We even tried to make the boys clap, but they just stared at us like we were crazy. Feb was a little tougher for us and we even had one small argument(John is strict) but we survived and feel so very thankful for the progress we made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a great financial month, even with the unexpected tire expense. Woo hoo! way to go!

    I love your tips for saving while shopping. i think you've seen where I've been posting about this on my blog, too. I've actually found that I save more money by not shopping at Sam's (we don't have Costco) for the most part because I've started using coupons and store rewards at drugstores (mostly Walgreens, that's all we have here) to buy our household goods and toiletries. i seriously have enough toothpaste, shampoo, shower gel, spray disinfectant and toilet paper to last us 2 or 3 months...and I didn't pay more than $20 for ALL OF IT together. That does mean that it's brands we didn't usually buy, but hey - it all works and we haven't been disappointed yet.

    I still have a problem though...I'm on the lookout for great deals always, and even though I'm spending pennies, I'm still buying some things that we won't use (or shouldn't use). For example, I have a huge bag full of candy that I've gotten for free or pennies...but I'm not eating sweets right now, B doesn't eat many...so it sits there. I'll use it for gifts, Easter and a few other things, but right now it's just sitting there.

    Oh well...one step at a time. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sally: I'm laughing because that is why we got Pepsi... I got it for free, so I couldn't pass it up!!! And I love your posts on coupons and saving money while shopping, so keep it up!

    Band of Brothers: I am SO glad I am not the only one who claps with giddiness when I finish another month of this! :) I kind of want to make a sticker chart for myself so we can get some sort of reward at the end. Because, you know, paying off bills isn't reward enough. I want like a meal out or something :)

    Kate: I will do a post soon on freezing meat and stuff. I prefer fresh beef, but I do stock up when it is on sale so that we can enjoy the meat we really like more often.

    See Sherm Blog: Good for you for getting the snowball going!!! I can't believe the difference it makes. We weren't supposed to pay off Popeye's school loan until 2027 according to the payments they set for us, but with this plan, we should have it paid off sometime in 2011! Insane!

    MamaD: I can't wait to see your new washer and dryer. And to paint your laundry room! I can't believe you are ACTUALLY GOING TO PUT PAINT ON YOUR WALLS after FIVE YEARS of living in your house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you just come live with me? Seriously. I could use a whole lotta you around here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in awe of your organization. Seriously! I'm thinking I'm going to try this Dave Ramsey thing too. I've been talking to Josh about it, so we'll see. I love how quickly you are going to have Popeye's loans paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok. so I went to Costco today due to your inspiration. I wrote down all the prices on my shopping list so I can compare it to what I would've spent at the regular market when I get the weekly flyer. I'm hoping to see where my money goes the farthest and start to see how I can divide up my shopping to get the most savings. Thanks Olive Oyl!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did GREAT!! It's so motivating reading how others are doing on their plan and getting ideas for being more frugal! Oh - and your pics are great too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are doing an awesome job. It's so hard sticking to a budget but it gets easier and easier as you learn how to save and what not to do. This is great!!

    ReplyDelete