I hem-hawd around what would be on the list for a month or so... and then with my 'incident' back in November, my list went to the back of my mind as my main goal for the next few months became one thing: get well. Around the first few weeks of January I started to feel my "old-old self" (i.e., not the sad, lonely, depressed, anxious self from the past few years, but the super excited, crazy, zany, spastic, spontaneously ridiculous self from college and high school) started to slowly but surely reappear. With that came again the full force desire to have a few things to focus on in my life... a few things to motivate me to make some changes... a few things to help me be more optimistic and to challenge myself to constantly better myself.
Then in the beginning of this month another favorite blogger of mine, those corwins, also made a list of her own. I began to really feel the itch to focus on my list, to really think about what goals I had for my own life... and to get those goals down on paper so I would be more motivated to accomplish them.
Over the past few weeks, I've spent a lot of time thinking about my list. Some things I wrote down I actually accomplished just in this past week! So off the list they came and new items had to be added. Some items I had were just not possible in the short 1,001 days I've provided myself to finish the list (like going on a wine tour in Italy... or re-carpeting the house so that there aren't disgusting brown spots every few inches...). So off the list those items came, and new items were placed on it. This went on and on for a few weeks until finally... FINALLY... my list was complete.
I decided that today was the perfect day to publish and start my list. Today is a special day. My special day. My 26th birthday. And although I've never really thought that I had a set list of items I'd like to get done by the time I'm 30, this list seems to have become that. I'll be 28 1/2 years old when the time limit for this list is complete... and by that time, I hope to have not only accomplished every item on this list by then, but to have started a whole list that I hope to complete.
So enjoy my list, and come back and visit every once in awhile to check out my progress. Goodness knows I'll need some encouragement and cheering on from all my bloggy friends. And I'd love to see all of you join me in on this very fun adventure and crazy ride of completing 101 things in just 1,001 days.
in progress: italics / completed: bold
1. attend my first USC football game
2. take Swee'Pea to his first Dodgers baseball game
3. read my Bible and journal 30 days straight, 3 separate times
4. try five new restaurants (fast food not included) (5/5)5. plant a vegetable and herb garden
6. go a week without caffeine, three separate times
7. drink no soda for a month, three separate times (1/3)
8. go wine tasting
9. document Popeye and my relationship from dating through our first year of marriage in a scrapbook
10. buy Christmas gifts for a needy family
11. visit a friend out of state
12. ride my bike or take a walk 5 out of 7 days a week for a month
13. send ten homemade cards to people, just because (2/10)
14. go see the Christmas lights at CALM
15. go to the zoo
16. spontaneously go out of town for the day with Popeye
17. send five gifts or gift cards to people, just because
18. complete the last two classes I need for my Master's Degree (2/2) Edit: Instead of going for my Masters Degree (cost: $15,000), I am instead just taking four classes to finish out the pay-scale in my district (cost: $1,200). :)
19. find and purchase a fabulous piece of furniture for my house
20. save $50 in change... take Popeye out to a restaurant of his choice with the money
21. throw a baby shower for a dear friend or family member
22. pay off my school loan
23. bake zweibach all by myself
24. make homemade jam for said zweibach
25. go on a "big" trip with Popeye without Swee'Pea
26. go shopping out of town with my mom for the day
27. find a lipstick that I love... wear it until the tube runs out (without losing it first!)
