One of my favorite fall drinks at Starbucks is a Nonfat Vanilla Chai Latte (extra hot!). But seeing as there isn't a Starbucks on my block (and their prices are nearing obscenity of late) I decided that this fall I would create my favorite drink here in my very own home. That way I could enjoy it whenever I wanted, and at a fraction of the cost.
It is quick.
It is easy.
It is delicious.
And it pairs perfectly with a crackling fire and a cuddly blanket on a lazy stay-at-home morning.
Enjoy!
Step 1: Boil your water on the stove. Having a cute little kettle helps makes this process more delightful.
Step 2: Get out your Chai tea bags. Please, please, please only get Tazo brand Chai. I'm kind of nuts over this brand right now. And their Chai is the best! You can buy it at Starbucks, or find it on sale for much less at Target or Walmart.
Step 3: Steep your bags for about five minutes. Go ahead. Use two. It will make for a much stronger flavor. And with the money you are saving not ordering this from Starbis, you deserve this luxury.
Step 4: Steam some milk. I just put about an inch or two in the bottom of a mug and microwave it for 30 seconds. You want it warm, but not boiling. Take out your tea bags when they are done steeping and carefully pour in the milk.
Step 5: Pull out your secret ingredient. Torani Vanilla syrup. I got this small bottle at Fresh and Easy for about $4. You can also find them at Walmart. Or, if you are a true lover of this drink, you can get a ginormous bottle for about $6 at Smart and Final. These are also tasty in Italian sodas in the summertime, so they really are fun to have on hand.
Step 6: Add your syrup. Now this is where you need to play around with the recipe to make it to taste. I had an exceptionally large mug, so I added about 3 tablespoons. Sometimes I add less if I don't want it as sweet. Stir it well and make sure everything is nice and blended in.




About 60-80% of the time I order a drink from there it tastes awful: burnt, chalky, bitter or some combination of the three. So I've been making my own drinks at home for awhile now. The taste is far more consistent, I can control the ingredients, etc. If I am going to go to the effort it requires to lug my three munchkins to a Starbucks and pay a ridiculous amount for coffee, it better have better odds of tasting good. But my standby drink is a spoonful of Trader Joe's caramel sauce and a splash of milk.
ReplyDeletelove your tea kettle...i have a yellow one and it makes me very happy to use it. i also love your mug! so cute. i drink at least three cups of tea a day and we're really enjoying loose leaf teas over here. they're seriously the best!
ReplyDeleteyep. i most certainly will be trying this. holla.
ReplyDeletedid you know this is my favorite drink too? oh hey. i'm reading blogs.
ReplyDeleteThat tea kettle is adorable! Love your blog here- and this is the perfect season for a drink like that, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete