Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Back to the grind...

Sorry I've been a little absent from my blog lately.  Things have been a bit... hectic.  Tomorrow I return to work after a loooooong and so desperately needed sabbatical.  The past four months have been pure bliss.  And while the first two-and-a-half were spent with me passed out on the couch or staring at the ceiling late into the night with insomnia, the past several weeks have been simply wonderful.  My stress level has been greatly reduced, my anxiety is more under control, and I've learned a variety of ways to help get myself out of the funk and junk of the depression I've been fighting for far too long.

I've been busying myself with all the odds and ends that need to be tied up before I go back to work.  Taking care of my garden, deep cleaning my house, organizing and stocking my cabinets with food to make shopping while working easier, cleaning the garage, organizing Goodwill piles, and generally just trying to make the transition to work much easier.

All that, of course, in addition to the lounging, baking, reading, journaling, coffee drinking, and playing I have been doing... trying to enjoy my last few days in the beauty that has been this time as a stay-at-home-mama.

I have generally tried to avoid the subject of my returning to work.  I knew it was coming, but chose to instead focus on the more joyful things in my day-to-day life instead.  Junior Miss practices... sewing dates with friends... planting flowers with my mom.  It breaks my heart to think of all the things I'm going to be missing out on when I return to work.  But I know that right now, it is where I am meant to be.

There are so many little things that I am going to miss about being at home...

mornings with Swee'Pea, having our milk and coffee as we watch a morning cartoon

warm days in the garden, weeding and planting and tending to my plants as Swee'Pea plays beside me

doing my quiet time in the sunshine of my patio as the breeze blows through the citrus trees in my yard

riding my bike to the store in the mornings to pick up fresh bread, berries, and yogurt

spending time with my mom, shopping and planting and going to Disneyland for the day

having energy in the evening to pick up the house, cook a good dinner, and stay up past my usual 8:30 bedtime... even on a week night

chatting on Gchat every day with Toni about ridiculously hilarious things like Gingers, reusable lady pads, and deep fried gerbils

emailing Jill every five seconds because she can no longer access Gchat and I must "talk" with her regularly or I feel deprived

getting my hardcore deep cleaning and 12-13 loads of weekly laundry done on Mondays leaving the rest of the week free for easy pick-ups and clean clothes

reading books above the 4th grade level... on subjects other than talking dogs, tiny mice, and children who live in boxcars

shopping at Target, Costco, Home Depot, Vons, and WinCo when nobody else is in the store and all the staff is so eager to help me

enjoying my evenings with my husband as we relax on the couch or cuddle in bed, rather than feeling stressed or anxious or busy with grading papers and essays

knowing that anything is possible every new day that I wake up, and feeling positive that each day will be more incredible than the last

As tough as it is to know I'm no longer going to be staying at home, I am trying to remain positive about my return to the work force.  Some of the things I'm looking forward to about going back to work are... 

unlimited supplies of freshly sharpened pencils and fresh packs of paper

the giddy children who greet me each day on my ramp

the recess chats I have with my colleagues and friends about everything from the ridiculousness of some of our students to our plans for the weekend

the pride I feel when a struggling student aces an area he or she has worked so hard to learn

going out to eat on Fridays at yummy Quiznos, Chipotle, or Cesar's Deli

having a schedule that gets me up and motivated each day

regular showers... without a small child invading my privacy

knowing that at the end of the day, my sweet Swee'pea and my sweet Popeye will light up when they see me walk through the door

and if we are totally being honest, I'm really, REALLY looking forward to June, July, and August...

Forgive me if I'm absent for the next few weeks as I get back into the swing of things.  But I promise that I'll have a double dose of Savory Saturday up for you this weekend, as well as a already-in-draft post about our beautiful garden and my already blossoming plants.

Off to prepare dinner I go!  Only 13 1/2 more hours until the alarm goes off and I'm back to the daily grind!

17 comments:

  1. You will be great tomorrow! A great teacher, wife, and mama. And you always have friends like me, who cant come out and play till after 5 pm anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you are feeling refreshed and rested. I hope it's not too bad getting back into the swing of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow! You'll do great and you're kids are going to be soooo happy to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will see you on Thursday! At least you only have 2 1/2 days and then a week of vacation. :) We have missed you at work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a great first day back cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh good luck!! i will make sure to say a prayer for you on my way into work tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh so today's the big day! I hope it's a smooth transition for you! YAY for freshly sharpened pencils! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope today goes well! Remember summer is just around the corner! (that is what I keep telling myself also)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just think how much your GARDEN will have grown when you are gone from it all day!! I'm super stoked about your new-found green thumb.

    There less than five things in the ENTIRE WORLD that I absolutely enjoy every part of, from beginning to end. Gardening is one of them, and I see you finding that joy too.

    Love you bunches!
    xox
    cnc

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope it was a good day for you! I know how much I dreaded that first day back. Thankfully, there are only a few days until spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to miss our mid-week Disneyland trips, our planting sessions and our random shopping trips too.

    I'm glad you're going back to work though. I think it's a good step toward being fully recovered and the timing is excellant!

    Plus, Swee' Pea gets to come visit more often and for longer and that makes Grandma a happy girl!

    I love you honey and I'm sure that you will enjoy being back to work and having a routine once you truely get back into the swing of it.

    Love you~
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss when you don't write, but it sounds like life has been so lovely at your home. Best wishes as you return to work - it's only a couple months, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  13. just wanna let you know i am thinking of you and praying for you as you re-enter the wild world of work! hope it's going well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe they took g chat away. did the carrier pigeon make it to you with my message?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm teary reading this. But then you made me smile with the list of things you are looking forward to. I guess that's a little representative of how you feel: smiles through the tears. You are loved!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was totally thinking about you all day Wednesday. You're such a good mama and teacher and I know you'll figure out the perfect way to balance both. Enjoy your spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope the transition went smoothly! Summer is getting so close!

    ReplyDelete