28. drink a Cosmopolitan in New York City
29. start the process of making me another baby
30. go to a play or theatre production
31. visit my best friend from Fresno State who I have not seen since 2004
32. pay for the coffee of someone in line at Starbucks
33. buy a good bra that actually fits... do not let price be an option
34. tithe faithfully from every paycheck for six months... even when it hurts... especially when it hurts
35. write notes to every pastor from our church, expressing my appreciation for what they do and how they have worked in my life
36. bring treats to my mother-in-law at work
37. treat my husband to an entire day of no work what-so-ever... including diaper changes and taking out the garbage
38. go on a double-date with my brother and his girlfriend
39. take Swee'Pea to story time at a local library five separate times (3/5)
40. invite our families over for dinner... both sides
41. go out of town with my sisters... and no kids
42. host a holiday
43. floss my teeth for 30 days straight, 3 separate times
44. steam clean all the carpets in our entire house
45. avoid using a credit card for any reason for an entire year
46. buy flowers for my mom
47. take a picture I am truly proud of... have it enlarged and hung somewhere in our house
48. go on a trip with my best girl friends
49. ride the train to a nearby town with Swee'pea... stop and have a picnic before we ride it back home
50. buy an adorable kitchen accessory in robin's egg blue
51. create and build something useful for our house
52. shhhhh... this one is a secret
53. create a prayer calendar... pray every night for 30 nights along with Popeye using this calendar
54. go an entire week without watching television
55. take someone out to lunch spontaneously... pay for their meal
56. beat my husband at Scrabble
57. go an entire day without using the computer or my cell phone
58. share a good bottle of wine with a great friend
59. have Popeye take me out on a real date like when we were boyfriend and girlfriend... have him pick me up, bring me flowers, and make a move on me on the way home... pretend to play coy, then make-out like mad in the car
60. bring breakfast to someone I love... enjoy the morning being lazy with them while still in my jammies
61. go an entire month without stepping foot into a Costco or Target
62. go through all the boxes in the garage that haven't been opened since we moved into the house three years ago... throw all the junk out that needs to be tossed and condense the stuff that is actually useful
63. eat 3-5 servings of vegetables a day for an entire week
64. go to a Condors' hockey game with Popeye... willingly
65. turn my office into a tv/play/craft room
66. ride all 18 miles of the Kern River bike path
67. replace three of my favorite VHS tapes with the DVD version... donate the old videos to Goodwill
68. power wash our house and clean the windows inside and out
69. replace all the old pictures in our living room frames
70. create and publish a book of my first blog
71. call a reproduction endocrinologist to get a second opinion on getting surgery... actually go to the appointment
72. go on a picnic at a state park
73. take Swee'Pea to SnoFun in Shafter... let him pick out any flavor sno cone that he wants to eat, no matter how gross I think it is
74. make a DVD of our wedding video and pictures
75. buy a luminary at Relay for Life in memory of my grandfather
76. clean my house from top to bottom in one day without taking breaks to check my email or look at blogs
77. discover a new show to be addicted to... purchase the DVDs of each season to add to my collection
78. make a really good mixed CD of all the "classic" songs that make me think of my best friends, my hometown, and really great summer nights just cruising around in the orchards
79. read 100 books (53/100) Plain Truth... Animal, Vegetable, Miracle... You Grow Girl...Keeping Faith... The Secret Life of Bees... Three Daughters... The Tenth Circle... James and the Giant Peach... Nineteen Minutes... Perfect Match... Vanishing Acts... Songs of the Humpback Whale... Handle with Care... Wolves in Chic Clothing... Change of Heart... The Right Address... Momzillas... Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing... Island of the Blue Dolphins... Mr. Popper's Penguins... Sarah, Plain and Tall... Twilight... New Moon... Eclipse... Breaking Dawn... The Lonely Bones... Personal Record... Ultramarathon Man... My Life on the Run... The Hour I First Believed... Every Last One... House Rules... Family History... Heart of the Matter... The Help...Devotion: A Memoir... Rooms... Little Bee... Sarah's Key... Eat This, Not That... The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo... The Girl Who Play With Fire... The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest... Mennonite in a Little Black Dress... Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone... Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets... Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban... Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire... The Hunger Games... Chasing Fire... Mockingjay... The Last Time I Saw You... Radical...
80. try five new recipes (5/5) Roasted Chicken... you know, like the WHOLE BIRD!/Lemon Bars and Cookies, Raspberry-Peach Jam, Applesauce Bread, Amish Oatmeal Bread
81. create and publish a family cookbook
82. send a note to each of my grandmothers, sharing with them a favorite memory I have of them and something they have taught me that has made me a better person (2/4)
83. sew an apron
84. buy five of my favorite childhood books for Swee'Pea's collection
85. trade in my old jewelry that I no longer wear and buy something meaningful for myself with help from the credit
86. go out for drinks and appetizers with my husband three different times (anniversary and birthdays not included!) (3/3)
87. babysit all of my nieces and nephews for the day so that their mothers can run errands or just relax at home without children to worry about
88. attend my childhood church on three separate occasions (funerals and weddings not included)
89. write a love note to my husband ten separate times... attach a Snickers bar or a Red Bull to it and leave the note in his car so he'll have surprise before work
90. organize my closet... get rid of any clothes that I have not worn for a year or more
91. convince my best friend to move back home
92. find a fabulous winter coat... buy it
93. write down five things I am thankful for every day for 30 days
94. go sledding
95. take all my nieces out on an ice cream date, just because...
96. write heartfelt letters to both my mother and mother-in-law
97. go a whole week without making a list... be okay with that
98. save $500 towards a trip for Popeye and myself
99. go out to drinks and dinner with my besties... forget about the troubles and stresses and worries of life... laugh and talk and eat and drink myself silly
100. make a home-cooked meal for three different families who have just had a baby (3/3)
101. be able to load, aim, and shoot a gun at a target without assistance from my husband or brother... actually hit the target... more than once




This was cute. Made me teary eyed. I especially love 73. You know he will pick out a Smurf. And make sure the mix includes "what would you do if your son was at home...."
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHAAAAPY BIRTHDAY! Great list OliveOyl...I'm totally inspired. I love how so much of the list is about doing for others. I think that is the key to happiness for ones self. :)
ReplyDeleteDeleted the last comment b/c it had your real name in it. Sorry.
What a great idea.....I may need to start thinking of some things! It will be neat to see you cross off some items on that list. Props to putting down #61, that would be hard for me.
ReplyDeleteHave a great Birthday!
Happy Birthday! I have seen these lists too and am getting more and more inspired. I love your list am so excited for you! If I can help, let me know. My favorite thing is to cross something off of a list! ;) Which reminds me.. I should probably get started on my list for the day.
ReplyDeleteI am in the process of compiling my list right now! I think I might steal some of yours...
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday!!!! 26 was super fun for me. :)
ReplyDeleteI have been thinking about doing one of these lists lately also. Inspiring!
deleted comment from me, cuz yer name, duh!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday OLIVE OYL!
I loved your list, even though I can never make one cuz lists stress me out.
As per #85, I traded in a bunch of old junk at the antique store for Calvin's bedframe on sunday!
and p.s. tsk, tsk, you should floss your teeth every day, no matter what:) for me, if i don't do it every day, then i would skip ALL THE TIME.
I love your list! Oh and I think for number 11 you need to visit me (since who knows when we will be back in the great state of CA)! I love you!
ReplyDeleteFun list! The idea of me doing one seems very overwhelming right now. But I like the idea of having a set of fun goals like this. Especially over the course of 1001 days.
ReplyDeleteI volunteer for #55. Ok?
Wow, you came up with some really creative things. I'm so impressed. Can't wait to cheer you on to completion!! And BTW...I live out of state. =)
ReplyDeletehappy belated birthday!! i really hope it was wonderful.
ReplyDeletethis list choked me up at times, its really good. i have one for before i die but i love the idea of a shorter but not too short deadline. i am definitely going to do this and i am sure i will be using some of yours!
Ok I love #46. Wasn't it there twice though? I really loved the idea of it being there twice. Why would you want to change it???? I'm just sayin'
ReplyDeleteOh I love that you made your own list! I love having one. Because now when I'm bored, I have a whole list of things I can start on :) I hope you have fun these next 1,001 days
ReplyDeleteI started my list about a month ago and have only half way finished it. You have inspired me to finish mine!
ReplyDeletesomehow i missed this!! i think i was in NY when you posted it. i love #27 because i don't know 1 person who has ever used an entire tube of lipstick before losing it! and i really really really wanna know what #52 is ;)
ReplyDelete